Unearthed Arcana New Unearthed Arcana: Rune Knight, Swarmkeeper, The Revived

Another new Unearthed Arcana! "In today’s Unearthed Arcana, three classes each receive a playtest option. The fighter gets a Martial Archetype option: the Rune Knight. The ranger gains a Ranger Archetype option: the Swarmkeeper. And the rogue acquires a Roguish Archetype option: the Revived."

Another new Unearthed Arcana! "In today’s Unearthed Arcana, three classes each receive a playtest option. The fighter gets a Martial Archetype option: the Rune Knight. The ranger gains a Ranger Archetype option: the Swarmkeeper. And the rogue acquires a Roguish Archetype option: the Revived."

Screenshot 2019-10-17 at 21.14.02.png

Ashrym

Legend
I like the idea of the rune knight a lot. Would like to see more choices of runes.

Just reviewed the Rune Knight. I think I would swap out the 18th level feature for increasing Giant Might to a d10 or d12 instead. I don't like sharing ;)

Definitely. That was the first thing I thought when I read it.

5ekyu

Hero
My general observations on reading these three are:

Fighter - I like the idea and the toolkit approach. not as sure i like the size change as opposed to just tougher-stronger etc but thats fine.

Ranger - I like the creepy factor (halloween anyone) but i think the extra damage should be piercing first then later force. Alternatively, i would have liked it to deposit crawlies onto the creature and cause damage "at the start of the target's turn" with saves at "end of the target's turn" to shrug them off. The force and push back seems off theme to me.

Revived - I really like this idea and glad to see some mechanics for its features - because i have used it for a variety of elements. I especially like the idea that some features kick in "when you make a death save" as that is something I had not thought of and i can use that for a lot of cool crap. So, great stroy bit in that sub-class. BUT... i do not like its 3rd level half-undead features. What i would do at the very least is trigger them by "making a death save" to show that everytime you "open that door" these extras kick in - randomly - you get one. Also, the random roll for type of remembered IMO should be weighted - let you put a 1 on one type, 1 2-3 on another and 4-6 on a third to give a little more choice along with the choice of which. However, that is nit-picky.

To me, if i were to compare them against each other - no real reason to - the fighter rune guy is solid all round and most safe and least risky. The rogue one i really really like but it has some of the feature traits i dislike the most too. The stinger ranger is creepy and needs the most work. Its got to me the lowest by far interest level.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I like the idea of the rune knight a lot. Would like to see more choices of runes.

Looks like we're gonna need more giants. I actually thought it was quite cool how each rune was based on a type of giant which is great as a start and ties in with the giant growth theme, but the rune concept can definitely be expanded and I'm sure in a few days there'll be someone on reddit who has done exactly that.

Ashrym

Legend
5 runes per giant gives more room for theme or more choices.

Right now it's just selecting the one a person doesn't want. Compromise would 2 choices per giant.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
I really... Wish the Rune Knight was a Barbarian...

Swarm Ranger is weird. Not a critique, just an observation.

Revived is really cool. I don’t love the Sneak Attack beam, but otherwise I dig it (pun... intended, if I’m honest.

I agree with you on the Swarm Ranger. Super weird to me.

I'm happy with Rune Knight as a Fighter personally.

Looks like we're gonna need more giants. I actually thought it was quite cool how each rune was based on a type of giant which is great as a start and ties in with the giant growth theme, but the rune concept can definitely be expanded and I'm sure in a few days there'll be someone on reddit who has done exactly that.
There were other Giants like Ocean Giants, Desert Giants, Death Giants and Eldritch Giants. But in 5e they might have gotten retconned into something that isn't a "True" Giant.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads