Notes on the Aether (Rae judging)

Trouvere

Explorer
"I liked Samina. Did you all like Samina? I miss her. Dear Sammy," says Keldar. He starts poking around the piles of junk, wondering what the wizard might have been constructing. "Horrid swarf."

OOC: Swarf. Search +6 [sblock=covaithe]Of course! That makes my day (sad but true). So long as you're not worried your players will lynch you....[/sblock]Edit: Just noticed that Notes on the Aether is 3 months old today!

Last edited:

Trouvere

Explorer
"Cassie said one device would be in the furnace. I could give it the once over for traps, but I don't think I can do anything about the bag and candles while it's hot, so there's no point unless we can cool it down. Tarag? Will lots of water do it? I left the bucket downstairs when you all... wandered off."

OOC: if there's a door on the furnace, can we just close it or leave it closed to keep a new fire elemental locked inside?

Trouvere

Explorer
OOC: or if the furnace has no door, presumably Tarag could easily enough attach a makeshift one, using the tools and some of the junk that's lying about.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
The furnace has a thick exhaust pipe on its right side that goes out and then straight up into the ceiling. The pipe has a grate on it, and a thin wisp of smoke trails out of it (completely disproportionate to the blaze in the main furnace). The furnace itself does indeed have a door on it, which is currently open. Inside is a shelf made from the same black stone as the tall heat shields.

Keldar digs through the stuff. It's mostly an assortment of metal arms, legs, heads, and torsos, or some (oftentimes strange) combination of all those things. It looks as though Thyrin was experimenting with golem constructs and giving them different types of appendages. Some have claws, some have crude, hand-like-things, some have awl-shaped points. Keldar, being of a curious nature, fiddles with the arms and discovers that he can clumsily manipulate the fingers by pulling on levers at the base. A few of the constructions have many eye-like objects, some on extendable stalks. All are gnome sized, and the ugliest ones are cast aside in piles. Beneath one such pile, Keldar finds a stone dais, much like the one downstairs. A rock is growing slowly on the dais, it's molding its shape around the various obstructions piled on top of it.

Tarag examines the furnace closely, and discovers a little door in the back leg. It's way too hot to touch with bare hands, though.

[sblock=Tommy: ]As Tarag pokes around the forge, you take a glance into the furnace. Inside is a large ball of fire, about 5' in diameter, hovering behind the black stone shelf. Tommy is reasonably sure that this is a flaming sphere, though he's never heard of such a thing being made permanent like this. He imagines that the furnace is similar to the other devices in this tower. Some brimstone and dried tallow are in the furnace somewhere, and the easiest way to disable the furnace would be to remove those components.[/sblock]

[sblock=Tarag's Detect Magic: ]Tarag's sight suddenly becomes filled with blue. He quickly sorts out the visual stimuli and determines the strongest magical effects nearby. A faint evocation radiates from the furnace, focused on the back left leg but emanating up into the furnace and forming a ball. A faint abjuration emanates from upstairs, but encompasses the entire tower. A faint conjuration also emanates from three places: inside the furnace, the furnace exhaust grate, and the dais just excavated by Keldar.[/SBLOCK]

Trouvere

Explorer
"Thyrin's building an army of metal gnomes," announces Keldar. "There's no way that can end well." He holds up a mechanical arm. "Do you think he'd miss this if I, er, borrowed it? Look, if you pull on these levers, you can make the fingers move. With a bit of practice, I could use it to reach into places I wouldn't want to put my own hand. Like... like... like somewhere hot, Tarag - like a furnace! Well, we can give that a try, can't we? Ah hah! There's another stone dais here, underneath the junk, with a little rocky friend growing on it," says Keldar. "Careful, it may be trapped. If you all stand back, I shall take a look."

covaithe

Explorer
"That fire in the furnace looks a lot like the Flaming Sphere spell, made permanent in some way that I would love to study, given time. But I don't think your bucket would do much to put it out, Keldar. Oh, and Keldar? Can you please give the rest of us some warning before you disarm any more traps?" Tommy says, peering intently into the furnace.

Trouvere

Explorer
"I thought I just did," Keldar replies. "However, the invincible Keldar wishes to inform all in close proximity that he shall presently apply his considerable expertise to the deactivation of the aforementioned Dais of Elemental Summoning."

covaithe

Explorer
"Sorry, I thought you were just going to start looking to see if there were any traps. Does that process usually involve explosions too, invicible one?" Tommy looks around for cover, using the stairs if no other cover can be found.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases