Nilbog! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhh!!!!!

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
We were level 2-3 cahracters in our 1e campaign. On our long quest, we encountered a lone nilbog in a cavern, and he got away (actually, the human ranger gave him a hike up onto his worhorse and sent him on his way quite politely, which obviously was not his intent).

But we got to meet him again a few days later.

We had infiltrated a goblin cavern, and were looking for the prisoner we were there to rescue. We were doing pretty good a this point, when my dwarven fighter heard the goblins making a ruckus because their king was returning. We decided to get out of there through the back door before the king spotted us... and ran directly to the FRONT DOOR, where the king was.

King Nilbog that is.

Well, we already knew that we had to try to do something different to escape him this tiem, so we all purposefully charged him, thus running away. We then climbed down the ladder on the cliff face to get to the exit. The bloody nilbog just jumped off the cliff, and hit the ground beside us taking 20d6 damage, really increasing his hit points.

In the end, we had to board a small leaky boat and head down the underground river and then got sucked through a whirlpool to a whole different part of the adventure, still with the rescued prisoner in tow... fortunately without the nilbog on our tail.

Stone Angel

First Post
I have never heard of this monster, it sounds awesome. Was it in previous editions? What supplement is it in? Is it current? Must find it.

The Seraph of Earth and Stone

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
I fear I may have the only Nilbod story here...

sigh.

Yes, as Olgar said, the evil little blighters known as nilbogs were in the 1e Fiend Folio, and before that they were in White Dwarf back in the day.

I don't know if they ever made it into 2e (since I skipped the whole 2e phenomenon), and I'm only aware of them being in Trouble at Durbenford from Necromancer Games.

In fact... you can dowload the Nilbog 3.5 edition from the Necromancer web site here:

http://www.necromancergames.com/pdf/tad_pre.pdf

The big difference is that instead of doing the opposite of what you intend around a Nilbog, you are affected by a confusion effect, which will mean a significant reduction in silly metagaming around nilbog encounters.

I like it.

Wycen

Explorer
Since no one else continued :( Bizarro Quinn: Bawk bawk! Bawk bawk bawk! Bawk bawk! I made an egg for you. Bawk bawk!

Anyway, I had a friend who played in a game where he met the nilbog version of Mickey Mouse. I later borrowed the idea and twisted it so that Disney was a deathknight commanding a twisted haunted house. It was for Halloween, I think.

SteelDraco

First Post
Bizarro! Bizarro! I'm helping!

As to nilbogs, I've used one once, and had a great time with it. It's from an old Dungeon magazine. The basic plot (as I recall, operating from not having read it for five or six years) is simply that a wizard decides he wants to study a nilbog, and hires some thugs to kidnap one. They do so, and hide it in a crate in town. As a result of its aura of opposition, crazy things start happening in the town. Things like merchants trying desperately to give away their wares, criminals, giving their things to orphans, all kinds of amusements like that. The only scene that really sticks in my mind is the party's fighter (a twinked TWF elf) pulling both swords, dropping them, and then beating someone to unconciousness with his scabbards. All in all, though, it was a really fun investigative adventure.

Bizarro (Leader): Did you interrogate him?
Bizarro Debbie: Yes, sir!
Quinn: Twice!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases