D&D 5E New Unearthed Arcana: Wonders of the Multiverse

WotC has posted a new Unearthed Arcana featuring the Glitchling race, the Fate domain, and a handful of backgrounds, feats and spells. In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore D&D character options from across the multiverse. This playtest document presents the glitchling race; the Fate Domain cleric subclass; and the gate warden, giant foundling, planar philosopher, and rune carver...

WotC has posted a new Unearthed Arcana featuring the Glitchling race, the Fate domain, and a handful of backgrounds, feats and spells.

In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore D&D character options from across the multiverse. This playtest document presents the glitchling race; the Fate Domain cleric subclass; and the gate warden, giant foundling, planar philosopher, and rune carver backgrounds. Additionally, a collection of new feats provide links to giants and other primordial forces of the planes, while a selection of new spells highlight the power of fate and chance.

Looks absolutely dire.

Rubbish.

Planescape minus everything interesting (or with it utterly minimized to the maximum degree), plus tons of awful D&D elemental Giant bollocks and Viking-style rune-carving nonsense which is a match for the Giant boredom, but a grotesque mismatch with the Planar stuff. As a "bonus" everything is utterly combat-focused, when this would be a good time to avoid that.

Two thumbs hard down.

Yaarel

He Mage
On the other hand, if feats with level prerequisites are consistently more powerful, then "normal" feats start to feel like trap choices at higher levels. I'd rather the developers try to keep feats balanced with one another* and reserve level prerequisites for narrow cases where an otherwise balanced feat would create issues in low level play.

*and ideally with ASIs, but ASIs aren't balanced with each other so that's hard t evaluate
From where I am coming from,

I love the feats having a level prereq. I see epic boons (in DMs Guide) as a feats with a prereq of level 21. Personally, I would like every class to get their feat at the expected level 20, rather than the given level 19. A choice of a level 20 feat, namely an epic boon, is the perfect capstone. One can always choose a capstone that one wants, rather than get stuck with a meh one if that is what the class forces.

I would love to have feats whose level prereqs are 0, 4, 8, 12, 16, and 20. Then feats that are worthwhile at those high levels become available.

In some ways, feats are like spells. There are spells at slot 1 that continue to be useful even at the highest levels. However, most of the time, when at high level, I would be choosing slot 9 spells, not slot 1 spells. Samewise, many of the feats available at level 0 are less useful at higher levels. It is better if there are higher level feats available.

So, the level prereqs make sense to me for feats.

By the way, I like less any prereqs for race and class. The point of a feat is to customize a character concept. To restrict a feat to a particular race or class defeats the purpose of feats in the first place.

I tend to dislike feats that require other feats.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads