New use for familiar?

TracerBullet42

First Post
A player in my Savage Tide campaign (not even the wizard character in the group) asked me an interesting question:

"Could a talking parrot familiar be taught to cast a prepared spell with a verbal trigger? It would probably have to be a stored prepared spell, such as in a wand or scroll, but still?"

My gut reaction is, "No, probably not."

But maybe...what say ye, oh sages of EnWorld?

Folly

First Post
The familiar does not have the spell casting ability so he can not do scrolls and wands, but a talking familiar such as a parrot or raven can activate command word misc items.

Another trick that a friend of mine is found of is taking improved familiar with an imp. Then going into Loremaster. Loremaster gives you Use Magic Device as a class skill. Since your familiar uses your ranks in skills, it can UMD all sorts of devices.

moritheil

First Post
TracerBullet42 said:
A player in my Savage Tide campaign (not even the wizard character in the group) asked me an interesting question:

"Could a talking parrot familiar be taught to cast a prepared spell with a verbal trigger? It would probably have to be a stored prepared spell, such as in a wand or scroll, but still?"

My gut reaction is, "No, probably not."

But maybe...what say ye, oh sages of EnWorld?

Yes, in a fashion, but it's hardly new (and not advisable to do it in the exact way you suggest.)

Having a familiar use UMD or wondrous items is a pretty old trick. ;)

There are also spells that imbue your familiar with some your spells, so you can save actions in combat.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases