• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

No Familiars?

Lensman

First Post
Reading over my books, I just noticed that there are no Familiars anymore. Hummm....I am going to have to house rule something to bring them back.

Branduil

Hero
There's absolutely no rule against your Wizard owning whatever kind of animal he wants.

They just wouldn't give any mechanical benefit.

VannATLC

First Post
Be very aware they were removed for a reason, and bringing them back is likely to break things, in a reasonably large way, if you model them on the 3e versions.

Vanuslux

Explorer
That is a little odd, but it doesn't bother me too much. I'm sure someone will create and share rules for them eventually...in the meantime...their absence isn't going to be a huge problem.

Sitara

Explorer
Yes, the reason was that they were utter and total crap. If you bring them back modeled after 3e the only thing you will 'break' is your own poor wizard.

I suggest evil wizards be given the imp familiar (and the appropriate ritual to summon it).The caster can control is through verbal commands, and the imp also give +2bonus to arcana checks. Also fights for you.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Small animals with no mechanical effect = 100% awesome.

You could probably re-flavor some Utility powers (like Ambassador Imp) to use your familiar, and possibly even some Attack spells (particularly Conjurations, like Flaming Sphere -> Flaming Ferret).

Cheers, -- N

Lizard

Explorer
Sitara said:
Yes, the reason was that they were utter and total crap. If you bring them back modeled after 3e the only thing you will 'break' is your own poor wizard.

Uhm....what game were you playing?

'cause in the one I'm in, familiars are t3h awesome. Let's see, I polymorph myself into a hydra...and my familiar changes along with me. Two 9-headed hydras against one foe==18 attacks per round. Some of 'em are bound to hit. :)

Another PC regularly use his (bird) familiar to deliver all kind and manner of devastating touch spells, and has it so buffed that it's rarely in danger.

Speak with others of kind -- you have any idea how much information you can gather from the local birds or rats?

I have a player in my campaign who has a fairly important familiar. It's a little flittering bat made of shadow that talks to him, spies, and whispers for him to do evil things. How should I best model this in 4th Edition, using the economy of actions?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
BendBars/LiftGates said:
I have a player in my campaign who has a fairly important familiar. It's a little flittering bat made of shadow that talks to him, spies, and whispers for him to do evil things. How should I best model this in 4th Edition, using the economy of actions?
What specifically can it do?

Spying: Is it just a bonus on Perception?
Talking, Eviling: Free actions, no economic impact. :)

Cheers, -- N

Remove ads