Nintendo announces new GBA model

Ristamar

Adventurer
I wasn't going to get a GBA since the GBA Player for the Gamecube is coming out in May, but I think I'll have to snag one once this new little sucker is released in March. I've put the modifications/enhancements in bold...

• Self-contained LCD screen light, Flip-Up Screen
  • Initially in Japan the GBA SP will be available in 3 metallic colors: Indigo, Black, and Silver
  • US colors currently slated for Cobalt (metallic) and Platinum.
  • Europe will have the same colors as Japan.
  • Light is able to be turned off
  • Built in rechargeable lithium ion battery pack, 10 hours with the light on, 18 with the light off
  • Up to 32,000 simultaneous colours
  • Display Size 40.8mm x 61.2mm
  • Resolution 240 x 160 dot
  • 32 - bit CPU with embedded memory
  • Separate adapters for link cables, and headphones
  • Clamshell design, folds into a 3-inch square, an inch thick
  • Dimensions are 3.33 x 3.23 x .95 (82mmW x 84.6mmH x 24.3mmD) and it weighs approximately 143g
  • Compatible with virtually all existing Game Boy & Game Boy Advance games
  • $99 Price Tag

And here are a few images from Gamespot:

gbasp_screen007.jpg

gbasp_screen008.jpg

gbasp_screen002.jpg

Pretty damn sweet, IMO.

Welverin

First Post
A friend kept buggin me to get one and I kept blowing it off because it was low on list of things to get, know I have a good excuse to keep waiting.

Still only two face buttons, god I hate that. THere should be at least four!

Ristamar

Adventurer
Originally posted by Welverin
Still only two face buttons, god I hate that. There should be at least four!

I, too, was hoping for two more face buttons. On the other hand, had there been four buttons on the GBA(SP) model, I'm sure all the people that bought/received GBA's this holiday season would've strangled every single Nintendo employee on the planet for instantly rendering their current GBA obsolete. This model is merely a cosmetic enhancement, albeit a very cool cosmetic enhancement, taking portability to a whole new level. I can fit that puppy in my shirt pocket.

Ranger REG

Explorer
32-bit? Shouldn't it be 64-bit?

I don't know about you guys, but they should use the current GBA design but with a flip-top screen and a touchpad. The square design is blah. They could make the screen touch-sensitive.

I also hope they add a TV/FM accessory.

Ristamar

Adventurer
Ranger REG said:
32-bit? Shouldn't it be 64-bit?

I don't know about you guys, but they should use the current GBA design but with a flip-top screen and a touchpad. The square design is blah. They could make the screen touch-sensitive.

I also hope they add a TV/FM accessory.

Nope, it's always been 32-bit.

Screen? Touch sensitive? Yipes. I don't think they would hold up very well. I'm glad the poor little bugger finally has some protection.

Personally, I like the new size. The original GBA was portable, in a sense, but still too big to be extremely convenient, IMO. The 'new hotness' can fit in your pocket anywhere you go, and since the screen is protected, you don't even need a carrying case. People won't even know you have it with you unless you whip it out.

As for TV/FM tuners, there is third party hardware available. I'm sure newer ones will become available to fit nicely/aesthetically on the smaller model, as well.

Last edited:

Ristamar

Adventurer
Daiymo said:
I preordered today. Finally I can play Advance Wars without going blind!

Speak of the devil... Advance Wars 2 was also announced at the same press conference, as well as Super Mario Advance 4, though the nature of SMA4 is still undisclosed. I'm hoping for an enhanced version of Super Mario Brothers 3.

Remove ads