D&D 5E New Vecna Battle (Let's Get Ready to RUMBLE!!!) - CONCLUDED

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Hmm. She will go 1, 6, 7, 4, 9 (believing he is at 10 from Vyrlim's description). She'll stop if she sees him and shoot (or keep moving to a better location if it is safe to do so, then shoot).

Without SA, attacking him will probably do more damage to me than to him. We will see...

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Hmm. She will go 1, 6, 7, 4, 9 (believing he is at 10 from Vyrlim's description). She'll stop if she sees him and shoot (or keep moving to a better location if it is safe to do so, then shoot).

Without SA, attacking him will probably do more damage to me than to him. We will see...
Remember, you SAW him leap over the balcony wall into the misty lower level as he moved away from you.

Also, that yellow arrow only indicates the direction Vecna is in... to be clear.

Does that change anything for your turn?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Oh, I missed that. I'll go 1, 6, 7, 10 and then hop down to the space south of 10 if I don't see him before then. (And if it is not too high to safely do so). I'll try to hide down there with cunning action and ready a shot if he appears again in somewhere that I can get him).

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Oh, I missed that. I'll go 1, 6, 7, 10 and then hop down to the space south of 10 if I don't see him before then. (And if it is not too high to safely do so). I'll try to hide down there with cunning action and ready a shot if he appears again in somewhere that I can get him).
Ok. technically you have to go to 8 before 10 because of the corner wall, but that shouldn't be an issue.

It is only a 10' drop, so no issue with your Acrobatics +11, you will automatically succeed to land safely (no damage).

When you drop down, you start coughing from the mist, which appears to be some form of poison (but you save so no effect for now).

You barely see Vecna around the corner as shown below.

1658079854007.png

You can shoot now, but hiding will be hard since you are only lightly obscured (honestly, can you hide at all in such a case...?).

So, @FitzTheRuke what do you want to use your cunning action for?

Stalker0

Legend
You can shoot now, but hiding will be hard since you are only lightly obscured (honestly, can you hide at all in such a case...?).
So the stealth rules are vague on such a topic (heavy obscurement is a definite yes but light is questionable). Most DMs I know rule that you can't, going with the notion that elves have the whole natural foliage hiding power (which is light obscurement, so they wouldn't need that ability if you could hide in light obscurement anyway)

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
So the stealth rules are vague on such a topic (heavy obscurement is a definite yes but light is questionable). Most DMs I know rule that you can't, going with the notion that elves have the whole natural foliage hiding power (which is light obscurement, so they wouldn't need that ability if you could hide in light obscurement anyway)
Agreed. I would probably rule light obscurement + dim light would allow you to hide, but with truesight dim light doesn't affect Vecna.

So, no hide??? Other people, what do you think?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
No hide from the obscurement, but do I also have cover? That might make it possible. Depends on the structure that's making Vecna in shadows. Is he invisible, or was he just hidden?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
No hide from the obscurement, but do I also have cover? That might make it possible. Depends on the structure that's making Vecna in shadows. Is he invisible, or was he just hidden?
No, he is in darkness, but with your darkvision you can see him (he was not attempting to "hide"). You have cover, but not total cover, so he can see you as well. You also have no movement left (unless you use Cunning Action to dash).

Stalker0

Legend
No, he is in darkness, but with your darkvision you can see him (he was not attempting to "hide"). You have cover, but not total cover, so he can see you as well. You also have no movement left (unless you use Cunning Action to dash).
That's part of the interesting notion of 5e stealth rules. Technically even if he didn't have darkvision, vecna would still NOT be hidden, and you could attack him. Now you would be at disadvantage, but you would know what square he is.

Even without sight, unless you take active effort to hide yourself (aka an action), your not hidden in fog or in darkness...technically. I have played with DMs that rule that you can hide "for free" in such conditions. I personally go with the strictest rulings on hiding and stealth because I have seen how powerful it is in my games. I think the action to hide is a very important game balance mechanic, and without it, it just makes stealth far too powerful.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Right. Then there'd be no time left to hide. I really should have made her a swashbuckler (I said Scout earlier, but I misremembered - it's the swashbuckler that can sneak attack an enemy when no other creatures are invovled, a scenario that's happened twice now).

Oh well. I guess I'll shoot him, but it seems foolish.

Remove ads