• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) No Dwarf, Halfling, and Orc suborgins, lineages, and legacies

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Players creating characters independent of the setting is such a common trope that it is lampooned in several webcomics that predate 5e. Goblins! makes fun of it in its first arc, when 3 of the PCs for the campaign are Drizz’t clones. Order of the Stick has an evil wizard that’s basically Drizz’t as a wizard.
This is a bizarre and illogically self contradicting stance for a game where multiple players are the norm. When those characters depend on the presence of entities structures lore and tropes/themes being present in the setting world they cease to be "independent of the setting".

Last edited:

But maybe the subraces could enjoy their own subrace feats, or certain subraces could "borrow" racial traits from other specie, like if they share some common ancestor. For example Tallfellow could get some elf racial feat, and stouts could enjoy some dwarf racial feats.

And players with a lot of imagination can rewritte them totally to add a special touch.

The jerren from "Book of Vile Darkness" for gameplay effects are the classic halflings but with different skills bonus, but about the lore they are the opposite of hobbits erstaz.

The wisplings are like the tielfling-touched cousin of the halflings, and with their power of the change form... I don't want to imagine the damage of players who have watched too much Rule34 web.

This is a bizarre and illogically self contradicting stance for a game where multiple players are the norm. When those characters depend on the presence of entities structures lore and tropes/themes being present in the setting world they cease to be "independent of the setting".
And yet it exists. It existed before 5e, it existed before 3e.

Saying that the use of passive voice in one chapter of the PHB is what caused it is the illogical bit.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
And yet it exists. It existed before 5e, it existed before 3e.

Saying that the use of passive voice in one chapter of the PHB is what caused it is the illogical bit.
No you are talking about a different situation now because 5e changed the role that background and backstory plays along with a significant boost to the weight it should be given.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
No you are talking about a different situation now because 5e changed the role that background and backstory plays along with a significant boost to the weight it should be given.
I wouldn't say its a different situation and I wouldn't say 5E's addition of a background really did much to change what players do.

1E was built on the assumption you'd just drag the one character from group to group, its part of D&D's blood.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I wouldn't say its a different situation and I wouldn't say 5E's addition of a background really did much to change what players do.

1E was built on the assumption you'd just drag the one character from group to group, its part of D&D's blood.
In another thread people are literally using a background feature chosen during chargen to argue that the gm needs to allow players to do things like send messages to be sent though the mists of ravenloft to & from FR because of a background choice & it goes on with other backgrounds. It is not "part of d&d's blood".

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
In another thread people are literally using a background feature chosen during chargen to argue that the gm needs to allow players to do things like send messages to be sent though the mists of ravenloft to & from FR because of a background choice & it goes on with other backgrounds. It is not "part of d&d's blood".
One of the gods from Greyhawk is from Boot Hill. It is absolutely something people did back in the day.

"You take your character around to different tables and they go through adventures with that DM" pre-dates the existence of Ravenloft

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
oh boy, fun /s, what thread is that happening in? cause i don't see any obvious ones where it might be happening but that doesn't really mean much the way threads drift around here.

Hussar

Legend
Never minding things like Spelljammer which are predicated on being able to play nearly anything the player wants in any setting.

How did your Kender end up in Forgotten Realms? Hitched a ride on a Spelljammer.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
oh boy, fun /s, what thread is that happening in? cause i don't see any obvious ones where it might be happening but that doesn't really mean much the way threads drift around here.
It's been going off & on for many many pages in the do you plan to adopt 2024 thread. Every once in a while the topic will drift for a bit until someone goes back to why a noble folk hero criminal or whatever from FR must be allowed to use it after being pulled into [edit:ravenloft].

Remove ads