Now You Can Have A D&D Notebook!

Amazon has a new official D&D product -- the Dungeons & Dragons Bestiary Notebook Set, with a release date of October 1st. It includes 8 mini notebooks, each featuring a different monster, with stats and a brief history.

Screenshot 2019-01-31 at 18.58.03.png

Here's the description -- "This boxed set of 8 pocket-size notebooks pays homage to some of Dungeons & Dragons most reviled beasts and creatures. Each notebook cover features a different monster in a new, modern design, while the interior includes stats and a brief history of each creature. Hand-selected to include a mix of fearsome creations and fan-favorites, The Bestiary Notebook Set is a must-have collector's item for any D&D fan."

You can find it here on Amazon. It's probably of limited appeal, but collectors and gift-buyers might find it well-timed for Christmas 2019. (thanks to Rhineglade for the scoop!)

That's not all! There's also a Book of Holding! A D&D Journal -- "Richly packaged and highly customizable, this officially licensed blank journal is a must-have keepsake for Dungeons & Dragons fans of all levels. Each section of the journal is filled with gridded or lined pages and includes five spreads of interstitial artwork as well as a back pocket for storing character sheets and notes. Whether you're a die-hard dungeon master looking to plot your next campaign, or a part-time player wanting to represent your favorite game, this one-of-a-kind journal is the ultimate companion to any RPG lover's quest."

Last edited by a moderator:

pukunui

Legend
Why would anyone want a notebook with stats and lore about a single D&D creature in it? Seems pretty gimmicky. I really can’t see the point of this product at all.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
Why would anyone want a notebook with stats and lore about a single D&D creature in it? Seems pretty gimmicky. I really can’t see the point of this product at all.
I'm in the same boat, but I think 99% of the product's purpose is to be a D&D-branded notebook (for keeping campaign notes, tracking HP, etc.). The monster stat is just gravy.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
Depends on taste, some keep it simple with the green, blue, black Mead notebooks for keeping notes or some would rather have these with visuals of D&D related art....I’ll take the art please!

Product details list a 480-page count, so 60 pages per notebook. Then, for example, if the first 10 pages are all about the monster on the cover, that would leave 50 blank pages for whatever, including a DM writing down a campaign that revolves around the monster on the cover.

Besides, don't the monster sections of these seem basically the same as the detailed monster sections in Volo's Guide to Monsters? Or the old Monster Ecology articles from Dragon?

Though it is still not something I would likely buy. The big, fancy journal with all blank pages is more my thing. :)

Depends on taste, some keep it simple with the green, blue, black Mead notebooks for keeping notes or some would rather have these with visuals of D&D related art....I’ll take the art please!

Yeah, let the others keep the plain, boring notebooks that make it look like it is still the 80's and you have to hide your hobby from the Muggles. lol

pukunui

Legend
I'm in the same boat, but I think 99% of the product's purpose is to be a D&D-branded notebook (for keeping campaign notes, tracking HP, etc.). The monster stat is just gravy.
Undoubtedly. In my opinion, they’re putting gravy on plain cheese pizza, though. I just don’t see the point / appeal. I’d rather just have the blank “book of holding” than a mini notebook with a little bit of info about one D&D monster in it. Also, why include the stats? What’s the point? It seems to me like it would just encourage metagamey behaviour.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Probably the monster stats will be just on the inside covers, like those notebooks with diagrams and angles, and weights and measurements etc.

D

DQDesign

I really can’t see the point of this product at all.
I stopped wondering about wotc's modus operandi long ago. I'm just sad because the precious time of some layout employee, artist* and writer* was used for this instead of using it for a new TTRPG product.

*if the art and text included in those notebooks is new, obviously.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
The benefit to me is to have something that doesn't look out of place.

Undoubtedly. In my opinion, they’re putting gravy on plain cheese pizza, though. I just don’t see the point / appeal. I’d rather just have the blank “book of holding” than a mini notebook with a little bit of info about one D&D monster in it. Also, why include the stats? What’s the point? It seems to me like it would just encourage metagamey behaviour.

The point is aesthetics.

pukunui

Legend
The point is aesthetics.
I'm a graphic designer. I know about aesthetics. And the box is definitely aesthetically pleasing. I'm not convinced that the concept as a whole is, though.

To be honest, I think this is yet another sign that I am no longer in WotC's target market.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases