Now "Anyone" can be a Dungeon Master!

ajanders said:
I can't concieve of WOTC letting someone write that, then sell it that cheaply under someone else's label.

Well, both Bill Slavicsek and Rich Baker work for WotC(though I don't know if they're freelance or not now).

Also...its the same thing they did with the D&D for Dummies book that came out earlier this year.

Breakdaddy

First Post
Don't we already have the DMG II for solid DMing advice for noobs or relative noobs? How much more in depth will this be? Or is this for the sub-noob DM that hasnt even looked at his copy of the DMG yet?

To put a bit of a kybosh on all the "WotC did it, no they didn't" dreck. The way Dummies Publishing works is they find a "subject matter expert" on the subject (or two or three or four) and have them write a book. Who better than frelance or former WotC staffers? I'm suprised they didn't go after Monte, Sean or Bruce. As for the "permission" aspect, well DUH, of course they got permission! Just like they did for Windows for Dummies (R), MAC for Dummies (R), etc. These guys didn't make a metric butt-load of money by breaking copyright laws.
And as AMG stated in the previous post, they did the same thing with D&D for Dummies (R) a few months ago, literally a beginners guide, honestly, its a really good idea and I wish I had thought of it, I of course would be making the metric butt-load of money now instead if them which would make me much happier...

Psion

Adventurer
ajanders said:
s. This, I submit, is no different than a Scrabble Dictionary.

I suspect, given the fact that the scrabble dictionary uses the scrabble trade dress, it too is officially sactioned.

We aren't talking the same things as (frex) unofficial guides to disney world or the like.

Then it would be two hardcover books -- maybe three -- and over 100$. I can't concieve of WOTC letting someone write that, then sell it that cheaply under someone else's label.

Then I suspect that you really oversimplify the economics that probably drive the situation.

There are a number of reasons they would do this.
- WotC may not be putting up the printing costs for the print run.
- If it resembles any of the dummies books I own, the production values are significantly lower than an average WotC book.
- The move is seen as creating a new audience for the game, and this is seen as worthy of more of an investment risk.

Turjan

Explorer
ajanders said:
Then it would be two hardcover books -- maybe three -- and over 100$. I can't concieve of WOTC letting someone write that, then sell it that cheaply under someone else's label.
You obviously missed the fact that the predecessor, D&D for Dummies, was actively promoted on the official WotC website and can be found in their product catalog. And don't forget the April website :D.

{Additional emphasis mine:}
Sammael said:
And if this doesn't indicate that 4e is not coming, I don't know what does.
TheGM said:
Wow, that's as bad as saying that "Since Hasbro put out book X or didn't put out book Y, it's the harbinger of 4E".

Note the publisher - an Imprint of Sams Publishing. Nothing to do with Wizards or Hasbro, it says nothing about their plans. Proves nothing, quit hoping.
I'm not quite clear whether you're saying that "4E IS coming, just you wait and see..." or you're misreading what you quoted. However, people have been saying that 4E and the sky are going to fall on our heads for two years now despite repeated evidence and clear statements to the contrary, so if you're saying "4E is NOT going to fall on our heads" then I think we're in agreement.

Turjan said:
You obviously missed the fact that the predecessor, D&D for Dummies, was actively promoted on the official WotC website and can be found in their product catalog. And don't forget the April website :D.
Not to mention that if they simply stick to what's in the SRD as far as referencing actual rules the whole "[gasp!] Can they DO that?" reaction is pretty funny. I mean my goodness. Next thing you know people will be writing... ADVENTURES and NEW RULES, and SOURCEBOOKS, and UNAPPROVED advice, and PERSONAL variations of the PH, and, and... gee whiz! Where will it end?"

Aeric

Explorer
I'm hoping it will be like an expanded version of Robin's Laws. I'm guessing it will be the very basics, in which case I will pass.

Maybe as a gift for someone in my group so I can play for a change...? :)

Now, if Paizo collected all the Dungeoncraft articles and printed them in a single hardcover, that would be awesome.

Remove ads