• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

November's SAGE ADVICE Is Here!

November's Sage Advice column by WotC's Jeremy Crawford is up. This month deals with lightfoot halfing and wood elf hiding racial traits, some class features, backgrounds (you can have only one!), muticlassing, surprise rounds in combat, and more. Check out this month's Sage Advice here. The advice here has been added to the Sage Advice Compendium.

November's Sage Advice column by WotC's Jeremy Crawford is up. This month deals with lightfoot halfing and wood elf hiding racial traits, some class features, backgrounds (you can have only one!), muticlassing, surprise rounds in combat, and more. Check out this month's Sage Advice here. The advice here has been added to the Sage Advice Compendium.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
The term "weapon attack" differentiates an non-spell attack from a "spell attack." But yeah, making a weapon attack with something that is explicitly not a weapon (such as an unarmed strike) can create some confusion. I'm sort of surprised that made it through the supposedly exhaustive play testing that 5e underwent.

I think the problem is that few languages have a word for "not a spell".
You could use "equipment" or "item" but fists and feet aren't equipment nor items.
Maybe "martial" but then what about simple weapons.
And "Melee nonmagical attack" sounds dumb.

Orlax

First Post
Whelp I'm ignoring that unarmed ruling. My hand is a weapon, the dude bleeding on the floor would like to have some words with whoever says it isn't. Seriously though, a rogue can sucker punch someone, that's like the base definition of a sneak attack.

BoldItalic

First Post
Sneak attack is associated with Dexterity. Ranged weapons and Finesse weapons allow Dex-based attacks, so they qualify. Spells and other weapons don't qualify because they use abilities other than Dex. Unarmed Strike is Str-based, so it doesn't qualify either, regardless of whether you consider it a weapon or not.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I wish they'd been a little more chatty on the shield-as-a-weapon ruling.

The decision to allow the AC bonus to stay if you make a shield attack isn't the call I'd make, but that's fine. There are spillover effects, though:

e.g. how does it interact with the Dual Wielder feat? Is an improvised weapon (shield) a melee weapon? PHB 147-48 isn't clear either way, I think, but potentially, the feat would allow a shield to grant a +3 and still let you make a 1d4 (or more?) attack with the off hand. (I am presuming that a shield isn't "light").

I'm sure there are other loopholes.

Sir Brennen

Legend
Melee+Weapon: longsword, dagger, bite, claw, unarmed strike. Uses Strength unless a rule (finesse, monk) says otherwise.
Ranged+Weapon: longbow, crossbow, thrown dagger, blight needles, tail spines. Uses Dexterity unless a rule (thrown property) says otherwise.
Spell+Weapon: Flameblade, shocking grasp, intoxicating touch, life drain. Ability score varies based on Caster/Monster (but typically Int/Wis/Cha)
Spell+Ranged: scorching ray, ray of frost, demon/devil hurl fire, empyrian bolt. Ability score varies based on Caster/Monster.
I believe you meant "Spell+Melee" for item 3, but otherwise, nice explanation.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I went back and checks the UA Mystic class.

Mystic class features use "discipline attack" but the only discipline with an attack roll doesn't say "make a ranged discipline attack". But it's UA.

So it looks the future is:

• Melee Attack
    • Melee Discipline Attack
    • Melee Spell Attack
    • Melee Weapon Attack
      • Melee Weapon Attack with a weapon
      • Melee Weapon Attack with an improvised weapon
      • Melee Weapon Attack with an unarmed strike
  • Ranged Attack
    • Ranged Discipline Attack
    • Ranged Spell Attack
    • Ranged Weapon Attack
      • Ranged Weapon Attack with a weapon
      • Ranged Weapon Attack with an improvised weapon

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Sneak attack is associated with Dexterity. Ranged weapons and Finesse weapons allow Dex-based attacks, so they qualify. Spells and other weapons don't qualify because they use abilities other than Dex. Unarmed Strike is Str-based, so it doesn't qualify either, regardless of whether you consider it a weapon or not.
Yea, except you can sneak attack using Strength if you want. You just have to use a Finesse weapon. A Finesse weapon allows Dexterity to be used for melee attacks but does not require it.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads