Unearthed Arcana New Unearthed Arcana: Psionics!

There’s a new Unearthed Arcana article out, and it’s all about psionics! "Their minds bristling with power, three new subclasses arrive in today’s Unearthed Arcana: the Psychic Warrior for the fighter, the Soulknife for the rogue, and the tradition of Psionics for the wizard."
There’s a new Unearthed Arcana article out, and it’s all about psionics! "Their minds bristling with power, three new subclasses arrive in today’s Unearthed Arcana: the Psychic Warrior for the fighter, the Soulknife for the rogue, and the tradition of Psionics for the wizard."

safe_image.php.jpg

In this 9-page PDF, there are also some new psionics-themed spells (including versions of classic psionic powers like id insinuation and ego whip) and two new feats.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Every 4e psionic class bar the monk was a quite different system than other 4e classes. I mean, the typography was similar?

Well...my experience was I could sit down at a table and you could hand me a character sheet and my AEDU power cards and I could run any class pretty easily without much effort. Its not like I had to relearn any fundamental new concepts to figure out how a class worked or go over a list of 45 different spells to figure out which ones I wanted to memorize on a given day.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Every 4e psionic class bar the monk was a quite different system than other 4e classes. I mean, the typography was similar?
Yea. they replaced encounters with points that turned your at-will power up to encounter strength. If that's "quite a different system", I understand why I have communication problems with so many posters on here.

The existence of psionic subclasses for wizard fighter and rogue does not preclude the existence of a full psionic class any more than the existence of arcane subclasses for fighter and rogue precludes a full wizard class.

JC has explained that they aren't going to make psionics a completely new and separate game system. If there seems to be sufficient interest in psionics from UA content, it is entirely possible that there could be a fully psionic class.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Yea also DDO uses some stuff the ravenloft part of it is basically CoS, and I think also Neverwinter had ravenloft recently.

Funny though, because Neverwinter is basically 4E, whereas DDO is 3.5E
Neverwinter has become less 4e over time, and is now...definitely not at all.

But yeah both games like to keep things current with what DnD proper is putting out, or at least put out the really popular stuff eventually.

Tony Vargas

Legend
The existence of psionic subclasses for wizard fighter and rogue does not preclude the existence of a full psionic class any more than the existence of arcane subclasses for fighter and rogue precludes a full wizard class.
Except that there's already a wizard class.

So, yeah, an official psionic sub-class for the wizard & rogue would preclude the Psion in the same sense that the official PDK & Mastermind preclude the Warlord - which is to say they really shouldn't but those who want to exclude fans who'd like one will absolutely use them that way.

Remove ads

Remove ads