• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E New Year speculation thread!

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I wonder what the adventure path will be this year. There's no sure way to know, but I still think that they're going to do Neverwinter sometime in the near future. They've done all of the other major parts of the Sword Coast (Waterdeep, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale). The only two I can think they'd possibly do next besides Neverwinter (which is the most obvious choice) are Lantan and Silverymoon.

Something feywild-related would be an obvious choice for an adventure path, with the Neverwinter RPG update that's coming out/came out (I'm not sure which) that is fey/fomorian related.

Alternatively, they could do something in the Shadowfell. Curse of Strahd technically takes place in the Shadowfell, but as that's in Barovia, I don't think that really counts as a "shadowfell adventure".

Coincidentally, there was a three year gap between XGtE and TCoE. A three year gap between MToF and a new dedicated monster book? Sounds legit.

After the latest UA, Ravenloft is probably the thing in the Fall.

With the dragon-based UA a while back and this undead-based one now, I'm back to some old speculation whether we'll be getting a combined dragon/undead monster book (maybe with other creatures as well). After all, VGtM did mention that we'd see fiends, gith, dragons, and undead in upcoming books; we saw the first two in MToF, so perhaps the other two together in one book as well? I'm curious to see what theme they would come up with to link the two...

I wonder what the adventure path will be this year. There's no sure way to know, but I still think that they're going to do Neverwinter sometime in the near future. They've done all of the other major parts of the Sword Coast (Waterdeep, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale). The only two I can think they'd possibly do next besides Neverwinter (which is the most obvious choice) are Lantan and Silverymoon.

Something feywild-related would be an obvious choice for an adventure path, with the Neverwinter RPG update that's coming out/came out (I'm not sure which) that is fey/fomorian related.

Alternatively, they could do something in the Shadowfell. Curse of Strahd technically takes place in the Shadowfell, but as that's in Barovia, I don't think that really counts as a "shadowfell adventure".
The whole old Silver Marches area around Silverymoon would be a pretty good area to set an adventure. Magical cities, dwarven fortresses, mysterious and magical old forests, ancient elven and Netherese ruins. There are all sorts of ways to go there - I had a long-running campaign set in the area, and the variety was very much a boon!

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
The whole old Silver Marches area around Silverymoon would be a pretty good area to set an adventure. Magical cities, dwarven fortresses, mysterious and magical old forests, ancient elven and Netherese ruins. There are all sorts of ways to go there - I had a long-running campaign set in the area, and the variety was very much a boon!
I would love that, too. I'm in a campaign in that region (I'm taking over the whole place to revive Netheril), so getting official ruins and magic items that would be in that area would be very much appreciated.

If there is a new book of adventures my theory is it will be something of Dragonlance, Ravenloft or Planescape.

Maybe near this Halloween a book of gothic horror, but it has not to be totally linked with Ravenloft, but only the demiplane of the dread may be mentioned.

If there is a new D&D setting as "guest artist" in Magic: the Gathering after FR I guess Dragonlance has got a lot of ballots to be the lucky winner.

I am open-minded with the idea of a revival of Councyl of Wyrms, but this will be a complete reboot based in homebred Cris Perkins' Iomandra. Maybe a new class, dracolyte or something like this, with enough different subclasses based in the different dragon species.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
With the dragon-based UA a while back and this undead-based one now, I'm back to some old speculation whether we'll be getting a combined dragon/undead monster book (maybe with other creatures as well). After all, VGtM did mention that we'd see fiends, gith, dragons, and undead in upcoming books; we saw the first two in MToF, so perhaps the other two together in one book as well? I'm curious to see what theme they would come up with to link the two...

They certainly have a lot of room to produce a wildcard!

Parmandur

Book-Friend

IIRC, the Silver Marches play a big part in SKT, but then we got Icewind Dale last year.

They've had some media focus on the Moonshae Isles in the comics and streaming the past couple years, and that would be a good fit for a Get campaign based on SCAG.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I still think Lantan seems like the next place... I can't remember where, but Chris Perkins was indicating that more Lantan-stuff would be appearing. That was a LONG time ago so maybe it's gone, but I still remember it.

Faolyn

(she/her)
That would be a weird combination of monsters, but I wouldn't be averse to it. Well, except that there are so many undead, it might be hard to cover them all, even if they were just limited to the "greater" vampires, liches, ghosts, and mummies.

Remove ads