D&D 5E New Vs Old

Raith5

Adventurer
I am an old player and I love combat. I like roleplaying and world building that gives the combat meaning - but man, I have enough social interactions in real life and if I want do some exploring Id go for hike. Combat is the one thing that D&D can always deliver on that I cannot do in real life. D&D is just team based escapism.

That not to say the game should adapt to newer players and non-combat mechanics and options should be expanded on - but I dont think that all older role players are all thespians or all wargamers.

Lyxen

Great Old One
Any way you slice it, D&D is combat is the primary part of it and everything else is secondary.

And that is only YOUR opinion, for your games, thanks a lot for that, but that's all that it is, your opinion.

Crit Role is great at what it does and i think people think that what they do requires D&D and it doesnt.

And yet, it's almost the only way (with minor variations, maybe a bit less real acting and (certainly) voices and maybe a bit more technical gaming now and then) I've seen it played in France and in the UK and in Australia and in Singapore, for more than 40 years, with hundreds of players of all ages, and yes, it requires D&D because all the other games that we've tried, despite all their qualities, had a different feel, and we all came back to D&D in the end, because it's the only game that gives us that feel.

So, no, total disagreement.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
And that is only YOUR opinion, for your games, thanks a lot for that, but that's all that it is, your opinion.

And yet, it's almost the only way (with minor variations, maybe a bit less real acting and (certainly) voices and maybe a bit more technical gaming now and then) I've seen it played in France and in the UK and in Australia and in Singapore, for more than 40 years, with hundreds of players of all ages, and yes, it requires D&D because all the other games that we've tried, despite all their qualities, had a different feel, and we all came back to D&D in the end, because it's the only game that gives us that feel.

So, no, total disagreement.
The game was LITERALLY adapted from a war game.

Oofta

Legend
It's not about new vs old, it's just different people having different preferences. I've always run a very RP heavy game, done funny voices, encouraged character interactions. I don't have the time to dedicate to as many hours as CR (or the Dwarven Forge budget even if I wanted to) so our games have slightly less RP and interactions. I hand wave quite a bit of shopping because I'm more interested in the story.

But while my DM sessions for the first year or so were dominated by dungeon crawls, we slowly expanded into world building and story telling aspects of the game. It was just more fun for us, combat is exciting as well but I want a reason for there to be combat more than to just get loot.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Which does not change the fact that the game was created primarily for combat.

Even modern D&D we can go through the PHB and DMG and MM and see how much of each is devoted to combat in some way vs not combat.
Yes, everyone knows all that.
This exact same argument appears on probably a dozen active threads on this forum at this very moment. And it's just as weak every single time it's brought up.

Last edited:

Remove ads