D&D General Nobody likes an edition warrior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It makes me really angry that some people are out there, playing something I don't like, and having fun with it. What a crock of crap. Really grinds my gears.

I think one reason the edition wars have cooled off is WotC releasing PDFs of all their old stuff. They've simply embraced their past instead of seeing it as harmful competition. The attitude with 4e was that the old stuff was a threat, and now it's more, "Well...if you don't like 5e, we've got a whole bunch more e's for you to choose from!" AD&D 2e is even officially supported on FG now.

Zardnaar

Legend
This is such an accurate representation, someone just accused me of white knighting for paizo elsewhere, meanwhile my 5e collection from before I switched to PF2e is right beside me, along with my 4e books, and I still remember people insisting that I only liked 4e rather than Pathfinder 1e because I was a WOTC fanboy back in like, 2011.

I think you do get a lot of you're wrong I'm right and force the narrative.

Few years back 4E was a big hit according to the forums and a mod enforced bubble.

Then the 5E playtest was announced. A few insisted it was fake news/vapourware/DOA etc.

I can understand having an opinion but what you see with your own eyes....

Edition wars are how people really stop and think about what they REALLY like and why they REALLy like it, as opposed to just going along with inertia. Nobody ever gets stronger without working out. It's the same concept. the conflict is what improves our games. And the edition wars actually only rarely turned into REAL anger and nastiness. I miss them. They were fun. Gave me a lot more reason to hang around reading threads than I have now.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
For years--nay, decades--I thought I enjoyed playing the B/X edition of D&D more than any of the others. Can you imagine? Thankfully, some helpful strangers on the Internet volunteered to show me how wrong I was. I had no idea that personal opinions of preference could even be wrong! Boy is my face red!

But now, after reading several of their lengthy and circular posts, I understand that the B/X edition is bad, always was bad, and it is clearly the wrong way to have fun. (They even shortened this assessment to a helpful portmanteau, "Badwrongfun.")

Thanks for setting me straight, helpful Internet strangers! I wrote it down so as to remember it.

Last edited:

I haven't heard nor thought about "Aggravated Damage" in decades!

There will always be edition warriors, and the same arguments will repeat in different configurations unto eternity. I agree that a big part of the problem is that people will eternally conflate "my favorite" with "objectively the best." And that the arguments are generally seasoned with a healthy dose of nostalgia, too. Sometimes uglier feelings, too, these days. Alas.

If someone says "I like 2e because all the kits and settings provide wonderous variety" instead of "2e is the best edition ever," you can't argue "no, you don't actually like it for that reason and here's why" without sounding like a goon.

Zardnaar

Legend
For years--nay, decades--I thought I enjoyed playing the B/X edition of D&D more than any of the others. Can you imagine? Thankfully, some helpful strangers on the Internet were able to show me how wrong I was. I mean, I had no idea that personal opinions of preference could even be wrong! Boy was my face red!

But now, after reading several of their lengthy and circular posts, I understand that the B/X edition is bad, always was bad, and it is clearly the wrong way to have fun. (They even shortened this assessment to a helpful portmanteau, "Badwrongfun.")

Thanks for setting me straight, helpful Internet strangers! I wrote it down so as to remember it.

B/X seems to dodge a lot of hate. Biggest criticism towards it may be it's to basic but that's kind of the point.

It's better balanced than most editions, plays decently into the higher levels eg 10-14 and is still the easiest D&D to run.

It's not perfect but no edition is. Thieves in it kinda suck but that's an easy fix along with THAC0 etc.

Zardnaar

Legend
I haven't heard nor thought about "Aggravated Damage" in decades!

There will always be edition warriors, and the same arguments will repeat in different configurations unto eternity. I agree that a big part of the problem is that people will eternally conflate "my favorite" with "objectively the best." And that the arguments are generally seasoned with a healthy dose of nostalgia, too. Sometimes uglier feelings, too, these days. Alas.

If someone says "I like 2e because all the kits and settings provide wonderous variety" instead of "2e is the best edition ever," you can't argue "no, you don't actually like it for that reason and here's why" without sounding like a goon.

I like 2E because of its tool box nature, settings, and priests.

Better balanced than most editions as well/easy to run.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Sadly, that doesn't really stop anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads