• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Next GRRM Book?

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Every time a miracle occurs, and a book is actually published, I swere I'll wait until the series is done before reading the just published book. And, every time, I read it right away. While we're all frustrated, they are still compelling books.

ssampier

First Post
Zaukrie said:
Every time a miracle occurs, and a book is actually published, I swere I'll wait until the series is done before reading the just published book. And, every time, I read it right away. While we're all frustrated, they are still compelling books.

I think most of us are that way. After Robert Jordan I said I've given up on long book series. But GRRM turned me around.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
ssampier said:
I think most of us are that way. After Robert Jordan I said I've given up on long book series. But GRRM turned me around.
Not sure I'd compare GRRM to Robert Jordan. Despite long periods between publications, GRRMs books have--thus far--managed to maintain the quality of the initial offering. Robert Jordan on the other hand... Well, I won't get into it in order to avoid derailing the thread, but suffice it to say I gave up on RJ for reasons entirely separate from the wait between books.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Lord Pendragon said:
Despite long periods between publications, GRRMs books have--thus far--managed to maintain the quality of the initial offering.
As I mentioned above, my wife bought me AFfC for my birthday, and she was a giant Song of Fire and Ice series fan... until AFfC. She reads about 2 fantasy books per week, and has for about twenty years. She has been an editor for a publisher and is an aspiring author herself. I got her to read A Game of Thrones and she quickly became a huge fan. When I told her I wasn't going to read AFfC she was salivating and picked it up promptly.

She put it down in disgust after only reading the half of it, and she was skimming the last few hundred pages she did "read". Very disillusioned with almost everything about the book. Too many uninteresting characters doing too many uninteresting things for hundreds of pages. In her words it was no longer the same quality as before. And with her background, I have learned to put some faith in her taste and opinion when it comes to epic fantasy.

*shrug*

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Eric Anondson said:
In her words it was no longer the same quality as before.
*shrug* To each their own. The only disappointing thing about AffC, IMO, was the fact that my favorite characters weren't featured. Naturally, in the previous novels, I'd skim over the characters I didn't like as much to get to Tyrion, Bran, and Arya. In this volume, all of my favorites (even Jon Snow, whom I somewhat like,) were missing. That naturally leads to a feeling of something missing. Dany, whom I despise but many adore, was also missing.

But the quality of the story and characterization was, IMO, still as sharp as ever. I went into the book knowing my favorites wouldn't be there. Basically, I tried to treat it as a new book that I just happened to know the backstory to. It didn't completely keep me from missing the (to me) more compelling characters, but it did allow me to make some new favorites, and appreciate the writing. Obviously, YMMV.
And with her background, I have learned to put some faith in her taste and opinion when it comes to epic fantasy.
With all due respect, this doesn't hold any weight with me. But it certainly proves that we all have our own opinions. ;)

I enjoyed the new book, but it was disappointing to have a book that left out my favorite characters. Still, there was nothing there to be disgusted over, IMO. A lot of character build up, and some behind the scenes things that point where things are headed.

Fast Learner

First Post
With me be knowin' my favorites wouldn't be in the tome, before I read it I first reread the series givin' the otherrr characters morrre attention. 'Cause o' that I liked A Feast Fer Crows just as much as the otherrrs, with Brienne and Jaime and th' rest becomin' new fav'rits. I rrrrecomend it, me mateys.

Cor Azer

First Post
Honestly, it didn't bother me that everyone didn't make an appearance in the book. The lack of certain ones especially, like Tyrion (even though I greatly enjoy his chapters), I think added to the mystery - with so many people looking for him, it's kind of nice for the reader to also be sitting there wondering, "So, where is he?"

Avoids the movie cliche of the audience shouting at a character to open a door because the audience knows the quarry is behind it.

Plus, we were warned ahead of time (well, those who visit GRRM's website) that not everyone would appear in the book, so it's not like I was turning pages wondering when they'd show up. Different expectations, and all that.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Eric Anondson said:
I wish I could get excited about anything for this series. I can't anymore. Well, correction, I think I'll get excited again when it's finished.

Yeah, when it's finished I'll pick it up but until then, forget it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads