D&D General NFTs Are Here To Ruin Dungeons & Dragons

Jer

Legend
Supporter
OH, it's fine to get the response.
The fact that he fell for 'sustainable crypto' shows he's still utterly clueless something that Linda Codega came by to share an article about how the crypto glipner is using still relies on Etherium.
One thing I love about that article you linked to is that it underscores that everything about these blockchain networks are public. We can compute all of the impact they make because in order to function all transaction costs must be public, which means that things like carbon footprints of transactions can be computed openly and it's impossible to hide what you're actually doing. You can lie about it, but someone is going to catch you in that lie.

Scam all the way down.

my bet? You’ll see similar things with gripnr

And this one too - you can lie about things selling out and whatnot but everyone can look at the transaction records and see that you're lying.

That's one reason why crypto folks on social media go so hard with their squid ink - people who understand the protocols involved can see you're lying and the only way to counteract that is to shout them down and drown their information out as much as possible.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
One thing I love about that article you linked to is that it underscores that everything about these blockchain networks are public. We can compute all of the impact they make because in order to function all transaction costs must be public, which means that things like carbon footprints of transactions can be computed openly and it's impossible to hide what you're actually doing. You can lie about it, but someone is going to catch you in that lie.

Agreed on this. That said, one thing people have been focusing on is that blockchain-based tech was obviously built from a place of great privilege.

If you're a techbro, it never occurred to you that life in public would be a bad thing for some people. However, marginalized communities (for whatever reason- and this includes everything from minority groups to LGBTQ+ to domestic violence survivors to people in areas of conflict) do not always have that luxury.

One of the most ridiculous and terrifying recent example of this was the spitballing about putting ... medical records ... on a blockchain. At a certain point, you just can't even.

It's one of those fascinating dichotomies that we have a technology that both facilitates transparency and openness while also being the go-to choice for anonymity and illegal activities; and that this technology (and associated wallets) is therefore so appealing to people with power yet increasingly seen as problematic for people that can be exploited.

(There's a few papers that have come out on this recently- I think I linked to them in a past thread)

Scam all the way down.

my bet? You’ll see similar things with gripnr

I'm curious whether that Star Trek NFT drop should be considered a failure. The more limited-run group of NFTs did sell out, and at $250 each, and 5000 of them available (and sold), that's $1.25M. It did seem a little surprising (to me, someone who assumes the worst when it comes to crypto grifts) that they didn't make much head way with the less-limited, 15,000 NFT collection. But they still sold 3381 of those, for $845,250.

In all, that's close to $2.1M. Not what they wanted, and maybe evidence that their 24-hour drop strategy wasn't so hot. But still, that's a lot of money from a lot of suckers.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
It's one of those fascinating dichotomies that we have a technology that both facilitates transparency and openness while also being the go-to choice for anonymity and illegal activities; and that this technology (and associated wallets) is therefore so appealing to people with power yet increasingly seen as problematic for people that can be exploited.
Once I took the deep dive into understanding blockchain technology it astounded me that criminals were using it to do anything at all. Sure the transaction record is "anonymous" in the sense that you don't have to use your real name to use it, but that anonymity is only preserved if you don't do anything stupid to link your account to your true identity. One screw up and anyone can trace everything you bought back to you.

The idea that people are talking about putting anything private on the chain is maddening to me. It's a clear sign that the person proposing it has zero idea of how the whole technology works. (Fortunately in any competent medical organization the HIPAA folks and the security folks should nip it in the bud quickly, but it turns out there are a lot of medical orgs that are actually incompetent once you get past the actual doctors and nurses on the front lines...)

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
EVE Online recently announced that they are NOT going to do NFTs

EVE Online is "space MMO" that has been going on for 20 years now, with a remarkably complex and robust economy that is 99.9999% player driven. It's also a game where PVP is very common and encouraged. And that PVP isn't just "pew pew I blew up your ship" - but also fierce economic competition, as well as a blend of the two (piracy, pew pew pew I blew up your manufacturing facility etc). This means that players scamming each other is not a rare occurrence.

And they don't need NFTs or the blockchain - a central database works just fine.

Remove ads