• Resources are back! Use the menu in the main navbar. If you own a resource, please check it for formatting, icons, etc.

Nightsticks

brehobit

Explorer
Can someone explain to me how these things work?
LM said:
Anyone who possesses the rod and is able to turn or rebuke undead gains
four more uses of the ability per day.
What is "possess"? Do you need to hold it? Would you "possess" it if it where in a back-pack? In a bag of holding? At home in a vault? (I "possess" a house, but I don't carry it).

And do they stack? If you have 2 of them do you get 4 extra uses, or 8? Why?

Thanks!

Mark

Infiniti2000

Villager
There's no D&D definition of possess, but my opinion is that it means to carry on your person. Although you own a home, I wouldn't say you possess it in the D&D sense. I would also quite honestly be strict about not allowing the item to be "possessed" while in an extradimensional location such as a bag of holding. It does not say "held" and other items do require that, so I would say you do not actually need to hold it in your hand, teeth, or whatever.

And from what you've typed up, I'd say the uses stack because they are not typed.

Slapzilla

Villager
I suppose a High Cleric could also 'allow' an acolyte to carry it on a sacred pillow and still possess it. I think I'd be less strict about the pontiff of a faith that has one of these in a church vault possessing it by at least involving a prayer ritual involving it physically somehow, but you can't just leave it at home in a locked box.

akbearfoot

Villager
You should just ban them....if you allow feats that useturn attempts for other abilities other than turning undead these things are broken broken broken.

Mistwell

Hero
I think the item is OK if you require that it be in your possession for 24 hours before they work for you, and you can only use one nightstick in any given 24 hour period. If you add those two houserules, the item should be OK.

kinem

Community Supporter
I would rule that you need to touch (not necessarily hold, so you don't need to spend a move action to draw it) the rod while using a bonus turn attempt, and that the extra uses would not stack.

Mistwell

Hero
kinem said:
I would rule that you need to touch (not necessarily hold, so you don't need to spend a move action to draw it) the rod while using a bonus turn attempt, and that the extra uses would not stack.
Would not stack with what?

eamon

Villager
Mistwell said:
Would not stack with what?
...with other night sticks...

I'd reinterpret the item, and only allow the turn attempts it provides to be used as actual turn attempts.

akbearfoot

Villager
I can go with that.

only 1 nightstick allowed to affect you/day...period.

I still think it caters to divine persistant spell a bit much, especially with extra turning and a 1 or 2 level dip someplace to get the undeath domain. 15+charisma bonus turns a day.

Kat'

Villager
brehobit said:
Can someone explain to me how these things work?

What is "possess"? Do you need to hold it? Would you "possess" it if it where in a back-pack? In a bag of holding? At home in a vault? (I "possess" a house, but I don't carry it).

And do they stack? If you have 2 of them do you get 4 extra uses, or 8? Why?

Thanks!

Mark
I believe that possess should mean "carry on your person".

Concerning stacking: same source, same effect => do not stack.

werk

Villager
Kat' said:
Concerning stacking: same source, same effect => do not stack.
So...if you have 2 sticks with 4 charges each...you can't pull 5 turns out of them?

(I don't use turn batteries IMC.)

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
werk said:
So...if you have 2 sticks with 4 charges each...you can't pull 5 turns out of them?

(I don't use turn batteries IMC.)
There are no charges. The item gives one ability, to turn/rebuke 4 more times per day. Hence, even if you have two nightsticks in your possession, you would only gain the ability once.

werk

Villager
andargor said:
There are no charges. The item gives one ability, to turn/rebuke 4 more times per day. Hence, even if you have two nightsticks in your possession, you would only gain the ability once.
So use one, then drop it and use another one?

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
werk said:
So use one, then drop it and use another one?
Obviously, the description doesn't impose any limits on this. So it's up to the DM to decide if it's broken IHC.

brehobit

Explorer
So here is how I read it (as written)
  • You need to have the Rod on your person
  • As long as the Rod is on your person, you get 4 extra turning attempts.
  • If you have 2 rods, you still only get 4 extra turning attempts (but this could be read either way IMO)
  • You don't expend charges from the rod, so if you use the 4 extra attempts and then pass the rod to someone else, they too get 4 extra attempts.

Personally, I would find it... unacceptable to be able to "use it" without actually using it. I say if you want the benefit you gotta hold the thing as if you're going to use it. Sitting at the bottom of your pack doesn't let rings provide you benefits, or having a shield in a bag of Holding doesn't let you make use of its special abilities, or simply having a wand of fireballs tucked into your boot doesn't let you lob fireballs.

There are very few items in D&D that actually provide benefits without need to wear them, hold them in your hand, or otherwise use them as normal. This would NOT be one of those few items. Just because its rules/description aren't written in airtight rules/legalese doesn't mean that loopholes make for a free lunch.

However, if you have two of them then (assuming you are using them properly) I see no reason you shouldn't be able to use them both to further supplement your turning. It's what you pay for (so to speak) by having two of THAT rod and not having a different one that provides different advantages.

Last edited:

Advertisement