D&D General No D&D World Loyalty: Still playing After 37 Years

Hex08

Hero
Forgotten Realms was always my setting as a teen, but after they moved it forward 100 years I lost all interest.
I wasn't aware that was a thing. What edition of the game did that happen during? I bought most of my FR stuff during 2nd edition and never bothered buying new stuff after that because I still hadn't used most of the fluffy stuff in my game. Any 3.x adventures I ran in the Realms was stuff I created using old source books. Once Pathfinder came out I moved to Golarion (UHaul charged me a fortune).

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I wasn't aware that was a thing. What edition of the game did that happen during?
4e. For whatever reason the dev team thought they needed to make a bunch of changes to the realms to justify the rules changes - like they did when 1e switched to 2e. Instead of doing another Time of Troubles they jumped the timeline ahead.

It wasn't really needed IMO - the 4e rules worked fine as is and justifying where dragonborn came from and whatnot wasn't worth the grief. I also think they misread the room on what folks wanted out of the Realms as a setting.

Cruentus

Adventurer
We used FR for a really long time, 1e, 2e, 3e, and 5e. Switching to Greyhawk was great because most of my players (and we've been gaming together for 40 odd years) don't know Greyhawk as well (or at all, really), so its a blank slate for homebrewing while keeping the countries, deities, etc. It doesn't come with all the baggage that FR does. I'm running one game out of the original boxed set, and one game after "From the Ashes".

cimbrog

Explorer
I'm the same except replace Grayhawk with Mystara. My attitude for the longest time was to ignore the Forgotten Realms because I felt I didn't need it between Mystara and Grayhawk.

Now that I've gotten to know it I've found it to be very different from what I imagined and very good for good old fashioned adventuring, No Elminster or Drizzt intruding or anything.

Also as I've grown older I've found Mystara to be problematic as hell. I'm leaning towards revisiting Grayhawk, though, just because FR is so better known by my players. I had then pass through Longsaddle and one of them began talking about some wizard or another and I just decided there was a giant, long horse statue with a long saddle on it as a tourist attraction.

IvyDragons

Explorer
4e. For whatever reason the dev team thought they needed to make a bunch of changes to the realms to justify the rules changes - like they did when 1e switched to 2e. Instead of doing another Time of Troubles they jumped the timeline ahead.

It wasn't really needed IMO - the 4e rules worked fine as is and justifying where dragonborn came from and whatnot wasn't worth the grief. I also think they misread the room on what folks wanted out of the Realms as a setting.
I was very upset.
For Ed Greenwood is must be like losing a pet, suddenly in your fantasy world everyone has died (unless you are an elf or a dwarf).
And then on top of that they starting fabricating excuses why certain people are still alive, Manshoon, Fzoul Chembryl, Durnan and his longevity potions.
Complete and utter mess.

Voadam

Legend
The Forgotten Realms wiki is also awesome. It's so nice to have an entry on almost every town, forest, mountain range or river on the map, which you can use as a starting point of the homebrew campaign.

I've built multiple homebrew campaigns on the Forgotten Realms - never read a single pre-written adventure, only the wiki to guide me and then wrote my own evil plans to kill the party interesting plot hooks to encourage the player characters to explore.
The Golarion wiki for the Pathfinder world is pretty fantastic too.

I've also found neat stuff on an Eberron Wiki and a Ptolus one (though the d20 Ptolus one was not as comprehensive as the official world ones as might be expected from the size of fan bases).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases