D&D 5E No News from GAMA?

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
It is a bit sad that you need to go around in every thread posting about your disappointment with the release schedule. Don't you have something better to discuss?

Many people have already pointed out to you the viability of the business plan that WOTC is attempting but for some reason you can't grasp that what you want isn't necessarily best for WOTC and you feel this urge to criticize them at every turn.

This is a forum and I don't remember seeing any rule that stated I must post specific things. If you don't like what I post then don't read it and/or respond. Any of the mods will tell you the same thing.

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
It is a bit sad that you need to go around in every thread posting about your disappointment with the release schedule. Don't you have something better to discuss?

Many people have already pointed out to you the viability of the business plan that WOTC is attempting but for some reason you can't grasp that what you want isn't necessarily best for WOTC and you feel this urge to criticize them at every turn.

Who has pointed out the viability of their business plan? Also, does that suddenly make their successful? All you have to do is look through Wizard's conversations and you will know their plan isn't a good one. Mearls still thinks what killed 4th edition was product bloat. That should tell you he is either clueless or in denial.

pkt77242

Explorer
This is a forum and I don't remember seeing any rule that stated I must post specific things. If you don't like what I post then don't read it and/or respond. Any of the mods will tell you the same thing.

The point isn't that you can't post it, it is why do you feel the need to keep beating a dead horse. Everyone knows how you feel ( you have made it abundantly clear), why keep at it?

deadhorse_lego_zps7d5bc905.jpg

pkt77242

Explorer
Who has pointed out the viability of their business plan? Also, does that suddenly make their successful? All you have to do is look through Wizard's conversations and you will know their plan isn't a good one. Mearls still thinks what killed 4th edition was product bloat. That should tell you he is either clueless or in denial.

Well that tells me the problem right there, you didn't actually read the posts in the other thread. No one knows if their plan will be successful but it is definitely a viable business plan to release a few products a year that sell really well, instead of releasing a lot of products that sell ok. In 9 months they have released the 3 core books to very good/great reviews, a starter adventure to great reviews, an AP that had mixed reviews (the first half was little rough but the RoT had better reviews) and are about to release a second AP that is generating lots of positive buzz.

It sure looks like a viable business strategy from the outside (without numbers it is impossible to tell for sure).

As to what Mearls said, he obviously didn't believe it as he put together an extensive playtest that completely changed the game. Sometimes people say things in public because it is the company line not because it is a personal belief (or maybe he didn't want to offend the 4E players coming over to 5th edition).

There is a lovely feature on these, and most other message boards.

It's called "ignore"

While I encourage many different opinions, and love engaging in lively/spirited/heated debate, some people just refuse to listen, defeating the purpose of having a conversation. It's often better to just ignore and engage other people, whom you can have a true discourse with.
There are some people here I frequently disagree with and argue with, whose opinions I value, and by ignoring others I have more time to find and engage with those people.

So ignore, and go for quality instead of quantity. ;)

<------

The GAMA presentation looks pretty standard.
It's an industry thing, so it's really a way of exciting businesses to either carry more D&D stuff or attract new licence partners. So talking about the launch and its success makes the most sense, along with current products: minis, mini game, spell cards, board game, as well as the RPG. The focus has to be on their current product lines, so people know what's being covered. It's really more of a "what is D&D" seminar than "what D&D will be".

Iosue

Legend
They didn't have a lot to announce at last year's GAMA either.
Basically, it was "Starter Set in summer, PHB to follow", with no set dates. They did show the covers of the PHB, MM, and DMG prior to their official announcement two months later. No pictures were allowed. While Tyranny of Dragons had been previously announced, the actual products of Hoard of the Dragon Queen and Rise of Tiamat were not announced at GAMA either.

Last edited:

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
The GAMA presentation looks pretty standard.
It's an industry thing, so it's really a way of exciting businesses to either carry more D&D stuff or attract new licence partners. So talking about the launch and its success makes the most sense, along with current products: minis, mini game, spell cards, board game, as well as the RPG. The focus has to be on their current product lines, so people know what's being covered. It's really more of a "what is D&D" seminar than "what D&D will be".

Having been to GAMA (not this year, but a years past), I would agree with this assessment. This kind of a seminar is to:
1) show retailers that their good sales are a part of a trend so they feel even better about the sales they have made so far
2) educate retailers about all their current products and business partners (sure they sold the core books, but did they carry the DM's screen or the minis),
3) let them know that major media sources picked up the story, arming game store owners when they go back to talk to their customers ("hey did you see what the Wall Street Journal wrote about D&D?")
4) let them know about near term upcoming products. this way when game store owners can talk up products that will be released in the next few months and get pre-orders.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Having been to GAMA (not this year, but a years past), I would agree with this assessment. This kind of a seminar is to:
1) show retailers that their good sales are a part of a trend so they feel even better about the sales they have made so far
2) educate retailers about all their current products and business partners (sure they sold the core books, but did they carry the DM's screen or the minis),
3) let them know that major media sources picked up the story, arming game store owners when they go back to talk to their customers ("hey did you see what the Wall Street Journal wrote about D&D?")
4) let them know about near term upcoming products. this way when game store owners can talk up products that will be released in the next few months and get pre-orders.

How many FLGS owners or clerks can do there and get that info? Wouldn't it be better for WotC to make a youtube vid or, blast from the past, Blue Rays? They could do this all year long, not just next to black jack tables and strippers (competition for attention).

thalmin

Retired game store owner
How many FLGS owners or clerks can do there and get that info? Wouldn't it be better for WotC to make a youtube vid or, blast from the past, Blue Rays? They could do this all year long, not just next to black jack tables and strippers (competition for attention).
I don't know where to start.
No, not everone can go to get that info. This year I had several conflicts that kept me from going. But the info will be available soon enough. But it would have been better, for me and my store and for WotC, if I and all of the other retailers had gone there. YouTube and video presentations are just monologues, commercials. A trade show presentation is a dialogue between the manufacturer and the retailers. We not only hear them, they hear us. And we get to ask direct questions.
As to the blackjack tables and strippers, they are not even close to being competition for the seminars and exhibit hall. (They might compete with eating and sleeping)

Remove ads