D&D General Nobody likes an edition warrior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There really is so much you can do with it, and it's an edition that I could likely pick up and start running with little review, even all these years later, it's that emblazoned in the folds of my brain.

I like 2E because of its tool box nature, settings, and priests.

Alas, no, it does not. As Thorin said "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above edition war arguments, it would be a merrier world. But sad or merry, I must leave it now."

Sadly, that doesn't really stop anyone.

Heh, yeah, sometimes decision paralysis is rough. I miss the days of just being able to run/play half a dozen campaigns at once.

Well, it helps to believe that your favourite is objectively the best.

I'm currently sat planning a new campaign, and I'm looking at this pile of editions, hacks, house rules, and even a bunch of percentile systems; and I am crippled with paralysis as to what the hell we're going to play. If I was a paladin of the One True Edition, I'd never face this problem.

Hussar

Legend
I'll accept bashing if it just meant overt lies were removed from the conversation. A decade on and square fireballs and shouting wounds closed are still a thing.
Honestly, I think this was the bigger issue in edition warring. No one really cares if you proclaim that you love game X. What flies up people's nose is that someone claims that Game X fixes issue Y from Game Z. People then proceed to lose their minds claiming that Y never existed in their game, thus, it was never a problem and Game X is simply making change for change's sake. Add in a shopping list of completely fabricated, often misunderstood points about the other game, and you get edition wars.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I'm currently sat planning a new campaign, and I'm looking at this pile of editions, hacks, house rules, and even a bunch of percentile systems; and I am crippled with paralysis as to what the hell we're going to play. If I was a paladin of the One True Edition, I'd never face this problem.
Well, if all else fails there's always this little program

Step 1 - take all your various editions, hacks, house rules, and other systems, lay them out on the floor, and assign a number to each one.
Step 2 - count up how many discrete things you have just placed on said floor (let's call this number 'xx' here).
Step 3 - roll a dxx, pick up whatever's on the floor matching that number, and put it aside as part of your next campaign rules.
Step 4 - check the rules you've accumulated so far to see if it's all complete enough to play. If yes, end process. If no, continue.
Step 5 - go to Step 3, rerolling any duplicated results.

Aldarc

Legend
Honestly, I think this was the bigger issue in edition warring. No one really cares if you proclaim that you love game X. What flies up people's nose is that someone claims that Game X fixes issue Y from Game Z. People then proceed to lose their minds claiming that Y never existed in their game, thus, it was never a problem and Game X is simply making change for change's sake. Add in a shopping list of completely fabricated, often misunderstood points about the other game, and you get edition wars.
Yeah, I had a conversation with a friend (and fellow GM) in my old D&D group in the US. When he started talking about the things that he disliked about 4e, it raised some red flags, especially the talking points he used, because it was clear when pressed about it that (a) he was blatantly wrong about a number of core rules and mechanics of the game, (b) he had never played the game before, and (c) he was mostly going off internet hearsay. And he definitely was not the only person in meat life where I had such interactions.

Zardnaar

Legend
Yeah, I had a conversation with a friend (and fellow GM) in my old D&D group in the US. When he started talking about the things that he disliked about 4e, it raised some red flags, especially the talking points he used, because it was clear when pressed about it that (a) he was blatantly wrong about a number of core rules and mechanics of the game, (b) he had never played the game before, and (c) he was mostly going off internet hearsay. And he definitely was not the only person in meat life where I had such interactions.

Doesn't really matter perception is reality.

If people don't want to play or buy your product.......

Bagpuss

Legend
In all seriousness, there did use to be a fair amount of edition warring, and the even more exciting edition civil-warring, on this site.

Mods are more vigilant, but I think people also tired of it.

And 5E really is the most successful, so I don't think there is any point arguing about it.

Appeal to Popularity -1pt.

Successful =/= best.

Ohh can we have a VHS/Betamax war? So I can remember my youth?

ccs

41st lv DM
Appeal to Popularity -1pt.

Ohh can we have a VHS/Betamax war? So I can remember my youth?

We could but there'd be little point as the statement is true whatever the year/dueling product.

Also won't change the fact that my small towns only video store was 99% VHS. I could watch maybe a hundred Beta titles. Or hundreds on VHS.
Good thing Dad bought a VHS for whatever reason. :)

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Yea, the general thing that got me during the Edition Wars was when people didn't understand something, not that they disagreed with my preferences. Like, if you assert you don't like Fortune in the Middle mechanics in 4e powers because they break your immersion, that's totally cool. I don't agree, but totally valid preference.

But if you don't know what a FitM mechanic is, or can't understand how it works even when explained via example, and it's an inability to grasp something that causes the dislike, then I get a little annoyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads