Nightsticks

brehobit

Explorer
Can someone explain to me how these things work?
LM said:
Anyone who possesses the rod and is able to turn or rebuke undead gains
four more uses of the ability per day.

What is "possess"? Do you need to hold it? Would you "possess" it if it where in a back-pack? In a bag of holding? At home in a vault? (I "possess" a house, but I don't carry it).

And do they stack? If you have 2 of them do you get 4 extra uses, or 8? Why?

Thanks!

Mark

Infiniti2000

First Post
There's no D&D definition of possess, but my opinion is that it means to carry on your person. Although you own a home, I wouldn't say you possess it in the D&D sense. I would also quite honestly be strict about not allowing the item to be "possessed" while in an extradimensional location such as a bag of holding. It does not say "held" and other items do require that, so I would say you do not actually need to hold it in your hand, teeth, or whatever.

And from what you've typed up, I'd say the uses stack because they are not typed.

Slapzilla

First Post
I suppose a High Cleric could also 'allow' an acolyte to carry it on a sacred pillow and still possess it. I think I'd be less strict about the pontiff of a faith that has one of these in a church vault possessing it by at least involving a prayer ritual involving it physically somehow, but you can't just leave it at home in a locked box.

akbearfoot

First Post
You should just ban them....if you allow feats that useturn attempts for other abilities other than turning undead these things are broken broken broken.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I think the item is OK if you require that it be in your possession for 24 hours before they work for you, and you can only use one nightstick in any given 24 hour period. If you add those two houserules, the item should be OK.

kinem

Adventurer
I would rule that you need to touch (not necessarily hold, so you don't need to spend a move action to draw it) the rod while using a bonus turn attempt, and that the extra uses would not stack.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
kinem said:
I would rule that you need to touch (not necessarily hold, so you don't need to spend a move action to draw it) the rod while using a bonus turn attempt, and that the extra uses would not stack.

Would not stack with what?

eamon

Explorer
Mistwell said:
Would not stack with what?
...with other night sticks...

I'd reinterpret the item, and only allow the turn attempts it provides to be used as actual turn attempts.

akbearfoot

First Post
I can go with that.

only 1 nightstick allowed to affect you/day...period.

I still think it caters to divine persistant spell a bit much, especially with extra turning and a 1 or 2 level dip someplace to get the undeath domain. 15+charisma bonus turns a day.

Kat'

First Post
brehobit said:
Can someone explain to me how these things work?

What is "possess"? Do you need to hold it? Would you "possess" it if it where in a back-pack? In a bag of holding? At home in a vault? (I "possess" a house, but I don't carry it).

And do they stack? If you have 2 of them do you get 4 extra uses, or 8? Why?

Thanks!

Mark

I believe that possess should mean "carry on your person".

Concerning stacking: same source, same effect => do not stack.

Remove ads