Unearthed Arcana New Year Unearthed Arcana Brings Back Those Old 2E Kits

The scout fighter looks like yet another take at a ranger, but one I'm personally more likely to use. For the Cavalier I might want some more feature related to social interaction, not just the horse part and a proficiency. Something along the lines of what the Banneret/Purple Dragon Knight got in SCAG or a new use of superiority dice. The bard colleges seem nice, but "Tumble" might have a...

The scout fighter looks like yet another take at a ranger, but one I'm personally more likely to use. For the Cavalier I might want some more feature related to social interaction, not just the horse part and a proficiency. Something along the lines of what the Banneret/Purple Dragon Knight got in SCAG or a new use of superiority dice.

The bard colleges seem nice, but "Tumble" might have a bit too many benefits compared to Rogue Cunning Action.

And I think the mastermind should be a subclass of fighter.

In fact, I think both are possible.

Porting subclasses from one class to another class is easily done, at least in some cases.

I think the system is more modular than people give it credit for, even if that modularity isn't perfect.

Also, this is one of my favorite UAs. I really like seeing new applications of both the bard's inspiration mechanic and the battle master's superiority dice. My only comment is that I'd like to see some additional flavor ribbons for the fighter subclasses, just to make them feel a little bit more unique. And I love, love, love the suggestion of alternate recharge mechanics for superiority dice. I think the new subclasses outside of the PHB should really try to push the mechanics to new places.

Bupp

Adventurer
Finally dug through all of this thread and have waited to post my thoughts.

I do think the scout and cavalier feel like battlemaster subclasses. Sub-subclasses if you will. I'm thinking for my game I'll add their Superiority Dice maneuvers into the battlemaster list and give more options. Same with a mounted fighting style. To go along with this I'll write up some quick one paragraph battlemaster "quick builds" ala the class quick builds in the PHB. "For a cavalier, choose the mounted combat style, and these maneuvers".

Might do something similar with some of these bard Inspiration Die mechanics.

Remove ads

Remove ads