D&D 5E NPC Ability Checks and Stunting or...Ogre Smash

Tony Vargas

Legend
Just a quick post for clarification because it seems like we're still misfiring on the difference between "objective" and "subjective"
I found that in no way clarifying.

Let me try:

Objective: plugging a fictional circumstance (that the system covers) into play will always result in the same mechanic being invoked with the same chance of success/failure or range of possible results, no matter who's running it.
If the system doesn't cover it, the circumstance can't happen in play.

Subjective: Different DMs may run the same situations differently in terms of mechanics. The same DM may even run the same situation differently at different times. For that matter, a player may have more than one mechanical option in representing the same concept.

No?

I found that in no way clarifying.

Let me try:

Objective: plugging a fictional circumstance (that the system covers) into play will always result in the same mechanic being invoked with the same chance of success/failure or range of possible results, no matter who's running it.
If the system doesn't cover it, the circumstance can't happen in play.

Subjective: Different DMs may run the same situations differently in terms of mechanics. The same DM may even run the same situation differently at different times. For that matter, a player may have more than one mechanical option in representing the same concept.

No?

Very sorta for the Objective part...save for the last sentence. That doesn't apply.

On the Subjective part, the first two sentences are kind of a "system doesn't matter" statement. Definitely doesn't apply. However, your third sentence might.

Lets just focus in on one thing and see how this goes. Back to the primary example of the Ogre knocking over the tree. Just upthread I showed how this happens in Dungeon World.

[sblock]A Barbarian in Dungeon World has the Herculean Appetite of "Pure Destruction":

Herculean Appetites
Others may content themselves with just a taste of wine, or dominion over a servant or two, but you want more. Choose two appetites. While pursuing one of your appetites if you would roll for a move, instead of rolling 2d6 you roll 1d6+1d8. If the d6 is the higher die of the pair, the GM will also introduce a complication or danger that comes about due to your heedless pursuits.

The same Barbarian has these two moves:

My Love For You Is Like a Truck
When you perform a feat of strength, name someone present whom you have impressed and take +1 forward to parley with them.

What Is Best In Life
At the end of a session, if during this session you have crushed your enemies, seen them driven before you, or have heard the lamentations of their kinfolk mark XP.

In Dungeon World, the GM frames scenes around a very specific Agenda. The GM follows the rules and procedures, observes the GMing principles, and makes moves against the PCs accordingly. The players roll all the dice. In Dungeon World, Ogres take things by force, fly into rages, and destroy things with their amazing size and strength:

Special Qualities:

*Destroy something
*Fly into a rage
*Take something by force

So the PCs come upon a band of Ogres who have laired in a stand of trees near a major trade route (of course). The Chieftain offers them their lives if they give up all their wealth and perhaps a tasty limb to sweeten the deal. The PCs refuse. The Ogre Chieftain knocks over a tree on them. The Barbarian, unimpressed, meets the chieftans rage with his own appetite for destruction. He declares he is Defying Danger (obviously the falling tree) with Strength. He is going to catch it and heave it back the way it came. ALL of the DW follows the basic resolution mechanics of roll 2d6 + modifier (-1 to +3). There are 3 possible results (these would be the equivalent of subjective DCs); 10+ and you get what you want, 7-9 and you get what you want with a worse outcome, a hard bargain, or an ugly choice, a 6- and things don't go well for you (I make what is called a Hard Move) but you Mark 1 XP.[/sblock]

Play procedure involves:

1) Ogre knocks the frigging tree over. Why? Because the narrative depiction of Ogres viscerally tells me this is the kind of stuff they do. Why else? Because its my job to portray a fantastic world, fill their (the PCs) lives with adventure, give every creature life, think dangerously, and make a move that follows (it observes all of the other principles and follows from the established fiction and present situation).

It really ends there. I'm not examining this for uncertainty from any causal logic perspective. I'm not evaluating if this meshes with some idea of internal consistency of fantasy world physics (including all the process simulation components I outlined in my lead post). I'm not making comparisons to an objective standard to derive how difficult this task should be "in-setting" and then rolling dice to resolve. It just happens. Because this is happening to the players...who happen to be playing the protagonists. And its my job to do the stuff I mentioned above. There are no competing simulation or gamist priorities (except for the fact that the system is beautifully intuitive, "balanced", due to its elegantly integrated, exclusively first order resolution mechanics).

And besides, GMs don't roll dice!

2) The players have to deal with this falling tree RIGHT NOW in some way. The most basic way (if they don't have any tricks up their sleeve) is to simply Defy Danger (this is a move akin to a D&D Saving Throw). Well, the player of the Barbarian says "Screw that noise...I've got an Appetite for Destruction...and I'm STAAAAAAAAAAAARVING. I want to catch the tree and heave it back at the Ogre. Give him and any underlings he has something to think about."

The only uncertainty here has precisely 0 to do with Torillian-earth-physics. Simply:

a) Is the move genre/archetype credible? If yes...
b) Does the player have a specific move that we need to roll or do we just Defy Danger?

3) We resolve the move. Defy Danger Strength (which is the Barbarian's primary ability score).

Am I evaluating this against an objective standard (the common man, low level character)...to derive an objective, setting-anchored descriptor which qualifies its difficulty (Nearly Impossible)...which is associated with an objective value (30) for the purposes of mechanically resolving the action? Nope. The resolution mechanics for every...single...move (again) are:

Roll 2d6 + your character’s ability modifier; 10+ and you get what you want, 7-9 and you get what you want with a worse outcome, a hard bargain, or an ugly choice, a 6- and things don't go well for you (I make what is called a Hard Move) but you Mark 1 XP.

We find out what happens. Rinse and repeat ad infinitum. This is how play "snowballs" in Dungeon World.

To review:

Subjective Framing - The role of the players as protagonists means that danger, action, and adventure follows them like a magnet (by system design). This doesn't mean they don't have choice in their endeavors...but it does mean they can't choose to eschew danger, action, and adventure (at any point).

Conflict-Charged - All of the action is centered exclusively around the PCs' subjective interests (every moment of play should be thematically relevant to the PCs). Remember "skip the gate guards?" This is that. If we find ourselves spending any time on gate guards it is means something dangerous is about to happen and they're either an asset or an obstacle.

Resolution Mechanics - (i) Genre logic and (ii) play principles synergize with (iii) a unified dice procedure, none of which prioritize objective phenomena and causal logic as means to the ends of play.

Any help at all?

Nagol

Unimportant
Or to put it more generically,

In an objective game (as we're using the term):
  1. A situation exists.
  2. A party may attempt to engage it with any stratagem available in the game engine.
  3. Rinse and repeat.

In a subjective game (same qualifier):
  1. A situation tailored to the party and its current position is presented
  2. The party deals with in in a particular personal style
  3. Rinse and repeat

[MENTION=23935]Nagol[/MENTION] , that works pretty well. However, I'd just drop in "The game is wired to facilitate this." Its no happy accident that 5e's default includes mapping a hex-crawl with scaling at multiple levels (where the unit of miles and time become important to play) and then the Ranger's Primeval Awareness engages with the units of miles and minutes/level. Its no happy accident that one of the seminal tenets of Dungeon World is "make a map, but leave blanks" and some Ranger moves engage with the abstract "Undertake a Perilous Journey" mechanics on its own grounds (such as granting an automatic 10+ on the role you're covering - Quartermaster, Scout, Trailblazer)

Nagol

Unimportant
[MENTION=23935]Nagol[/MENTION] , that works pretty well. However, I'd just drop in "The game is wired to facilitate this." Its no happy accident that 5e's default includes mapping a hex-crawl with scaling at multiple levels (where the unit of miles and time become important to play) and then the Ranger's Primeval Awareness engages with the units of miles and minutes/level. Its no happy accident that one of the seminal tenets of Dungeon World is "make a map, but leave blanks" and some Ranger moves engage with the abstract "Undertake a Perilous Journey" mechanics on its own grounds (such as granting an automatic 10+ on the role you're covering - Quartermaster, Scout, Trailblazer)

Yeah the "subjective" game engines hew to the players react in the cinematic/cut-scene and the "objective" engines to "thing exist; the clock is ticking; what to you do now?" approach.

It's best to use a game engine well-designed for the game you want to run. One Strands of FATE game I was in was the GM's first with this type of system. He offered to run a post-apocalyptic survival game. What he really wanted to run was a "scrabble-in-the-dirt as you desperately fight for the resources to carry you through the day and maybe get enough to plan for tomorrow as you explore the setting" campaign well-suited a more "objective" game engine. It didn't last long.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Or to put it more generically,

In an objective game (as we're using the term):
  1. A situation exists.
  2. A party may attempt to engage it with any stratagem available in the game engine.
  3. Rinse and repeat.

In a subjective game (same qualifier):
  1. A situation tailored to the party and its current position is presented
  2. The party deals with in in a particular personal style
  3. Rinse and repeat
That is much clearer. It sounds very much like the difference between status-quo and tailored styles of encounter design, just generalized a bit.

And, as is so often the case in these close analyses, I don't find the labels appropriate. ;P

Part of my problem, in particular, with the 'objective' label is the first bit in your summary: "A situation exists." No, it doesn't. Either way, the DM invents the situation. He just may not consciously take the party into account when inventing it in the first case, while he takes care to do so in the second.

That's a stylistic thing. And while a game might feel like it's aimed more at one than the other, most can't stop you from using the one you're inclined to.

5e, in particular, passes responsibility for critical determinations to DM rulings as a matter of course, even in the most basic resolution, so you're very much free to go either way.

If there's a lot more to it than that status-quo vs tailored thing, though, I'm still missing it. (Probably, I'm just missing the strong desire to promote one over the other.)

Nagol

Unimportant
That is much clearer. It sounds very much like the difference between status-quo and tailored styles of encounter design, just generalized a bit.

And, as is so often the case in these close analyses, I don't find the labels appropriate. ;P

Part of my problem, in particular, with the 'objective' label is the first bit in your summary: "A situation exists." No, it doesn't. Either way, the DM invents the situation. He just may not consciously take the party into account when inventing it in the first case, while he takes care to do so in the second.

That's a stylistic thing. And while a game might feel like it's aimed more at one than the other, most can't stop you from using the one you're inclined to.

5e, in particular, passes responsibility for critical determinations to DM rulings as a matter of course, even in the most basic resolution, so you're very much free to go either way.

If there's a lot more to it than that status-quo vs tailored thing, though, I'm still missing it. (Probably, I'm just missing the strong desire to promote one over the other.)

It is absolutely a stylistic thing. But a stylistic thing that rules engines can make easier or harder for all the participants.

In the former, a developer will create situations for a variety of reasons that the players may or may not encounter and without regard as to the order encountered or how the party will engage if it does. The situations may be static in the absence of PC interaction or some level of development may be added to the scenario. The situations exist "outside" the characters in that fundamentally any or all the characters could be replaced and have little to no impact on the make up of the situation. Different parties may have different experiences with the situations depending on luck, tactics, insight, etc. but the nature of the situation is unchanged.

In the latter, the developer will typically create a series of situations on the fly. These situations will be based on results of previous situations, if any, and the nature of the characters present. These situations are typically inextricably linked to the characters and their current situation. Replacing characters would often lead to changing the nature of the situation as the original situation would no longer "make sense" for the group to engage.

Tony, I've tried very hard to convey it with a lot of words and breakdown of play example analysis of various systems.

But how about this. Step over into the "I like the way 4e did monsters better" thread. This is one example of so very many. Here is an informative (and pervasive on these boards) quote:

You might not like it, but the fact is that a sizeable portion of the userbase wants their game (meaning engine - mechanics and procedures) to tell them how the world works.

This is a statement effectively saying that "a sizable portion of the userbase" prefers an objective D&D game engine (mechanics and procedures) to that of a subjective one. I know you hate it, but in the Forgist sense, this is a Sim priority...which is effectively the prioritization of objective game engines and causal logic to simulate fantasy world processes ("to tell them how the world works"). All for the purpose of serial fantasy world exploration....which is very different from the relentless pacing of action/adventure centered around the thematic conflict and genre tropes important to PCs.

The functionality of monsters/NPCs prioritize different things (exhibition of living, breathing, biological entities with discrete agendas which can be entirely PC-indifferent vs interesting complications/obstacles that hook directly into/push back against the PCs' thematic goals...and are likely to be single-scene relevant most of the time), so they're engineered in different ways. All of these component parts are either objective (world-centered and PC-neutral) or subjective (PC centered and play premise relevant).

Tony Vargas

Legend
Tony, I've tried very hard to convey it with a lot of words and breakdown of play example analysis of various systems.
Acknowledged, and probably why I'm having so much trouble with it. :(

But how about this. Step over into the "I like the way 4e did monsters better" thread.
But, but... I only just now crawled out of it and am trying to scrape it off my shoes....

This is a statement effectively saying that "a sizable portion of the userbase" prefers
I am deeply sick of statements in that form, BTW...

an objective D&D game engine (mechanics and procedures) to that of a subjective one. I know you hate it, but in the Forgist sense, this is a Sim priority...
Hate Forge-isms or hate Sim? Well, yeah, OK. Both. Sorta. I don't like the way they're used to polarize the hobby into false dichotomies (or trichotomies, is that a thing?) and cut down perfectly good games and styles of gaming. But, y'know, aside from that...

effectively the prioritization of objective game engines and causal logic to simulate fantasy world processes ("to tell them how the world works"). All for the purpose of serial fantasy world exploration...
Which sounds like sandboxing and status-quo encounter design, to me. Is there really some other point to it, or is it just (yet another) euphemism?

Back in the day, there was a 'realism' debate. Fast-forward decades, and I've heard GNS, process-sim, verisimilitude, & immersion thrown around - but they're all just making the same points as the 'realism' debate decades earlier, and making them just as unconvincingly.

Realism, in whatever guise, is a component of an RPG experience. Not the be-all and end-all of the experience, nor even an indispensable foundation of it. Same with the remaining G & N of GNS. Same with the role vs roll debate. Same with everything that someone wants to point to as the all-important whatever that makes game X or edition n superior or terribad.

which is very different from the relentless pacing of action/adventure centered around the thematic conflict and genre tropes important to PCs.
Which would seem to subsume 'tailored' encounter design, and include storytelling styles.

The functionality of monsters/NPCs prioritize different things, so they're engineered in different ways. All of these component parts are either objective (world-centered and PC-neutral) or subjective (PC centered and play premise relevant).
They're all imaginary, so using 'objective' borders on the absurd. Aside from that, I guess I'm seeing your point - that 5e is hardwired for status-quo/sandbox play (or something slightly more comprehensive that subsumes both, the subtly of the distinction escaping me). I must disagree with that point, completely. I don't find 5e hardwired for that - nor at all, really. By the same token, I don't see how it couldn't easily be used that way if you wanted to.

In the kernel of the resolution system, it'd just be a matter of when you call for a roll and how you set the DC, which is always up to the DM.

Quick question to ask that I hope will be a little enlightening for GMs involved in this thread.

When your NPC Ogre has a go at knocking over the tree onto the PCs, are the resolution mechanics (and the evaluation of "uncertainty" related to them) answering "can"...or rather "should?"

Same goes for the 20 Strength Fighter/Barbarian with Athletics.

"Can this NPC Ogre/Fighter knock over this tree?" You then answer yes, no, or let us find out.

or

"Should this NPC Ogre/Fighter be able to knock over this tree?" You then answer yes, no, or let us find out.

Remove ads