D&D 5E New Unearthed Arcana: Wonders of the Multiverse

WotC has posted a new Unearthed Arcana featuring the Glitchling race, the Fate domain, and a handful of backgrounds, feats and spells.

In today’s Unearthed Arcana, we explore D&D character options from across the multiverse. This playtest document presents the glitchling race; the Fate Domain cleric subclass; and the gate warden, giant foundling, planar philosopher, and rune carver backgrounds. Additionally, a collection of new feats provide links to giants and other primordial forces of the planes, while a selection of new spells highlight the power of fate and chance.

Last edited:

Amrûnril

Adventurer
Personally, I love the feats with level prereqs. If the assigned levels are accurate and reliable, it means more powerful feats come online at higher levels.

On the other hand, if feats with level prerequisites are consistently more powerful, then "normal" feats start to feel like trap choices at higher levels. I'd rather the developers try to keep feats balanced with one another* and reserve level prerequisites for narrow cases where an otherwise balanced feat would create issues in low level play.

*and ideally with ASIs, but ASIs aren't balanced with each other so that's hard t evaluate

Parmandur

Book-Friend
On the other hand, if feats with level prerequisites are consistently more powerful, then "normal" feats start to feel like trap choices at higher levels. I'd rather the developers try to keep feats balanced with one another* and reserve level prerequisites for narrow cases where an otherwise balanced feat would create issues in low level play.

*and ideally with ASIs, but ASIs aren't balanced with each other so that's hard t evaluate
The higher level Feats aren’t more powerful strictly speaking, but they synergies with something else and build on it. The Level req isn't about power level so much as story.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Feats aren’t underutilized because they aren’t a core rule. They’re an optional rule.
They are underutilized in the rules - it's just that it's on purpose that they're not used as much as they could be. Which is why they're free right now to use for mechanics that tie into story elements that go across classes and races.

They aren’t a required element to use to play the game and they’ve indicated that it will still be that way outside of certain settings like Dragonlance.
Yes exactly - and where they've indicated that they're using feats like this is when they're tied to particular settings. Which makes them a reasonably good choice mechanically to leverage for this purpose.

This is so, so, so boring to me. I don't even know if it's anyone's fault; they are clearly out of "design space" in 5e. Some of the descriptions are flavorful, but when you get to the mechanics, it's translated into some combination of doing extra damage, imposing advantage/disadvantage within range, or getting a cantrip or low level spell that's on half the party's list anyway. For example, Planar Philosopher, in which having a specific philosophical grounding is translated into resistance to psychic, necrotic, or radiant damage plus a cantrip. Bleh.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases