• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Non-Core Class Survivor Spin-off: Pro-psionics or anti-psionics

How do you feel about psionics?

• I'm pro-psionics!

Votes: 90 50.3%
  • I'm anti-psionics!

Votes: 66 36.9%
  • Keep me out of this one!

Votes: 23 12.8%

Glyfair said:
I will say that, as much as AD&D psionics deserves the bad rap it's gotten, it was balanced as written. However, it was "AD&D balanced." Sort of like the fact that the cool special abilities of non-humans were "balanced" by limiting them to certain levels (it's OK to be more powerful at 1st level, because you are useless when humans are at 18th level).

Supposedly the DM was supposed to check for random psionic encounters randomly, when psionics were used. The table for wandering monsters included things like Demon Princes. So, it was balanced being psionic because using your powers had a reasonable shot of causing a random encounter of something a low level PC would have no chance against (and Demon Princes are just the top of the food chain on that list).

No, that is really silly. What if the psi-player isn't using overpowered stuff?

(Mind you, it was hard to avoid breaking the system. Several psionic combat attack modes were pretty busted against non-psychics.)

rounser

First Post
They can't be much less coherent than the following, from Greyhawk, p.61:
Your argument would hold up if the "scope" of such things didn't matter. A single dungeon room, character name or cartoon in the DMG can be an in-joke with only a tiny "blast radius" effect on the tone of the game.

Laser rifles in the equipment list, robots in the race chapter and psionic classes in the class chapter is a different matter, because these are changes to the nature of PCs that follow your game around if taken.

Last edited:

was

Adventurer
Glyfair said:
The most recent thread, yes. Through the 14 of them? No, it was the anti-psionics crowd first. That caused the pro-psionics crowd to push banding together to counter this movement (if indeed, it was a movement).

Oh..sorry about that. I thought you were referring only to the last thread.

BlueBlackRed

Explorer
Perhaps for the next poll such as this you vote to keep rather than remove.

Hopefully it will help reduce the anti-(insert hate here) groups.

I have a deep hat of Eberron and psionics, but that doesn't mean I want to ruin the fun for others.

Thanee

First Post
The end result seems pretty accurate, though. It mimics the most-liked non-core classes from other polls (Scout and Warlock).

Bye
Thanee

Abraxas

Explorer
OK, just because I remembered it differently - and I finally had the time - I went through all the poll threads from the beginning.

The pro-psi camp started it.

It was suggested in poll rounds 6 and 7 and stated blatantly in round 10
Arkhandus said:
Friends! Countrymen! *crickets* Undecided voters! Save the psionic classes from the crushing iron fist of psi-haters! Cast your votes for the downfall of anything else! The psi-haters are catching up to their ultimate goal! Man the walls and reinforce the gates! Cast down the bard-hatin' beguiler! Throw out the lich-wannabe! Stone the ranger-and-rogue-and-monk-murderin' scout!

Prior to this there were single posters saying they disliked psi classes and would continue to vote against them but there was no call to gang up on them. The pro-psi group just accused the anti-psi group in general of soon getting together and voting off the psi classes.

Last edited:

Glyfair

Explorer
Abraxas said:
The pro-psi camp started it.
I'll have to disagree here. This is just a rah, rah behind the psionics classes. It called for voting for "anything else," not to pick a class and gang up on it.

The posts I'm referring to from the anti-psionics crowd very specifically said to stop splitting their votes and pick one of the classes and gang up on it so it would be voted of. It even suggested the psion since it was highest on the list.

Abraxas

Explorer
The post I listed was followed 8 posts later by

BryonD said:
Agreed!!!

I still think the Binder needs to go. But at this point I'll throw in my support to any pro-psion group.

I nominate Psion, for obvious reasons, to lead the defence.
Name a class and the pro-psion group will vote for that in an effort to hold off the haters.
I was unable to find a reference of stop splitting the vote by the anti-psis before these posts in poll 10. It sure looks to me that the pro-psi group started the gang up tactic.

After these posts the pro-psi group specifically suggest taking out the Knight.

Last edited:

BryonD

Hero
Abraxas said:
The post I listed was followed 8 posts later by

There was no suggestion of ganging up by the anti-psi group before these posts in poll 10. It sure looks to me that the pro-psi group started the gang up tactic.
Yep, that was me.
And I distinctly recall enjoying the thought of turning the anti-psi tactic against them when I wrote it. As a matter of fact, enjoying the irony is the entire reason I choose to place the post.

Are we really down to this level? I mean, as far as I am concerned it is just funny.

Remove ads