Unearthed Arcana New Unearthed Arcana: Rune Knight, Swarmkeeper, The Revived

Another new Unearthed Arcana! "In today’s Unearthed Arcana, three classes each receive a playtest option. The fighter gets a Martial Archetype option: the Rune Knight. The ranger gains a Ranger Archetype option: the Swarmkeeper. And the rogue acquires a Roguish Archetype option: the Revived."

Another new Unearthed Arcana! "In today’s Unearthed Arcana, three classes each receive a playtest option. The fighter gets a Martial Archetype option: the Rune Knight. The ranger gains a Ranger Archetype option: the Swarmkeeper. And the rogue acquires a Roguish Archetype option: the Revived."

Screenshot 2019-10-17 at 21.14.02.png

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That is a race and they are born that way. This is a class feature that may not activate for a character til he is 15 or 20 or 300 years old and that makes no sense. It would be better if at 3rd level a partial reduction is activated, and at future levels the reduction gets better, until the current 3rd level ability is realized.

I mean, this Subclass is basically undead, or undead-ish, and this is just a ribbon ability not a major balancing factor. There is precedence for this, with the Undying Warlock.

Yaarel

He Mage
I like the concept of the Rune Knight.

The flavor might require caution − verging on cultural misappropriation.

It is clearly Pseudo-Norse, but mixes actual Norse words like ‘Haugr’ (mound) with nonsense words like ‘Skiltgravr’.

Moreover ‘runic magic’ is about inscribing an actual phrase to articulate magical intent into an object using the normal mundane runic alphabet. One can equally use the English alphabet for the same kind of magic method. It has nothing to do with a magical sigil or glyph or a Chinese ideogram.

This misrepresentation of Norse culture verges on abuse, like misrepresenting a Native American headdress.

Either make the Norse aspects more accurate, or avoid reallife Norse terms − like ‘runes’. Call it sigil or whatever.

The fictional misrepresentation causes reallife confusion and profound misunderstandings about Norse/Scandinavian cultures.

That said, I like the concept, especially the connection with Giant magic. It is cool.

Undrave

Legend
The Rune Knight is fantastic! It's not quite clear if the short rest recharge is for the Knight or the person who used the magic of the rune? Since, I assume, you can use them on allies' gear as well. There's potential for some shenanigans if you keep passing around the runic knife to say get over an obstacle or something but that's part of the fun I think.

Swarmkeeper is a fun concept, didn't really interest me so I haven't dug too deep into it for now.

The Revived... I'm not really feeling the Rogue aspect of it. This feels like a class-less subclass or something that everybody should be able to take... it's just...weird. Heck, it feels like something you should discover at 1st level not suddenly stop eating and drinking at 3rd.

I mean, this Subclass is basically undead, or undead-ish, and this is just a ribbon ability not a major balancing factor. There is precedence for this, with the Undying Warlock.

I still expect it to be toned down. The possible exploits that could be pulled of by not needing to breathe at all at only 3rd level are something that should not happen til much higher levels.

Sacrosanct

Legend
The Rune Knight is fantastic! It's not quite clear if the short rest recharge is for the Knight or the person who used the magic of the rune? Since, I assume, you can use them on allies' gear as well. There's potential for some shenanigans if you keep passing around the runic knife to say get over an obstacle or something but that's part of the fun I think.

Swarmkeeper is a fun concept, didn't really interest me so I haven't dug too deep into it for now.

The Revived... I'm not really feeling the Rogue aspect of it. This feels like a class-less subclass or something that everybody should be able to take... it's just...weird. Heck, it feels like something you should discover at 1st level not suddenly stop eating and drinking at 3rd.

I don't think anyone else can use it. The powers are written as "you get", meaning "you" as the rune knight.

Remove ads

Remove ads