Notes on the Aether (Rae judging)

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Keldar tries to discern the inner workings of the furnace leg, but the metal is incredibly hot, and he can't get his fingers in there. As far as he can tell, there is no trap here, just the latch system holding the iron cylinders in place. If he were a being of stone, unaffected by fire, or if he were made of fire himself, he imagines it would be quite easy to pop the iron cylinders out. As it is, there's no way he can maintain pressure on the latches long enough to release them.

As for Keldar's impromptu hijacking of the stone dais, water doesn't seem to be slowly growing out of the stone disc. (Is Keldar just placing the bag in the device, or is he using UMD [DC:25 Activate Blindly]?)

Trouvere

Explorer
"This is piping hot," says Keldar, blowing on his fingers. "Perhaps if I use the metal arm with the levers...."

OOC: aww, spoilsport. I don't know precisely what Keldar would do IC to make a UMD check on the dais, but 1d20+5=21. So I guess he comes really close to working it out, but ends up just putting the bag in place.

Trouvere

Explorer
"You might have a point, Galwynn," says Keldar, perhaps surprisingly. "I'm not very happy about pulling out these tube things in the furnace leg, not if they're feeding the fireball. They're not even part of the summoning apparatus, and I'm sure the furnace will take a long time to cool down, even if I can put out the fire. Would anyone be upset if I just closed the door? If the next elemental manages to get out, we'll deal with it, like we've dealt with the others. But if you all think I should work on it some more...?"

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
The door of the furnace has a grate on it, similar to the grate in the exhaust pipe by the stairs. Both grates are variable vents, with open and closed positions. The closed position looks to be airtight, but you can't be sure without some kind of test. The mechanism for opening/closing the grate is metal (and thus hot), but a glove or a shirt around your hand would be sufficient for handling the lever.

The door is heavy duty, and has a twisting latch that presses the door against the furnace when it's closed, making for a pretty tight seal around. It is currently wide open, and its grate is also open.

The vent by the stairs is currently open, though only a thin wisp of smoke trails from it.

OOC: I don't mean to ruin Keldar's fun, but did you really think it would be that easy? :p

covaithe

Explorer
"This forge is a wonderful magical invention, which must have been both difficult and expensive to set up. I would hate to damage it in any way if we can avoid it, so, yes, I agree that we should try just closing the door and the vent and waiting to see if the next elemental is trapped. Uh, speaking of traps, remember that the vent has a faint conjuration aura to it. Tarag and I think it's probably a magical trap, perhaps acid-based."

Trouvere

Explorer
"All right," says Keldar. Once again he runs downstairs, this time heading outside. "Greetings, Cassandra. We're all fine. Third floor next." He picks up the expensive cleric robes left by the door, and runs all the way back.

"How are we doing for time, do you think?" Keldar takes another quick look at the door and exhaust grate. "Hmm..." If he finds nothing suspicious, he wraps the robes around his hand, and tries to close everything up.

OOC: two rounds of Search +6, let's say, on the door and the grate.
OOC: Sploshy! Noooooo!

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Keldar doesn't feel any heat at all through the robes, and he easily closes the door and both grates tightly. Before he closed the door grate, some smoke came out, but afterwards neither smoke nor orange, fiery light escapes the furnace. The pipe vent is also apparently airtight, and the thin wisp of smoke instantly stops and trails off once the grate is closed.

Keldar's cleric robes are not burnt, but they are stained some from the black metal.

Trouvere

Explorer
"Five crowns these cost me!" grouses Keldar. He balls them up and throws them down the stairs. "Now, how is my water elemental coming along?" He bends down to look at the stone dais. "Ah. Still, er, very small. Oh, look, he's waving," says Keldar, keeping his back between the dais and onlookers. "I don't think it's very polite to summon these creatures, to be honest," he says. He plucks the watery bag and candles from the device. "Swim free, Sploshy! Swim free.... Another deed well done. Why are you all looking at me like that?"

Remove ads