NPC mounted combat Q

I'm confused about one aspect of mounted combat as it applies to NPCs.

As far as I can tell, the rider and the mount share move actions.

Suppose you have a 1st-level soldier-type mounted on a horse. A horse gives a rider a bonus to damage on charge attacks. The horse also has a trample attack, which enables it (as a standard action) to move through enemies' spaces, dealing damage and knocking them prone.

The rider wants to charge an opponent, then use trample to run over other opponents on the field. Is this a legal combo?

If the rider/mount combo charges someone, does the horse still get to attack?

Saagael

First Post
Rider/mount don't just share move actions, but share ALL actions. Generally mounts work by giving the rider a better movement action, then the rider uses his standard action.

So in this case, you could charge, using the rider's basic attack (plus the bonus from the mount), but would use the speed of the mount. Using the horse's trample power would use the rider's standard action.

One way to make mounts simpler is to make a single creature that acts as the mount and the rider.

Rider/mount don't just share move actions, but share ALL actions. Generally mounts work by giving the rider a better movement action, then the rider uses his standard action.

So in this case, you could charge, using the rider's basic attack (plus the bonus from the mount), but would use the speed of the mount. Using the horse's trample power would use the rider's standard action.

One way to make mounts simpler is to make a single creature that acts as the mount and the rider.
Right, or just give the rider a special power he can use when mounted, etc. Note too that if one of the two has an AP they can use that to make an attack in addition to their mount.

Rechan

Adventurer
NPCs don't have to follow those rules.

You could treat the mount and the NPC as different monsters - so the mount gets its initiative and its own actions (assuming the mount is something more menacing than a horse).

Saagael

First Post
(Adventurer Only)

Ah, yes, sorry. I don't remember reading NPC-specific mount rules so I defaulted to player-specific rules. It's slightly more complex, but it gives the possibility for players dismounting the rider. If that's not a concern, the easiest thing to do would be to count the mount/rider as a single creature.

Remove ads