New Year, New Campaign

As 2019 wraps up, Christmas may bring you new RPGs which encourage you to consider starting a new campaign in 2020 Even if you have an ongoing campaign, you might want to think ahead if you need to save the funds for a future campaign you want to run. Here are several RPGs and associated campaigns for you to consider.

As 2019 wraps up, Christmas may bring you new RPGs which encourage you to consider starting a new campaign in 2020 Even if you have an ongoing campaign, you might want to think ahead if you need to save the funds for a future campaign you want to run. Here are several RPGs and associated campaigns for you to consider.
newyear2.jpg
A low cost option for a new campaign is the Call of Cthulhu Starter Set (PDF). In print it comes with everything needed to play including dice and pregenerated characters. A new Keeper could start with the included solo adventure, then move on to the one player adventure Paper Chase, and invite three to four more players for the remaining adventures. The Keeper will learn the rules as she goes and players can play a pregenerated character or make one of their own using the condensed rules. As this campaign rolls on, if the Keeper and players are enjoying the game, they could start buying the full Call of Cthulhu rules for later campaigns.

newyear3.jpg

Old School Essentials (PDF) is based on Basic D&D by Tom Moldvay and the Expert Set by Dave Cook. It is not a retro-clone but the original ruleset with a bit of errata added in and one optional rule for ascending armor class. The Keep on the Borderlands came packaged with the D&D boxed set. Moldvay also co-wrote The Isle of Dread with David Cook. Combining the basic adventure and expert adventure together will provide a quintessential D&D experience. This campaign is at the top of the list of campaigns I want to eventually run, maybe using the Goodman Games reprints/5E update versions.
newyear4.jpg
A truly ambitious long-term game could take place over several campaigns. The first campaign would be uplifted animals in Mutant: Genlab Alpha (PDF). When the animals finally escape, the next campaign can be lined up. Robots would follow in Mutant: Mechatron (PDF) as they struggle to understand their hard fought for freedom. The return of humans to the Zone would follow in Mutant: Elysium (PDF). Mutants in Mutant: Year Zero (PDF) can then follow with the search for Eden. Once the mutants find Eden, the GM can introduce the animals, robots, and humans from the previous campaigns into the Zone. The players can then pick the characters they want from all the campaigns to run through the adventure The Gray Death (PDF).

newyear5.jpg

July or later in 2020, Mongoose is releasing the massive Deepnight Revelation campaign for Traveller which includes a boxed set and six hardcover books to go with it. The campaign follows the PCs on a twenty year mission beyond known space to uncover what dangers an alien species represents and how to stop it. The Travellers will choose to either be in command of a converted heavy cruiser or be expert troubleshooters onboard. Massive firepower and a huge crew will be available, but supplies and lost crew cannot easily be replaced so PCs will have to play the long game on this years long journey of exploration. Once my Forbidden Lands campaign wraps up this is the campaign I am most likely to run next.
newyear6.jpg
Chaosium has re-released Masks of Nyarlathotep (PDF) as a slipcase set with two hardcovers, a Keeper’s screen, and more for Call of Cthulhu. While the Keeper only needs the Call of Cthulhu Keeper’s Rulebook (7th edition) (PDF) to play, Pulp Cthulhu (PDF) is an excellent option to add as well to keep the PCs alive. My temptation would be to gather the Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition (Hardcover) Slipcase Set, Pulp Cthulhu, and Mask together and run a world spanning Cthulhu adventure with pulp adventurers (who have a better shot of surviving the campaign). It would take me months to gather the funds for this one, so I would need to start collecting books over the next year to be able to eventually run it.

If you think you will finish your campaign in the New Year or if you are currently in between games and want to get one started up, consider trying one of these options. Looking forward into a new year is a great time to think ahead about future campaigns you want to run. If you have other ideas for RPG campaigns feel free to post those ideas in the comments below.

Charles Dunwoody

Charles Dunwoody

lyle.spade

Adventurer
...starting an Eberron campaign, fittingly in Sharn. I'm updating the Forgotten Forge from the original ECS to 5e, and then stepping into Shadows of the Last War from 3.5, and perhaps the other adventures in that series. None of my players have spent any time in Eberron before now, and they want to check some of the major boxes of the setting: airships, the Lightning Rail, the Mournland. I ran two one-offs, one with them as House Lyrandar operatives guarding the launch of the first airship (a decade or so before the official setting start), and another with them as Warforged who woke up several months after the Mourning, in the Mournland (after fighting some ghouls they ended up joining a group of WF who were aligned with the Lord of Blades...).

So that's my new year/new campaign, which I'm very much looking forward to, as Eberron is my favorite DnD setting.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads