D&D 5E Next (3rd book of the year) endless speculation thread

Faolyn

(she/her)
It is a setting book, but it has 40 pages of monsters. Not sure we're getting another book this year with a big bestiary in it.
I think it depends highly on the setting. Ravenloft, Planescape, and Spelljammer (edit: and Dark Sun) have a lot of very world-specific monsters that are really necessary for the setting (for flavor purposes, at least), while many of their other settings can more easily make do with generic monsters.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It is a setting book, but it has 40 pages of monsters. Not sure we're getting another book this year with a big bestiary in it.

We know from last year that there are three old school D&D Settings in the works (Ravenloft being the first), and future Magic collaborations for that matter. More Setting books with fat bestiaries are likely in the near future (and Time of the Frost maiden had a fat bestiary, for that matter).

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
The AI campaign is canon. They can go back and forth, as they’ve always done on all sorts of things, but to pretend the two multiverses aren’t part of the same multiverse is mostly just funny.

This is the most recent statement on whether the two are canon, so I would take it the most seriously. It's also very clear, while the various material on Acq Inc is much less so.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I think that a Draconomicon and/or Feywild book could easily fit in their own books. We have had four Draconomicons over the years that were a fair size with the FR one in the 90s, then the 3.5 version that was about the size of a core rule book and then in 4e there were two FAT draconomicons focusing on the Evil and Good dragons respectively. We also had a full Feywild book in 4e.

We could be looking at a combined book but I doubt it and the UA for dragonic stuff was not at all Dragonlance like so it would be a very different Dragonlance if those are for Dragonlance. I think, like the Psionics stuff, that we are seeing test materials for later products and they may not be related at all. Some of it could be for a Tasha/Xanathar style book, which have so far been mostly class oriented materials with the Fey material for a themed book like a Mordenkainen as they have introduced race expansions with some class options.

I wouldn't compare anything to 4E... their books are so small in scope (as they published more books per year), when you compare them to 5e.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I wouldn't compare anything to 4E... their books are so small in scope (as they published more books per year), when you compare them to 5e.
Heroes of The Feywild is exactly the king of book that could come out in 5e, though. It’s a guide to playing games in the Feywild, or with a strong Fey influence, or even just with some Fey characters, and includes tons of player and DM material.

Remove ads