NEWS; Gunning down the Snyderverse UPDATE Cavill gets the Kryptonite handshake!

You couldn't do it like it was originally - the anime-influenced vaguely cyberpunk future wouldn't quite work.

But the core theme of the relationship between an aging and bitter Bruce Wayne and a young brash Terry McGinnis would absolutely work. There's a lot of build off of right there.

For me, it would be a hard sell to call something Batman Beyond without the cyberpunk schtick. You could definitely create a new Batman spin off with the same "passing the torch" theme and still get me excited though.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
You couldn't do it like it was originally - the anime-influenced vaguely cyberpunk future wouldn't quite work.

But the core theme of the relationship between an aging and bitter Bruce Wayne and a young brash Terry McGinnis would absolutely work. There's a lot of build off of right there.
I think Batman Beyond would work better since its a lot more near-future now than it was in 1999. The show worked due to the Bruce-Terry relationship and its dystopian urban vibe, post-Covid makes dystopian urban life much more familiar.

I was thinking that considering superhero fatigue maybe DC could leverage its non-supers and roll out a series of movies like Gotham Central (Police Procedural) or Gotham Academy* or something espionage related (Sgt Rock and Amanda Waller might feature)

* Weird High School cashing in on Wednesday success :)

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I think Batman Beyond would work better since its a lot more near-future now than it was in 1999. The show worked due to the Bruce-Terry relationship and its dystopian urban vibe, post-Covid makes dystopian urban life much more familiar.

You really know how to bring sad reality into fun superhero discussions! ;)

ETA- you don't have to imagine a dystopia. You're living in it!

I don’t think superhero fatigue has set in. I think the new spiderman animated movie will do really well and I expect guardians will do well. I just watched the guardians holiday special and it was well done. Same with werewolf by night

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I think superhero fatigue is wishful thinking from the kinds of people who think bashing Marvel/Disney online will earn them brownie points with their respective audiences. There is very little evidence that people are getting tired of these things in the larger scale. As long as they're essentially a license to print money then they're gonna keep coming out and earning bank

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I think superhero fatigue is wishful thinking from the kinds of people who think bashing Marvel/Disney online will earn them brownie points with their respective audiences. There is very little evidence that people are getting tired of these things in the larger scale. As long as they're essentially a license to print money then they're gonna keep coming out and earning bank

Maybe? I do know some people that are super wishful for the end of the Marvel/DC hegemony on popular culture (call it the Scorsese school).

Thing is - they will be right, eventually. All of these things come and go. When you're in it, it looks like it will last forever because of reasons. And once the tide starts to flow out, you wonder why it ever achieved and maintained such cultural dominance for so long.

Whether it's one year, five years, or twenty years, it will fade and something new will be there to annoy people. There will always be superheroes, of course, I just think that history tells us that eventually the culture will move on to something else.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Maybe? I do know some people that are super wishful for the end of the Marvel/DC hegemony on popular culture (call it the Scorsese school).

Thing is - they will be right, eventually. All of these things come and go. When you're in it, it looks like it will last forever because of reasons. And once the tide starts to flow out, you wonder why it ever achieved and maintained such cultural dominance for so long.

Whether it's one year, five years, or twenty years, it will fade and something new will be there to annoy people. There will always be superheroes, of course, I just think that history tells us that eventually the culture will move on to something else.

So, you're saying the mouse should hold off on the SW stuff for a few years to be ready...

Remove ads