• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E NPC Ability Checks and Stunting or...Ogre Smash

pemerton

Legend
You can create any probability curve you want, in or out of combat. Combat isn't special.
Mathematically, of course you can.

But in terms of game mechanics, what is the expecation? The damage/hp system for combat puts the probability curve into a framework that doesn't require the GM to just eyeball or fiat it.

4e used skill challenges for a similar thing, but that's only one way to do it (no opposed checks, a ratio of successes to failures).

Burning Wheels "Duel of Wits" social conflict system starts with determining a "body of argument" for each character; and checks (most of which are opposed) during the duel reduce the body of argument - so it plays similarly to hp ablation.

HeroQuest revised's "extended contests" are the opposite process applies: opposed checks generate "points" for winners, and the first character to X points wins the contest.

What would a similar system for 5e look like? There was some discussion in this thread, but it probably didn't exhaust the options.

Nagol

Unimportant
This is true, but again I think this all relies on a good deal of meta knowledge and then using that in play. Obviously, for games that have already established how all this works, it would be harder to adjust. But for players who don't know that the ogre has a 19 STR, or those who aren't as concerned about the mechcanical implications of that 19, it's likely not an adjustment at all.

It just requires experience trying to uproot a tree -- like farmers of all eras have. Replace "multi-hundred horsepower tractor" with "team of horses" and "5 minutes" with "at least an hour" if you want to make the observation tech-appropriate. I have more experience with the former. My grandfather had more experience with the latter.

It's not so much the player know how strong the average ogre is relatively speaking --though the magic gauntlets are entitled ogre strength for a reason -- so much as the PCs have a basic understanding of relative strengths - particularly in their area of expertise. A high-strength Fighter may decide to pull off the same stunt especially after seeing it in action. As a DM, there are three possible responses:
  1. Sure! it works!
  2. Here are the hoops you have to jump through
  3. No, you can't do that; you're not special enough.

The first has the PCs and the NPCs using the same rulings without regard to rules. The complaint a player might have is they can't really know what their characters are capable of since cool overrides rules. If cool moves become commonplace at the table, their on-sheet abilities lose value.

The second has the PCs encumbered in their attempts to be as cool as NPCs that don't need to jump through the hoops -- how encumbered depends on the hoop design. A player may point out it'd be nice if the NPCs had the same chance of failure in their attempts. Deciding the hoops ahead of time and using them for all such attempts (i.e. using rules) negates this complaint.

The third has the PCs the least cool personalities on the board since NPCs can throw down a "genre appropriate" cool action at the DM's discretion and similarly stated PCs cannot. A player may have an obvious complaint here. Even if an NPC only ever uses one cool move, there are a lot more NPCs walking through the campaign than PCs.

Should NPCs be capable of stunts the PCs cannot? Sure if the NPCs have abilities the PCs do not. If a PC works to acquire the same/similar abilities though, I feel the PC should be treated similarly to the NPCs. So if a high-strength PC gets enlarged, he should drop trees as easily as a Large NPC of similar strength. After all, why would it be genre-appropriate for one but not the other?

My two thoughts:

IMO "Becomes more reasonable after 10th level" in the DMG is not a call for floating DCs, just a statement that PC abilities do increase as they level up, so high static DC numbers become more achievable. It's a statement about the world-sim.

Conversely, I think the best way to treat ogre & tree is 4e style, as a set move, ideally written up pre-battle, probably with auto success for the tree-pulling and reasonable attack & damage numbers pre-set as part of the ogre CR. This is basically the 'cinematic' approach - ogre gets to pull up and use tree because it's a cool dramatic vignette that is integrated into Gamist play.

I think your first paragraph is the most likely explanation (complemented by IMO lack of foresight regarding clarity during the drafting process).

On the second paragraph, I do think all the 5e (martial) monsters could use more dynamic moves as part of their orthodox repertoire. However, that could be alleviated with more robust stunting procedures and, as [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] conveyed, the improved statblock solution skirts that issue (makes it a matter of prep rather than improv).

What do you think about the issue that has been recently presented (which was another impetus for this thread)? Examining the uncertainty of process-based action declarations from Toril-based physics (which are roughly earth-based given the source material) should yield that neither a 5e common man, 5e Ogre, 5e Hill Giant, or 5e Strength-archetype Hero (even an Epic tier one) can shove over a very average Sawtimber tree. But what if the below adjudication takes place:

1) Arbitrarily (and inevitably incoherently) mash (mythic or AD&D tradition) genre and earth-science (which is roughly that of Toril) causal logic together (which the rules text connotes the latter)...

2) then "say yes" to the Ogre (to ourselves, in effect) knocking over the tree (again, not even requiring consultation of the resolution mechanics)...

3) then either "say no" to the Strongman archetype (who can mechanically exceed the Str of the 5e Ogre, while having endgame Proficiency in Athletics...despite being short a few feet of leverage) or require a rather punitive consultation of the resolution mechanics (against...say...DC 25 or 30 - the proper D.C. for the common man).

(2) has been promoted. If 3 then occurs (and this dovetails with the D.C. 30...35? thread)...well, it seems like we have a problem Houston (or certainly IMO orthodox players like [MENTION=23935]Nagol[/MENTION] would have a problem).

Again, it seems to me that a lot of 5e GMs want to run the system like it's Dungeon World while eschewing crucial components of DW's focused Agenda and Principles. Not to mention that 5e's chasis is starkly different (complex resolution mechanics which intersect with a fair amount of units, precision, and derivatives vs basic, first order resolution mechanics for focused free form role play).

Thiughts?

Nagol

Unimportant
<snip>

Again, it seems to me that a lot of 5e GMs want to run the system like it's Dungeon World while eschewing crucial components of DW's focused Agenda and Principles. Not to mention that 5e's chasis is starkly different (complex resolution mechanics which intersect with a fair amount of units, precision, and derivatives vs basic, first order resolution mechanics for focused free form role play).

Thiughts?

That's been my take both with this thread and the DC 30+ thread from the summer. though you can fold, spindle, and mutilate 5e into such a shape (with some consequence to play and side effect artefacts), it's really not well-designed to support that playstyle. The game assumptions end up getting in the way rather than paving the way to a straightforward play experience. It'll work for some groups because everything works for someone; each group has its own taste, physics assumptions (like how easy trees are to uproot), and tolerance for how much they matter for play to be fun.

Using a system built specifically for those precepts would be my preference if I were to run/play in such a game, It also helps set table expectations around what play will look like. Rule of cool play can be quite fun, if it is expected and fits neatly in the system.

hawkeyefan

Legend
It just requires experience trying to uproot a tree -- like farmers of all eras have. Replace "multi-hundred horsepower tractor" with "team of horses" and "5 minutes" with "at least an hour" if you want to make the observation tech-appropriate. I have more experience with the former. My grandfather had more experience with the latter.

I suppose for DMs or players who have such experience, having this happen may have more implications. But for most folks....who cares what real world mechanics go into uprooting a tree? I would think that most players don't really care.

And I don't know if the maneuver in question on the part of the ogre must require the tree to be fully uprooted.

It's not so much the player know how strong the average ogre is relatively speaking --though the magic gauntlets are entitled ogre strength for a reason -- so much as the PCs have a basic understanding of relative strengths - particularly in their area of expertise. A high-strength Fighter may decide to pull off the same stunt especially after seeing it in action. As a DM, there are three possible responses:
  1. Sure! it works!
  2. Here are the hoops you have to jump through
  3. No, you can't do that; you're not special enough.

I suppose. The last of those seems a bit slanted, though, no? Wouldn't "such a feat is beyond a creature of medium size" or similar explanation be a bit more fitting? Again, there are things in the game world that the PCs cannot achieve in any game. Certainly if a PC said "I want to breath fire like that dragon did to us" you wouldn't say "you're not special enough" (Yes, a dragonborn PC can do it, but I think you understand my point).

The first has the PCs and the NPCs using the same rulings without regard to rules. The complaint a player might have is they can't really know what their characters are capable of since cool overrides rules. If cool moves become commonplace at the table, their on-sheet abilities lose value.

Lack of such a baseline knowledge or expectation could be a concern. I don't know if I agree that it would lead to the actual mechanical abilities losing value. I mean, the DM is there to let them know if something is impossible or possible, and if possible if a check is required. That doesn't really change.

The second has the PCs encumbered in their attempts to be as cool as NPCs that don't need to jump through the hoops -- how encumbered depends on the hoop design. A player may point out it'd be nice if the NPCs had the same chance of failure in their attempts. Deciding the hoops ahead of time and using them for all such attempts (i.e. using rules) negates this complaint.

I don't really follow this one. But if you mean that a player may complain that the ogre didn't have to make a STR check to knock down the tree, then I would say, as I have above in previous comments, that I would indeed establish some kind of house rule to address such concerns, i.e. Large creatures having advantage on STR checks or something similar.

The third has the PCs the least cool personalities on the board since NPCs can throw down a "genre appropriate" cool action at the DM's discretion and similarly stated PCs cannot. A player may have an obvious complaint here. Even if an NPC only ever uses one cool move, there are a lot more NPCs walking through the campaign than PCs.

Again, I don't really think this is very concerning. Because ultimately, those bad guys doing such threatening things? They lost to the PCs.

For me, it's about creating a dynamic encounter for the PCs to face and hopefully overcome rather than about faithfully simulating real world physics. Because that's an impossibility at some point, no matter what. The system breaks down eventually, no matter how strictly it's applied....so I just decide to only apply it where it is needed.

Also, I am not saying that you cannot allow PCs to attempt cool actions. Let them if that's what makes them excited to play. Because I said one thing was beyond the PCs does not mean all things are. Whatever idea my PCs come up with, I at least consider. But I think the whole "say yes" is meant as a guideline, not as an absolute. There are certain things the PCs cannot do....so sometimes you have to say no. However, I'm more than willing to give all but the most outlandish and farfetched of ideas a chance.

Should NPCs be capable of stunts the PCs cannot? Sure if the NPCs have abilities the PCs do not. If a PC works to acquire the same/similar abilities though, I feel the PC should be treated similarly to the NPCs. So if a high-strength PC gets enlarged, he should drop trees as easily as a Large NPC of similar strength. After all, why would it be genre-appropriate for one but not the other?

Sure, why not? A PC who has been Enlarged can do what the ogre can, too. I wouldn't have a problem with that. Why would I? What's to be gained by not letting that happen? Preservation of some semblance of real world physics? Meh.

I think if I compare the two scenarios....where an ogre and a magically enlarged paladin are knocking trees over at each other, and another where we stop the game to see if it's even possible, and then with a failure the ogre or the PC has wasted their turn.....I prefer the first scenario.

There are already many ways in which NPCs, in particular monster NPCs, are designed and function differently than PCs that I don't really see an issue with this. My goal is to keep things moving at the table, and for things to be exciting and dynamic.

Mathematically, of course you can.

But in terms of game mechanics, what is the expecation? The damage/hp system for combat puts the probability curve into a framework that doesn't require the GM to just eyeball or fiat it.

4e used skill challenges for a similar thing, but that's only one way to do it (no opposed checks, a ratio of successes to failures).

Burning Wheels "Duel of Wits" social conflict system starts with determining a "body of argument" for each character; and checks (most of which are opposed) during the duel reduce the body of argument - so it plays similarly to hp ablation.

HeroQuest revised's "extended contests" are the opposite process applies: opposed checks generate "points" for winners, and the first character to X points wins the contest.

What would a similar system for 5e look like? There was some discussion in this thread, but it probably didn't exhaust the options.

RE: what would a 5E non-combat mechanical analogy to combat look like:

In some cases, like the cliff-climbing example that's been given several times in this thread, the equivalent of damage/HP is distance climbed/distance to top.

In other cases, I've used a reputation mechanic. (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?484570-Reputation-and-social-achievements) Instead of depleting HP, you spend reputation on specific maneuvers/plots. If players want to abstract a given plot instead of plotting it out in detail, I'd just make it a series of opposed checks between them and their social enemy to see who gets egg on their face (lose reputation) and who gets the social victory (lose less reputation, maybe even gain reputation, depending).

Furthermore, HP recovery in 5E is so easy that there's not much practical difference between a HP-attrition system and an "N of M successes required" system. Either way, you'll either fail or you will succeed, and shortly afterwards you'll be back at full health and resources. 5E does not, by default, impose success with a long-term cost. If you want long-term resource management you have to invent it anyway, as I did for reputation.

None of these are as mechanically complex as the Burning Wheel system you mention, but it sounds like HeroQuest is almost identical. You're just consuming resources in a multi-die-roll contest, and the fact that HeroQuest flips it around and builds points instead of depleting them is mathematically meaningless. If you wanted to simulate an arm-wrestling contest you could just use "inches" as the metric of success, and the winner is whoever first gets 12 inches/causes the other guy to lose 12 inches. (E.g. you have each party make a Str check against DC the-other-guy's-Strength, and they gain a number of inches equal to the margin of success, or nothing on a failure. The sum of movement in both directions is the net movement per time period, which for simplicity you could make the round.)

Strong Brutus (Str 16) vs. Shrinky Ned (Str 12), if Ned has Athletics Expertise (prof x2 = +6) and Strong Brutus is an untrained 0th level laborer:

Round 1:
Strong Brutus rolls d20+3 vs. DC 12: gets a 23, earned 11 inches.
Shrinky Ned rolls d20+8 vs. DC 16: gets a 17, earned 1 inch.
Shrinky Ned is only two inches from losing.

Round 2:
Strong Brutus rolls d20+3 vs. DC 12: gets a 4, earns nothing.
Shrinky Ned rolls d20+8 vs DC 16: gets a 10, earns nothing.
Shrinky Ned is still only two inches from losing, his arm quivering there, almost touching the table.

Round 3:
Strong Brutus rolls d20+3 vs DC 12: gets a 23, earns 11 inches
Shrinky Ned rolls d20+8 vs DC 16: gets a 16, earns nothing.
Strong Brutus earns another 11 inches and decisively slams Ned's arm down on the table!

In contrast, two strong creatures (like Brutus vs. an Ogre) would be likely to deadlock for longer before one of them makes progress, forcing the other down inches at a time. I honestly couldn't tell you if that's sound physics/physiology, but it certainly does fit my image of how an army-wrestling contest between two strong guys should play out, so the mechanic was designed to enable that scenario.

I suppose. The last of those seems a bit slanted, though, no? Wouldn't "such a feat is beyond a creature of medium size" or similar explanation be a bit more fitting? Again, there are things in the game world that the PCs cannot achieve in any game. Certainly if a PC said "I want to breath fire like that dragon did to us" you wouldn't say "you're not special enough" (Yes, a dragonborn PC can do it, but I think you understand my point).

No, talking about size is an example of #2, "Here are the hoops you need to jump through." If the PC Enlarges himself to Large size, or wildshapes into a grizzly bear, and the DM still says no, that is "You're not special enough."

hawkeyefan

Legend
No, talking about size is an example of #2, "Here are the hoops you need to jump through." If the PC Enlarges himself to Large size, or wildshapes into a grizzly bear, and the DM still says no, that is "You're not special enough."

So are #2 and #3 separate? Hence my example being about a PC wanting to breathe fire like a dragon. Is the DM telling the PC he's not special enough if he says no you can't breathe fire? Can a player requested action ever be denied by the DM without it being seen as an attempt by the DM to make the PC not special? I would say so, for certain.

And as I said later in my post, I'd be fine with an enlarged PC knocking trees over like the ogre.

I feel like you focused on one sentence of my post and ignored some other parts that already addressed your concern.

So are #2 and #3 separate? Hence my example being about a PC wanting to breathe fire like a dragon. Is the DM telling the PC he's not special enough if he says no you can't breathe fire? Can a player requested action ever be denied by the DM without it being seen as an attempt by the DM to make the PC not special? I would say so, for certain.

And as I said later in my post, I'd be fine with an enlarged PC knocking trees over like the ogre.

I feel like you focused on one sentence of my post and ignored some other parts that already addressed your concern.

I don't have a "concern." I think you were just misunderstanding what option #3 was, because you've been pretty clear that point #2 is how you run it. So when you took umbrage to the description of #3, arguing that that's not a fair characterization of how you'd do it, you're both right (it would be an unfair characterization of your playstyle) and wrong (your playstyle is not the thing being described by that characterization).

It's like if someone said, "Smelly people are unpleasant to be around," and you said, "I resent that! I am a very pleasant person to be around, and besides, I smell nice." True, but beside the point.

Last edited:

hawkeyefan

Legend
I don't have a "concern." I think you were just misunderstanding what option #3 was, because you've been pretty clear that point #2 is how you run it. So when you took umbrage to the description of #3, arguing that that's not a fair characterization of how you'd do it, you're both right (it would be an unfair characterization of your playstyle) and wrong (your playstyle is not the thing being described by that characterization).

It's like if someone said, "Smelly people are unpleasant to be around," and you said, "I resent that! I am a very pleasant person to be around, and besides, I smell nice." True, but beside the point.

Okay fair enough. I think I am in fact a bit unclear on item 3 because as I said, I would expect there to be times that a DM must say "sorry, you can't do that" and I don't think that is the same as the DM saying "no, you aren't special enough".

Are those two statements interchangeable?

Remove ads