D&D 5E New WotC Survey! Learn About A New D&D Product!

WotC has launched a new survey about the future of D&D. This survey includes an NDA (which some people have not taken to well!) halfway through, which asks you not to talk about the survey on pain of being tracked down and fined, but it's about an upcoming (unannounced) new D&D product. You can find out what it is by taking the survey (or it's all over social media aready).

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Ho Hum, I did the survey and got tested on my rules knowledge and a lot of questions on my satisfaction on the PHB races. With which I am mostly satisfied. Then some on purchases made. I put zero as my subscriptions as I have bought FantasyGrounds Ultimate outright. Never got an NDA or a video.

Looks like digital is the direction of travel for Wizards. With the Dungeon Alchemist Kickstarter, the writing was on the wall.
Oh THAT'S what the hoopla is about? Don't answer that if it is and you got the NDA lol obviously, but I saw a couple of other oblique references to "D&D digital" from people talking about this on other parts of the net.

I didn't get the video, but I've been predicting WotC doing their own digital offering for quite a while now. It would also explain why the DNDBeyond people were so weirdly demoralized for the last few months, if they had some idea that was coming, and why a bunch of the more "official" D&D people who worked at DNDBeyond jumped ship a few months back.

That said, I hope they've got some sort of program for people who are already using the other products - because I'm sure as heck not re-buying everything and I doubt my players will want to re-create their characters and so on. I was kind of hoping they'd just buy Beyond.

Aldarc

Legend
Oh THAT'S what the hoopla is about? Don't answer that if it is and you got the NDA lol obviously, but I saw a couple of other oblique references to "D&D digital" from people talking about this on other parts of the net.

I didn't get the video, but I've been predicting WotC doing their own digital offering for quite a while now. It would also explain why the DNDBeyond people were so weirdly demoralized for the last few months, if they had some idea that was coming, and why a bunch of the more "official" D&D people who worked at DNDBeyond jumped ship a few months back.

That said, I hope they've got some sort of program for people who are already using the other products - because I'm sure as heck not re-buying everything and I doubt my players will want to re-create their characters and so on. I was kind of hoping they'd just buy Beyond.
You can bet there will be microtransactions. Let's pray their hypothetical service won't have loot boxes.

Thunder Brother

God Learner
I didn't finish the survey. Stupid NDA is stupid.

If WotC does develop an in-house digital service, I hope they include redeemable codes with physical releases, similar to how other publishers freely include a pdf copy when you purchase the physical book. There's already something of a precedent for this, with certain Magic sets offering redeemable codes for Arena (although it seems they've stopped doing this).

Otherwise, I have no interest in migrating over from Beyond, which is (mostly) functional enough for my purposes. I imagine this is also the case for people who've sunk substantially more money into Beyond products than myself.

Hussar

Legend
You can bet there will be microtransactions. Let's pray their hypothetical service won't have loot boxes.
To be fair, the last time around, WotC's digital offerings were stellar. For all the hoopla about Gleemax and whatnot, what you got for a very nominal subscription fee was freaking fantastic. Every single 4e official publication, in a searchable format for what, 6 bucks a month or something like that? Later on they did try a VTT which looked very promising.

I'm going to wait and see on this, but, if it's the same deal as 4e? I'll drop Fantasy Grounds like a bad habit in an instant.

pming

Legend
"Loot boxes"... I think you meant to say "Surprise Mechanics".
;)

PS: I didn't get any NDA thing either...if I had, I wouldn't have done it. All I got were questions about races, primarily.

^_^

Paul L. ming

I find no NDA but neither could be a spoiler about a future project. In the past I have said several times Hasbro's plans are about multimedia franchises, this means different types of products: toys, shirts, merchandising, videogames, comics, books. Let's remember in Hasbro Pulse the action figure of Drizzt D'ourden.

AndromedaRPG

Explorer
I was never prompted for an NDA, and only saw questions about the PHB races and a few "where do you get your D&D news" type questions. One oddity, I answered that I was aware of the office Discord, next question I answered that I never used it, then it asked me what I liked about it and a text box asking how it could be improved.
I had the same thing occur for me. Odd that it wanted us to give details on something we don't use!

Remove ads

Remove ads