Unearthed Arcana New Unearthed Arcana - Subclasses 2 [UPDATED]

The latest Unearthed Arcana contains three new subclasses: the bardic College of Creation, the cleric's Love Domain, and the sorcerer's Clockwork Soul. UPDATE - WoTC appears to have removed this PDF. The link now leads to the previous Unearthed Arcana. https://www.enworld.org/threads/wotc-removes-latest-unearthed-arcana.670098/#post-7910500

The latest Unearthed Arcana contains three new subclasses: the bardic College of Creation, the cleric's Love Domain, and the sorcerer's Clockwork Soul.

UPDATE - WoTC appears to have removed this PDF. The link now leads to the previous Unearthed Arcana.

Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 8.04.39 PM.png

As initially written, it's about 50-50 between mutual protection and infatuation/mind control. In addition to the Impulsive Infatuation Channel Divinity, it also has a number of Charm spells as domain spells, including Charm Person, Enthrall, and Hypnotic Pattern, as well as other Mind Control domain spells like Confusion and Hold Monster.

So while it doesn't necessarily have to point to a Cosby vibe, I can see how one could make that leap.

I just read the other class features and skipped the domain spells since I let players swap domain spells.

I can see the issue better now.

Undrave

Legend
I saw there was a bit of a kerfuffle in some quarters at some point about the Love Cleric infatuation power being problematic and being called the "Cosby Cleric." I assume that has to do with general commentary on love potions and the like as tropes in popular culture. What I really remember of the power doesn't seem to back that up at all and everything else about the cleric seems about mutual protection not charm or mind control. It should be easy enough for them to substitute out a different sort of channel divinity power that works closer thematically to the rest of the class if too many people get the whiff of unfortunate implications from an infatuation power.

It's not like the Channel Divinity lasts longer than a round... It's just a way to get someone to make a melee attack for, and you allies can willingly choose to fail the saving throw so they can get the Reaction attack. Very Warlordy.

Ok, this is weird. When I click the pdf link, I get the 1st UA article with Barbarian, Monk, Rogue and genie warlock. I can't get the second part of the UA.

Check your email.

Edit: Nevermind...it's doing it to me now as well. I should have saved it yesterday while it was still working for me.

Fanaelialae

Legend
I saw there was a bit of a kerfuffle in some quarters at some point about the Love Cleric infatuation power being problematic and being called the "Cosby Cleric." I assume that has to do with general commentary on love potions and the like as tropes in popular culture. What I really remember of the power doesn't seem to back that up at all and everything else about the cleric seems about mutual protection not charm or mind control. It should be easy enough for them to substitute out a different sort of channel divinity power that works closer thematically to the rest of the class if too many people get the whiff of unfortunate implications from an infatuation power.
I agree; I don't see any issue with it. The power says "intense admiration" and only last a round. I don't associate admiration with infatuation or attraction. Admiration is a feeling of respect. Personally, the only way I could see someone taking issue with the ability is if they misread admiration as attraction (or the like).

Remove ads

Remove ads