• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Nimble Strike, Careful attack, Twin Strike

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Cadfan said:
Trying to make Careful Attack and Twin Strike balance is a mugs game. The problem is that they both perform the same function- increasing accuracy. This means that no matter how you adjust the numbers, it will be possible to use a particular set of character stats and a particular target armor class and analyze which power is superior. The "meaningful choice" then becomes a predetermined outcome based upon your character stats and upon what you think the "typical" armor class is likely to be.

Its as if we had two wizard spells, one of which did 1d6+Int+Wis damage, and the other which did 1d10+Int damage. The only meaningful choice would be, "Have I got, or am I likely to get, a +2 wisdom bonus?"

Instead, these abilities need to actually do different things. Once something non-numeric is added into the mix, the ability to calculate the correct choice is removed. Choosing between the two is then a judgment call.

Personally, I'd do something like this- leave Twin Strike as is. Change Careful Attack so that it does full regular damage, grants +4 to your attack roll, but prevents you from moving.

Careful attack is likely to have more damage output under those rules, but it stops you from moving around, which limits the efficiency of Hunter's Quarry and makes you easier to hunt down. Twin Strike keeps you mobile and a little more accurate than normal, but cuts your damage. Which is superior? Its not mathematically determinable because how much you need to move isn't a number. Its a judgment call, as it should be.

Good reasoning, although since of the default choices Twin Strike is the clear winner, perhaps the simplest solution would be to say that Twin Strike prevents you from moving?

Thus you either take a careful strike as is (but still get to move), or stay in one spot and take a twin strike (with better chance of getting some damage, and some chance of getting twice as much damage).

(although my preference is still to just add damage onto the careful strike so it is just +2 hit over the basic attack)

Cheers

Saben

First Post
How about adding Wisdom damage to Careful Strike but otherwise leaving it as is?

I can imagine a Ranger taking careful aim and requiring a great deal of common sense and awareness to ensure the arrow strikes a vital organ...

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
toxicspirit said:
I was going to suggest adding the Wisdom modifier to hit as a possible suggestion.

Ohhh...now that would make me take it!

Personally I like the idea of one of: 1) bumping it to +4 attack, or 2) bumping it to +3 attack and adding the magic missile basic ranged attack language, or 3) your suggestion. Any of those would make it a good choice.

As for nimble strike and twin strike, I think both are fine as is.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads