D&D 5E New Unearthed Arcana: Wonders of the Multiverse

WotC has posted a new Unearthed Arcana featuring the Glitchling race, the Fate domain, and a handful of backgrounds, feats and spells. In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore D&D character options from across the multiverse. This playtest document presents the glitchling race; the Fate Domain cleric subclass; and the gate warden, giant foundling, planar philosopher, and rune carver...

WotC has posted a new Unearthed Arcana featuring the Glitchling race, the Fate domain, and a handful of backgrounds, feats and spells.

In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore D&D character options from across the multiverse. This playtest document presents the glitchling race; the Fate Domain cleric subclass; and the gate warden, giant foundling, planar philosopher, and rune carver backgrounds. Additionally, a collection of new feats provide links to giants and other primordial forces of the planes, while a selection of new spells highlight the power of fate and chance.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Exactly. A Racial trait is no different than a Class feature is no different than a Feat--

--they are all just a small, individual piece of game mechanic.

The only real differences between then are the various power levels they each have, so you have to be a bit more careful substituting one for another. But there is absolutely no reason you can't give something like the Halfling's 'Lucky' trait-- re-roll any 1s-- to a Class as a subclass feature if you wanted to. Or change the 'Lucky' feat to match the Halfling's trait if you thought it was better than 3 free advantages between long rests. They are all just little pockets that require a game mechanic, and what you put in there can be anything you want.

Now granted... the more times you redistribute game mechanics over lots of different game chassis, the less special they individually become. I don't disagree with that at all. The more classes and subclasses and races and feats that cast spells, the less special spellcasting is (unless you as the DM purposefully restrain it.) But I don't automatically decry Feats just because they are extra mechanics a PC can have... I don't feel they are any better or worse than a Class feature, they're just acquired differently.
I'm not convinced 5e ever considered spellcasting special. Neither did 4e, for that matter.

Micah Sweet

Feats aren’t underutilized because they aren’t a core rule. They’re an optional rule. They aren’t a required element to use to play the game and they’ve indicated that it will still be that way outside of certain settings like Dragonlance.
And Planescape. UAs for both of which heavily featuring the background feat idea have been released back to back.

To me, this is like Tasha's, in that they are presenting it as a limited option, but plan to roll it out for everyone as soon as the approval ratings roll in.

Micah Sweet

Only works with DnD Beyond.

WotC needs to create a power source that can be used for non-spell things that everyone has. Even something like PF2E focus points, etc, would work well.
It would make sense if they were pushing people to use DDB. But they wouldn't manipulate the rules to suit their agenda, would they?

Remove ads

Remove ads