Nightsticks

werk

First Post
Kat' said:
Concerning stacking: same source, same effect => do not stack.

So...if you have 2 sticks with 4 charges each...you can't pull 5 turns out of them?

(I don't use turn batteries IMC.)

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
werk said:
So...if you have 2 sticks with 4 charges each...you can't pull 5 turns out of them?

(I don't use turn batteries IMC.)

There are no charges. The item gives one ability, to turn/rebuke 4 more times per day. Hence, even if you have two nightsticks in your possession, you would only gain the ability once.

werk

First Post
andargor said:
There are no charges. The item gives one ability, to turn/rebuke 4 more times per day. Hence, even if you have two nightsticks in your possession, you would only gain the ability once.

So use one, then drop it and use another one?

brehobit

Explorer
So here is how I read it (as written)
  • You need to have the Rod on your person
  • As long as the Rod is on your person, you get 4 extra turning attempts.
  • If you have 2 rods, you still only get 4 extra turning attempts (but this could be read either way IMO)
  • You don't expend charges from the rod, so if you use the 4 extra attempts and then pass the rod to someone else, they too get 4 extra attempts.

Personally, I would find it... unacceptable to be able to "use it" without actually using it. I say if you want the benefit you gotta hold the thing as if you're going to use it. Sitting at the bottom of your pack doesn't let rings provide you benefits, or having a shield in a bag of Holding doesn't let you make use of its special abilities, or simply having a wand of fireballs tucked into your boot doesn't let you lob fireballs.

There are very few items in D&D that actually provide benefits without need to wear them, hold them in your hand, or otherwise use them as normal. This would NOT be one of those few items. Just because its rules/description aren't written in airtight rules/legalese doesn't mean that loopholes make for a free lunch.

However, if you have two of them then (assuming you are using them properly) I see no reason you shouldn't be able to use them both to further supplement your turning. It's what you pay for (so to speak) by having two of THAT rod and not having a different one that provides different advantages.

Last edited:

Remove ads