• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E No Magic Shops!

Where in the current (5E) Realms do you see the Thayan operations? I have every single 5e book from WotC and can't recall any reference.
I'm going on the notion that if 5e realms doesn't specifically call out something is changed from previous editions, then status is as for the previous edition.

G

Guest 6801328

I'm going on the notion that if 5e realms doesn't specifically call out something is changed from previous editions, then status is as for the previous edition.

Well, good luck with that. I don't expect they are going to either update the novels or publish addenda. ("On page 37, where Drizzt detects evil, note that this is no longer an ability. Insert 'suspected foul play' instead.")

Satyrn

First Post

Going on that notion doesn't seem to be working for you as well as going on Zard's notion would.

Last edited:

Well, good luck with that. I don't expect they are going to either update the novels or publish addenda. ("On page 37, where Drizzt detects evil, note that this is no longer an ability. Insert 'suspected foul play' instead.")
Not what I meant. If 3e says undead lord X rules region Y, he does so still in 5e unless stated otherwise. If Thayans (and others) sell :):):):) in previous editions, they still do unless stated otherwise.

Magic item are great reward for player, and can be compared to Christmas gift for a kid.
It can be a source of wonder or deception...
It is a family affair. Don’t mess up with a mother about how to gave gift to it’s childs!

Some table will be pleased with full access open market, others with random rare items.
It is to the Dm to figure out what is best for its table. RAW give him full authority in this matter.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Magic item are great reward for player, and can be compared to Christmas gift for a kid.
It is a family affair. Don’t mess up with a mother about how to gave gift to it’s childs!

Some table will be pleased with full access open market, others with random rare items.
It is to the Dm to figure out what is best for its table. RAW give him full authority in this matter.

This is a patronizing approach to the game.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Guess we're talking about current Realms, since 5E is the edition in question here. Where in the current (5E) Realms do you see that the latest established Thayan operations are no longer so, are indeed like 1E now?

Well there have been, what, 5 adventures set in FR in 5e? And none of them have magic marts. That is compelling.

G

Guest 6801328

I keep thinking back to what a previous poster said about how during 3.5e and 4e D&D was more "competitive". Although I never played those editions, I do get the sense (from forums, from skimming the rules, and from having observed a few games in FLGSs) that there was a different vibe going on.

Although accumulating gold and then picking your magic items seems like anathema to me, I can understand that if you're approaching D&D with different assumptions/objectives it might feel different.

G

Guest 6801328

To extend your analogy: magic shops feel like giving gift certificates, instead of picking out something surprising and wonderful. Sure, it's more practical and efficient, but that's not really what Christmas is about.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
To extend your analogy: magic shops feel like giving gift certificates, instead of picking out something surprising and wonderful. Sure, it's more practical and efficient, but that's not really what Christmas is about.

I vastly prefer gift cards or even straight up cash to receiving someone else's guess at that I might like, since they are usually wrong. :p

But this is not a binary situation - the presence of a magic item shop doesn't mean you suddenly stop finding magic items. It just means you have a way of customizing what magic items you have, since if the shop sells items, it will usually buy or trade them as well.

Remove ads