D&D 5E New Vecna Battle (Let's Get Ready to RUMBLE!!!) - CONCLUDED

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
4.5.12 (Vecna) Beginning his turn in the paladin's holy nimbus, Vecna takes 10 radiant damage.

Venca causes dark necrotic energy to engulf Selossen, but the sorcerer resists the vile magic (Roll18+13+3=34 vs DC 22 CON save), taking 48 necrotic damage (half 99)!

Vecna then stabs Selossen twice with Afterthought (Roll 12+13=25, 4+13=17 vs AC 14), dealing 15 damage (7 piercing + 8 necrotic) on the first attack. Selossen attempts to cast shield, but again it is interrupted and he takes 11 psychic damage. The second dagger hits for 19 damage (9 piercing + 10 necrotic), more than enough to knock Selossen unconscious. Vecna then grabs Selossen's Staff of Power.

Vecna then uses vile teleport, appearing 15 feet from Pyre and Selossen, who both take 15 psychic damage to Pyre and a failed death save to Selossen, and Vecna heals all his wounds.

Selossen has 1 failed death save. His bless spell is now gone.

He then runs to the balcony, leaping over the edge gleefully, yelling "I killed Sirius Black..." ;) and disappears into the mists below.

1657999370509.png

@Smythe the Bard it is now Vyrlim's Turn on Initiative 2.

Last edited:

DragonBelow

Adventurer
How did he know it's a staff of power if he has not used it as such?

He'll get a shield up, Selossen is either up or Vecna has one less reaction.

Stalker0

Legend
I would think Vecna can clearly tell its a magic item based on its coolness factor and how the PC would guard it.

That said, I agree he wouldn't know what the staff does, just as players are expected to take some time with an item to identify it (or cast the identify spell), Vecna shouldn't just go "oh yeah I totally know what this is" without having to do the same thing.

That's my opinion.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
He'll get a shield up, Selossen is either up or Vecna has one less reaction.
I'll update the turn with your shield spell, but yeah it will be countered. The damage won't matter to you, however, since Vecna will still require both dagger attacks to drop you.

Vecna has scrying he would have been watching the PCs for a while as they fought their way into his sanctum. Besides, I don't think an archlich would have a hard time recognizing a very rare powerful item such as that staff... Especially with INT 22 and WIS 24. 🤷‍♂️

Finally, it has been adding +2 to your AC, which he just attacked you in melee...

MarkB

Legend
Also, he has that "automatically knows the full capabilities of any spellcaster he sees" thing, and that would reasonably include the powers they derive from their carried items.

DragonBelow

Adventurer
I'll update the turn with your shield spell, but yeah it will be countered. The damage won't matter to you, however, since Vecna will still require both dagger attacks to drop you.

Vecna has scrying he would have been watching the PCs for a while as they fought their way into his sanctum. Besides, I don't think an archlich would have a hard time recognizing a very rare powerful item such as that staff... Especially with INT 22 and WIS 24. 🤷‍♂️

Finally, it has been adding +2 to your AC, which he just attacked you in melee...
OK, one of my complains about this version of Vecna is: he doesn't have the magical powers of an archlich. So I will accept that answer. But it's like he knows my DM gave me a very rare item and nothing else ;).

The staff is Selossen's arcane focus. If he manages to get up (big if) he is screwed.

MarkB

Legend
The staff is Selossen's arcane focus. If he manages to get up (big if) he is screwed.
That much, at least, Vecna would definitely know, having seen you using it as such - which is reason enough for him to take it.

On the bright side, since it requires attunement, he won't be using it against the party.

DragonBelow

Adventurer
That much, at least, Vecna would definitely know, having seen you using it as such - which is reason enough for him to take it.

On the bright side, since it requires attunement, he won't be using it against the party.
Selossen casted: sacred flame, dispel magic, misty step, meteor swarm, and bless. Only bless has material component, but I specified I used the one granted by Fey Touched so no components required... anyways.

Remove ads