• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

News on Monster Manual V

Interesting that the Phantom Ghast Ninja (is this a bad joke) got mentioned multiple times. It sounds, wierd, really really weird ( the ghast went to ninja school...and tha phantom part...uggg).

Jupp

Explorer
Honestly, I stopped reading and lost interest when I saw

In Dave Noonan's game, he seriously kicked our asses with the phantom ghast ninja.

That's a joke, yes? *looks at the calendar*

JRRNeiklot

First Post
I especially like this quote: "The truth of the matter is that we listen to feedback, but the forums represent only one portion of our audience. There are tons and tons of gamers who don't come here and read the boards, or if they do read the boards they don't post."

Those tons and rons of gamers previuously had Dragon Magazine to voice their complaints. I guess now they'll use the Digital Initiative, since they don't use the internet to voice their complaints. Oh, wait a minute.......

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
Jhaelen said:
I'd go so far to say you should rarely encounter illithids AT ALL! Typically you'll just have encounters with thralls until it's too late and the mind flayers' victory has become a certainty :)
In my Wasteland setting, the presence of illithids in the depths of the earth led to the rise of psionics among the surface population . . . the idea was that, in those areas, nearly every power structure ultimately led to one of these creatures.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Waylander the Slayer said:
Interesting that the Phantom Ghast Ninja (is this a bad joke) got mentioned multiple times. It sounds, wierd, really really weird ( the ghast went to ninja school...and tha phantom part...uggg).
Different strokes... it sounds like plain old fun to me!

zoroaster100

First Post
This one doesn't sound to good. Not only does it have classed monsters taking up space, but it sounds like they filled it with templated/weird classed monsters. I don't need ninja gelatinous cubes in my game. How about something more like Fiend Folio? That was a great monster book. Or like Monster Manual 3, except without so much errors in the stat blocks. Fiend Folio had some great monsters with potential for traction. WOTC should keep trying to create the new "githyanki", the new monster that will become a future staple.

Felon

First Post
Phantom ghast ninja? Now a ghast is undead, so is a phantom not undead? Maybe it's a template for making a corporeal dead incorporeal?

Felon

First Post
Nyaricus said:
I agree. I skipped right over MMIV due to all the bad rep on the boards, and my not needing a bajillion spawns of Tiamat.
Always sad to see someone mistaking a vocal minority for a general consensus.

Then again, I was disappointed with all the dragonspawn myself.

dren

First Post
Not thrilled with what I hear, as I'm not the biggest fan of classed monsters. I'll still flip through it, and if I see some beasties that I'd like to have I'll buy it.

Actually, who am I kidding, it's a monster manual, I know I'll buy it as soon as I see it. Class books, adventures, environmental settings hold no attention, I'm a sucker for beasties, it's probably the part of the game I love the most. ...sigh...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads