• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Non-stereotypical versions of PHB races

AbeTheGnome

First Post
I'm looking for race concepts to pilfer for a homebrew. I want to violate most, if not all, stereotypes/tropes of the traditional (PHB) races. The name of the race does not have to match what I'll eventually put it with. To give an example, I took the flavor text for minotaurs in the Dragonlance CS and used it for High Elves. Now, I'm looking for chaotic, bloodthirsty dwarves who don't live underground, demon-worshipping elves who aren't drow, shamanistic, animistic orcs who aren't necessarily evil, and kobolds that are like miniature dragons, and aren't totally nerfed. Suggestions?

Last edited:

AbeTheGnome

First Post
Aus_Snow said:
Presumably, there's a reason you don't want to just make them yourself. . . so, what would that be?
Laziness, mostly. :) Honestly, I do end up rewriting the entries I steal quite a bit, but it's hard to fluff out racial descriptions to fill a page or two. I'm not always the best at deciding what should go in "Relations" as opposed to "Personality," etc. Mainly, I'm looking for inspiration and a guide as to how to organize the entries.

Set

First Post
Now, I'm looking for chaotic, bloodthirsty dwarves who don't live underground,

If you've got access to the old Complete Dwarves Handbook (2e) and / or the 3.0 Dieties & Demigods, combine some of the flavor text for the Battlerager kit with the stuff on the Norse pantheon. The Dwarves of this world are vikings, who come in from the sea and raid coastal communities during the summer, and then hole up in their festhalls and drink mead all winter. Barbarian is their preferred class, and raging during battle is their joy. PrCs like Berserker, Frenzied Berserker and Bear-Warrior are their favorites, and their 'gutshaker' brew could use rules similar to the jhuild firewine stuff used by the Rashemi berserkers of the Forgotten Realms setting. A savage and proud people, they also have agriculture and crafting techniques (they certainly wouldn't trust other races to brew their mead or forge their blades or craft their longships!), but the measure of a man (or womans) worth is what they can *take* on the field of battle, and determines their esteem among their peers.

To complete the viking motif, they could even be known for taking slaves, who work their fields back in thier northern lands.

demon-worshipping elves who aren't drow,

A race that is *almost* immortal and otherworldly, said to have been descended from fey, may well be looking for 'the way back' to the immortality, innate magical prowess and otherworldly / extraplanar nature they have lost. The realms of faerie are closed to them, and so they entreat with fiends, with their casters and warriors ending up in some transitive PrC that allows them to become native Outsiders at the highest levels (like Fiend-Blooded or Acolyte of the Skin or Monk or Favored Soul).

Hungry for the power that they feel in their blood, and which they feel they have had stolen from them by the fey races that abandoned them to the material plane, they bargain with demons to re-empower their blood and reject the weak failings of flesh. Why demons? Easier to trick and steal power from. Devils are too tricky...

shamanistic, animistic orcs who aren't necessarily evil, and kobolds that are like miniature dragons, and aren't totally nerfed.

No specific ideas on the Orcs, although Eberron has some interesting notions of Druidic orders among the orcs.

As for the Kobolds, the WotC site has some advice for how to beef them up, suggesting that they are under-CRed, and weak for for LA+0. You could use their advice, or change the attribute modifiers to -2 Str and +2 Con, or even just give them the Draconic creature template for 'free!' (Which would make Kobolds pretty beefy, with -2 Str, +2 Dex and +2 Cha, as well as +2 Natural Armor! Not quite LA+1, but definitely better than most LA+0 races...) [Note that by 3.0 design philosophy, Strength is 'worth more' as an attribute, and a Half Orc, for instance, has to lose 4 attribute points to gain 2 points of Strength. It would logically follow that the Kobold, losing 2 points of Strength, would therefore not be unbalanced to have 4 points in other attributes... While this follows the established Half-Orc precedent of Strength being 'more equal,' you're DM might find it specious, much as many find the Half-Orc precedent itself specious.]

Or each Kobold tribe could have a specific color, and as they increase in levels, gain a certain degree of resistance to the appropriate energy type, and perhaps even extra elemental damage to their bite attack (and, at highest levels, a breath weapon, a few times a day?). Perhaps Kobold Substitution levels could allow a Kobold Sorcerer to lose a spell slot here and there to gain Dragontouched feats, awakening his Draconic heritage.

Finally, it seems that the 1/2 Dragon rules kinda favor male dragons, who can sire dozens of these critters in a year, and then use Intimidate / Diplomacy / magic to 'hire' their children as powerful cohorts and minions. Females have no such luck, since they would have to get knocked up by anything they want to have as servants, which sounds demeaning.

Imagine a variant world where female dragons lay eggs all year round. If these eggs are fertilized, wyrmling dragons hatch out of them. If they are not, Kobolds hatch out of them, entire litters of Kobolds from a single egg! Each is the color of it's mother, and has the appropriate Dragonwrought feat for 'free.' These Kobolds are not fertile with each other, or any other Kobolds from the same mother, although they *can* be traded around like Pokemon with other female dragons, to help acquire a breeding population, or servants of different colors (sadly, their 2nd generation Kobold spawn will not be Dragonwrought, save in rare cases, having to buy the feat normally).

Last edited:

AbeTheGnome

First Post
Set, I like all these ideas.

First, are the dwarves from the 2e Complete Dwarves Handbook that much different from standard 3e dwarves? That Viking/early Germanic flavor is exactly what I want.

Second, that's also pretty much the flavor I want for Dark Elves (I'm looking at Warhammer right now).

Third, I love Ebberon's orcs, but I haven't found any detailed info on them. Granted, I don't own Ebberon CS or Races of Ebberon, but looking at the table of contents for both books, they don't get their own entries.

Fourth, fantastic ideas for kobolds!

Nyaricus

First Post
Here's an idea I've stolen off the boards from someone or another:

Orcs are the rulers of a huge desert empire far to the south. The catch? They are demon-binding Necromancers of the viliest sort, who raise entire armies from the dead to fight in terrifying wars, with fiendish captains ruling over these disease-ridding, rotten, smelly-as-the-hells corpses.

Hope that helps!

cheers,
--N

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
What about Ratmen and Snakemen? Howse that for your "pilferable" races?

*suggests Slitheren for Ratmen, either Assatthi and/or Invidians from Tome of Horror series*

Remove ads