NEWS; Gunning down the Snyderverse UPDATE Cavill gets the Kryptonite handshake!

darjr

I crit!
Iā€™m just saying.
Cavill as Marvell Captain Britain.

How do we know what direction Gunn has taken?

As I wrote in this thread...

"In other words, it is a company with a crippling debt burden looking for a way out. Maybe that will be a sale, or maybe that will be a continued pivot to a lesser version of what it once was. But when looking at any decision made by HBOMax (or the parent studio), don't think of it in terms of creative decision-making, or the fans, or even the future of the company ... just remember ... 53 billion in debt needs to be serviced."

While we don't know the full scope of the plans, yet, we can see the following is the likely path:

1. Anything related to the Snyderverse? Gone.
2. Anything related to the Rock's attempt to insert himself? Gone.
3. Anything previously planned, but not yet filmed? Gone (but see 4).
4. Matt Reeve's Batman Detective and Todd Phillips Joker? Still good.

Pretty simple. People want to make this about artistic choices. In the future? Maybe. But it's not. It's about cash.

General rule of Hollywood is that it always costs more for the return than the start. The reason that Marvel wants to replace its actors with new actors isn't because that's what is creatively demanded- it's because it gets really expensive once the initial option contracts run out.

If Black Adam had made a ton of money, it might be different. It didn't.
Reeves and Phillips will survive because they are still reasonably low cost, and both made money.
Everything else? Getting reset to lower costs. Because the star of the franchise isn't Cavill- it's Superman.
I discussed your post with a friend and his feeling was that's why he thought they brought Cavill back because he was bankable with young with old with men and women.

Out of interest how much more would Cavill earn as opposed to someone new? I don't think Dwayne Johnson is as bankable as Cavill.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I discussed your post with a friend and his feeling was that's why he thought they brought Cavill back because he was bankable with young with old with men and women.

Out of interest how much more would Cavill earn as opposed to someone new? I don't think Dwayne Johnson is as bankable as Cavill.

Nope. Fun fact-Henry Cavill and the Rock share a personal trainer.

More importantly, the Rock's business partner is Cavill's agent.*

It had nothing to do with bankability. This was purely a power play by the Rock. He demanded the inclusion of Cavill. The Rock was hoping to dictate the terms of the DC Universe going forward.

Black Adam flopped. The Rock lost all his leverage. Pretty simple.

*Hollywood is driven by relationships.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I'm trying to picture what hasn't been done before in the movies and what could break new ground (on the big screen anyway).

Superboy movie followed by Legion wouldn't have enough built in audience, would it?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'm trying to picture what hasn't been done before in the movies and what could break new ground (on the big screen anyway).

Superboy movie followed by Legion wouldn't have enough built in audience, would it?
One thing Gunn knows: You don't need a built-in audience. Guardians of the Galaxy did not have a built-in audience. Peacemaker did not have a built-in audience. You need to have a vision, a good cast, and make a movie that can show a good-looking trailer. Make a good film, the audience will come.

A concept like yours has the added benefit of less preconceived notions - which are death to a project in our current times. "Fans" are toxic. "Insult" them even a little (by messing with their expectations) and they will bury you.

Superboy and the Legion is actually a good idea (though it might make a better TV show than movie franchise - though they really need to get away from the CW-tone of their TV shows. Go for action/adventure rather than schlocky pseudo-romance; which isn't to say that the characters shouldn't have relationships, they should, just less soapy, IMO).

Snarf Zagyg

Superboy and the Legion is actually a good idea (though it might make a better TV show than movie franchise - though they really need to get away from the CW-tone of their TV shows. Go for action/adventure rather than schlocky pseudo-romance; which isn't to say that the characters shouldn't have relationships, they should, just less soapy, IMO).

Legion is such a good idea for a TV show, they probably should have made it already!
-My avatar, confusingly. :)

Ryujin

Legend
One thing Gunn knows: You don't need a built-in audience. Guardians of the Galaxy did not have a built-in audience. Peacemaker did not have a built-in audience. You need to have a vision, a good cast, and make a movie that can show a good-looking trailer. Make a good film, the audience will come.

A concept like yours has the added benefit of less preconceived notions - which are death to a project in our current times. "Fans" are toxic. "Insult" them even a little (by messing with their expectations) and they will bury you.

I just made the "Guardians" reference in another thread, but with the suggestion of going for "Justice League Dark."

Snarf Zagyg

I just made the "Guardians" reference in another thread, but with the suggestion of going for "Justice League Dark."

I love Justice League Dark (they have some animated stuff in the DCAU), but I don't think it would be a good idea to start with for the live-action movies. It's ... well, it's dark! To do it ... JUSTICE ... you'd probably need to go R, and that's not the sure-fire money maker.

Honestly, a complete revamp of Batman Beyond might work. Or maybe Green Lantern - I think most people have forgotten the Reynolds movie.

The issue with DC is that they have a TOP TOP TOP tier (call it the "Justice League" tier) and then they have a lot of C-level heroes, but not much in between. Marvel has a lot more of the "B" types. IMO. And while Guardians worked, it only worked after the hard work of establishing the MCU was already done.

Plus, there is the possibility that superhero fatigue might actually be setting in.

Last edited:

Remove ads