D&D 5E Non choices: must have and wants why someone that hates something must take it

Rygar

Explorer
Ok, noted.

If they give me the options I want out of it, then yes I'll play it. I may buy it used so that WotC doesn't get any of my money, but I will definitely play it.

I will admit that what we have seen so far is far enough away from a game that I want to play that if the finished product looks 85% like it, that I won't play it. However we can still change that with feedback.

It doesn't matter if there is almost no chance of me getting any changes in at this stage of the game. I'm going to keep trying right up until this thing goes to the printers. Then I'm going to wash my hands of it. And explain to the people that ask me "Why didn't you give feedback and ask for changes to be made and speak up." that I did right up until it released. So there will be no excuses when many 4E players don't migrate and instead choose something else like 13th age or just stick with 4E.

IIRC, didn't you say a couple of weeks ago that you buy all of your WOTC books used so they don't receive any money from you? If so, then you've really sacrificed any right to expect WOTC to listen to you. If you go out of your way to make sure WOTC doesn't make any revenue from you, why should WOTC listen to you?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
If they give me the options I want out of it, then yes I'll play it. I may buy it used so that WotC doesn't get any of my money, but I will definitely play it....And explain to the people that ask me "Why didn't you give feedback and ask for changes to be made and speak up." that I did right up until it released. So there will be no excuses when many 4E players don't migrate and instead choose something else like 13th age or just stick with 4E.

The excuse will be, "we don't listen to people who, even if they like our products and play our products and appreciate changes we made to our products to accommodate their preferences, still refuse to buy those products from us and instead buy them used just to spite us."

And it will be a damn good excuse. Why the heck should they listen to a word a guy like that says?

IIRC, didn't you say a couple of weeks ago that you buy all of your WOTC books used so they don't receive any money from you? If so, then you've really sacrificed any right to expect WOTC to listen to you. If you go out of your way to make sure WOTC doesn't make any revenue from you, why should WOTC listen to you?

Yeah what he said.

Lokiare

Banned
Banned

Uh no.

After all the stuff WotC pulled. They have to earn back my trust to earn my dollar. If I like how they treat their customers and I like how 5E works. I might buy some copies new so they get the money off of it.

Seriously we can start a thread on all the stuff that went on starting at the end of 3.5E and go over every little detail if you want, but no company should be allowed to treat their customers like that. I feel fully justified in my actions.

Lokiare

Banned
Banned
The excuse will be, "we don't listen to people who, even if they like our products and play our products and appreciate changes we made to our products to accommodate their preferences, still refuse to buy those products from us and instead buy them used just to spite us."

And it will be a damn good excuse. Why the heck should they listen to a word a guy like that says?

Yeah what he said.

That's not my problem.

And actually they do listen to people that don't buy their products. Why do you think we are getting a retroclone anyway? All the Pathfinder and 3.5E fans that left and said we aren't buying your products. They seem to be listening to them, even though they aren't current customers.

So I stand by my case. Now if you would be so kind: Back to the subject of the thread.

If you have to trade out your character concept for effectiveness, then that's a direct 'non-choice' that many players feel they must make.

5E should have no choices that require you to take a lesser option in order to make your concept a reality.

Wulfgar76

First Post
After all the stuff WotC pulled. They have to earn back my trust to earn my dollar.
but no company should be allowed to treat their customers like that. I feel fully justified in my actions.

Did they send jackbooted thugs to your house, twisted your arm, and force you to buy their products?

I mean, I spent a LOT of money on 3e and 4e books, two editions I don't care for at all, and I really dont feel that violated.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
There are many things the Fighter class requires that is not dex based
No there are not many required in fact.

High hit points if you plan on being a front liner along with the defy death feature and survivor mean you have to pump Constitution.
All of which isn't different from a Fighter pumping STR instead. CON is a supporting stats for other abilities indenpendantly from your primary stat.

Devastating Critical at 15th requires you to have a high Strength score to set the DC at a reasonable level (otherwise its 10).
All but 1 feature of 1 build among many benefit from a high STR, and it isn't required specifically.

Not only that, but I said Light, not Finesse.
No problem, just use a Light & Finesse weapon but i hardly believe you referred to the 4E property (Light thrown) but if you insist...

Bottom line is, you still can do it in D&D Next contrary to what you said. :)

Last edited:

Lokiare

Banned
Banned
I must have said this 10x already: if you despise WotC, swear never to buy their products, and relish the failure of 5e – then why are you loudly proclaiming what you want to see in the game?

Is that a personal attack I hear? Maybe a mischaracterization? Is it perhaps you dictating my opinion? I could have swore there were warnings going around for that somewhere.

I despise what WotC did and how they in the past have run their business. They don't appear to be changing (what with the perma bans they handed out on their forums to people that had legitimate concerns about being included in 5E, and all the stuff that lead up to that point). If they were to actually change I would have no problem handing them money for a quality product that I would enjoy playing.

I never swore not to ever buy their products. I said I won't buy 5E based on their current behavior and their past behavior. I have to see a change or they don't get my money.

I also don't relish the failure of 5E. If 5E fails, its likely D&D as a TTRPG will be shelved for 10 years and I don't think anyone wants that.

As I've repeated over and over I'm proclaiming loudly what I want out of the game so that later when its not in the game no one can say "why didn't you speak up?" or "Well those people should have spoke up, we had a public play test after all." and things like that. I want it to be abundantly clear that I tried everything in my power to get the game I like.

Lokiare

Banned
Banned
No there are not many required in fact.

All of which isn't different from a Fighter pumping STR instead. CON is a supporting stats for other abilities indenpendantly from your primary stat.

All but 1 feature of 1 build among many benefit from a high STR, and it isn't required specifically.

No problem, just use a Light & Finesse weapon but hardly believe you referred to the 4E property (Light thrown) but if you insist...

Bottom line is, you still can do it in D&D Next contrary to what you said. :)

You need to go back and read my posts again.

The fighter needs Str and Con and can't max Dex if they want to be effective later on.

Also we aren't talking 4E. In 5E a light weapon is a specific class of weapon, and not all light weapons are finesse weapons.

Even if you can somehow manage to make a light weapon, light armor fighter, there are many other builds you cannot make. I might start a thread on that. "Character Concepts you cannot make in 5E"

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
You need to go back and read my posts again.

Also we aren't talking 4E. In 5E a light weapon is a specific class of weapon, and not all light weapons are finesse weapons.
No you specifically compared it to 4E when saying you couldn't easily play a light weapon light armor fighter.

For example in 4E you can easily play a light weapon light armor fighter with no problem. Various mechanical choices allow you to effectively do that so you can have a swashbuckler fighter in 4E with little or no problem.You cannot do this in 5E.

(bolded emphase mine)

The fighter needs Str and Con and can't max Dex if they want to be effective later on. Even if you can somehow manage to make a light weapon, light armor fighter, there are many other builds you cannot make.
Again the fighter doesn't need STR/CON, it can work easily DEX/CON and only 1 feature of 1 build will not be optimal, which is not many builds as you claim.

Remove ads