D&D 5E New Year speculation thread!

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Spring: Someone's Guide/Tome to/of Dragons (Draconomicon including the Dragon subclasses from the most recent UA)
Summer: Ravenloft or Innistrad Setting Book (based on the Undead Warlock/Spirits Bard UA)
Late Summer/Fall: Adventure book/books, probably taking place in Neverwinter or Anauroch.
Fall: Planescape/Compendium of the Planes???
Looks like I was wrong with the Spring release. Hopefully it comes out later this year (preferably in Q2).
Edit: Maybe they're doing 5 books this year? It's unlikely, but not impossible. They've done it before.

Faolyn

(she/her)
I think it will be the year of settings. We’re either going to learn what those three classic settings WOTC have planned to revive for 5E are or we will get that plus the first release of said material. I’m torn between the full setting book (which I’d prefer) or the module model (Curse of Strahd). I think they will go with the full setting books. But who knows.
There's an adventure in the Eberron book, but it's smallish and takes only a chapter. Chances are they'll go for something like that.

Faolyn

(she/her)
As much as I love Ravenloft, I'd much rather see Planescape, Spelljammer, Dark Sun, or even Mystara/Hollow World. Those three would have a lot more new stuff in them--info on the planes or worlds, travel, space ships, psionics, travel in harsh conditions*, becoming an Immortal/god--but Ravenloft, being mostly flavor, is unlikely to have anything besides the requisite archetypes/spells/monsters.

(*I've heard there's info on this in Icewind Dale, but that's an adventure, and I don't buy adventures I don't plan on running--and since I'm going to be playing in it soon, I definitely don't want to be spoiled.)

I hope it's not Dragonlance or Greyhawk. I never really liked them as settings (or the Realms, but too late for that) and I find them kind of boring. Maybe a good writer could breathe some life into them again, I dunno, but as it is, I'm not rooting for them.

Faolyn

(she/her)
I‘ve been thinking an undead themed monster book is due for a while,
A van Richten’s guide to ghosts or some such.
Van Richten's Guide to the Supernatural/Unnatural? Then all manner of undead, golems, and lycanthropes can be included.

As long as they don't make it the Foxgrove-Weathermay Guide to the Supernatural.

Remove ads