• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E No update to Basic today?

Why would they? Won't they just, y'know, have bought the books, instead of feeling super entitled for free copies from a website of the same stuff?
It's "entitled" to want to be able to use a product you just paid money for?

The new HotDQ supplement is out online, they just haven't updated basic, but they wouldn't need to for HotDQ.
Huh, I hadn't seen that, and I was just at the WotC site. Where was that announced?

Right there on the product page. You do not need any update to Basic to play Horde.
Oh. Handy. Maybe not entirely obvious, a quick new announcement might help, but handy nonetheless.

Really, having a separate document with the monster stats will always be super useful for adventures. I loved that for Red Hand of Doom, and want that for the Starter Set (and said as much in my review). So even after the MM and Basic comes out, that's a super useful Web Enhancement to have.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Oh. Handy. Maybe not entirely obvious, a quick new announcement might help, but handy nonetheless.

Really, having a separate document with the monster stats will always be super useful for adventures. I loved that for Red Hand of Doom, and want that for the Starter Set (and said as much in my review). So even after the MM and Basic comes out, that's a super useful Web Enhancement to have.

They did announce it. There are several other threads here on it as well (though it's hard to tell as most are about things in that document, and don't mention in the thread title it's from Horde).

keterys

First Post
It's "entitled" to want to be able to use a product you just paid money for?

Huh, I hadn't seen that, and I was just at the WotC site. Where was that announced?
My apologies, we're actually referring to different things. The extra stuff for HoDQ was posted above, and is ready and available. As it should be, definitely.

I thought you were referring to getting the Player's Handbook data into the online pdf. And as far as I'm concerned, people who need that this weekend should just go buy a book. Support the hobby, or be patient. Either way, really :)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Visibly on their website or just in a tweet?

What part of "It's right there on the Horde web page" is unclear? It's VERY visible. Where else would you be going, given their front page is just links to other content such as the Horde page? It's also on their Twitter, and their Facebook page, and at all RPG news sites, and on their forums. I mean really, they hit pretty much every forum they have to communicate this, and you seem to be the only one I've seen who was not aware of it.

Which is great for anyone who decides to check the forums and read random threads. Which is very much a minority of people.

Again, you seem to be the only one with this complaint that they didn't know about the supplement - that seems to be the minority here. That news is in pretty much any place you'd go to look for news on that product.

My apologies, we're actually referring to different things. The extra stuff for HoDQ was posted above, and is ready and available. As it should be, definitely.

I thought you were referring to getting the Player's Handbook data into the online pdf. And as far as I'm concerned, people who need that this weekend should just go buy a book. Support the hobby, or be patient. Either way, really :)
Yeah, have my physical book in my hand right now and my FLGS charged me the full $58 CAD cover price. I could literally get it for half price from Amazon.

I would like to get my grubby mits on the expanded Basic rules though. I have a game Monday and was considering doing a 5e trial with my Pathfinder group as a sidequest. But it doesn't look like I'll be able to get the content in time to hobble together an adventure.

What part of "It's right there on the Horde web page" is unclear? It's VERY visible. Where else would you be going, given their front page is just links to other content such as the Horde page? It's also on their Twitter, and their Facebook page, and at all RPG news sites, and on their forums. I mean really, they hit pretty much every forum they have to communicate this, and you seem to be the only one I've seen who was not aware of it.
I was out getting my PHB when it was announced.

The tweet is miles down my feed. I had to search the D&D account to see the actual tweet. Twitter is terribly temporary, and not a good way to handle news.
I only use Facebook for posting pictures of my son for his grandparents and don't look up WotC there.
It's not on the front page of ENWorld, nor a news article on the WotC site.
And I seldom look up the product page for products, especially ones I might have just purchased. I went to the front page, the digital resources page, and the news page and saw nothing.

Had I not come to the forum to see if there was news on the Basic rules update, I likely wouldn't have heard there was a Horde document.

Again, you seem to be the only one with this complaint that they didn't know about the supplement - that seems to be the minority here. That news is in pretty much any place you'd go to look for news on that product.
Except the news page of the WotC site. Or even in the story section for Tyranny of Dragons.

In two weeks the news articles will be buried by new tweets and status updates, and someone getting the book from Amazon or a box store will have no idea where to get the monsters they need.

Of course, the Tyranny of Dragons page would have to acknowledge the existence of the adventures and TTRPG for that to work...

--edit--
And I'm hardly the only while. While writing this, a new thread appeared asking about the monsters.
Of the people posting at ENWorld, today, and talking about the adventure I may have been among the uninformed minority. But among actual players and DMs of the game... Maybe 5% of gamers comes to the forums.

Last edited:

mips42

Adventurer
While I can understand frustration at not getting what was 'promised', I think were possibly being a bit too, I want to say 'entitled', on Basic.
I look at it this way: WOTC was under no imperative to even OFFER basic. They could have easily said 'we're just making the hardbound books, you can buy them or not' and been well within their rights to do so, therefore Basic, in ANY incarnation, is a bonus.
Also, in reading the tweet, it did say that they were 'planning' on a release. In my opinion, that tweet says 'we may be able to release something today if we can get it ready'. I know there were other things that said Basic would be updated the release date of the PHB but, to that, I say 'we get there when we get there' because of the first point.
Between the Starter Set, the HotDG (I keep pronouncing this hotdog) update (FRICKIN' ADULT BLUE DRAGON!) and my own creativity, I've already created one adventure and am working on converting my Homebrew setting.

Remove ads