[NSFW] A Chilling Connection Between D&D, Myth, And The Real World.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luminous

Legend
I was browsing through my D&D collection and I came across the Demon Lord Abraxas, Master of the Final Incantation, also known as Abrasax or Abracax.
I know a lot of RPG demons are drawn from myth, but this is too much. You'll see why.

"ABRAXAS
CE male demon lord of forbidden lore, magic, and snakes
Unholy Symbol demonic face with two snake tails descending from a mouth encircled by a serpent"
-Pathfinder Book of the Damned

Before I go on, I want to iterate: THIS DOESN'T HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH QANON. I know some of you are already moving your cursors to "Ban" but please read on!

Does this sound familiar?
[Wikipedia]: "'These men, moreover, practise magic, and use images, incantations, invocations, and every other kind of curious art. Coining also certain names as if they were those of the angels, they proclaim some of these as belonging to the first, and others to the second heaven; and then they strive to set forth the names, principles, angels, and powers of the 365 imagined heavens.

— Adversus hæreses, I. xxiv. 5; cf. Epiph. Haer. 69 D; Philastr. Suer. 32'"

"'As a demon'
The Catholic church later deemed Abraxas a pagan god, and ultimately branded him a demon as documented in J. Collin de Plancy's Infernal Dictionary, Abraxas (or Abracax) is labeled the "supreme God" of the Basilidians, whom he describes as "heretics of the second century". He further indicated the Basilidians attributed to Abraxas the rule over "365 skies" and "365 virtues". In a final statement on Basilidians, de Plancy states that their view was that Jesus Christ was merely a "benevolent ghost sent on Earth by Abraxas".[8]"

So I've gone through D&D, and mythological demonology. What does this have to do with the real world?
Far too much. Bad, bad stuff that I don't want to recall, on any site.
But I'll go through the content I can handle. This information is copied from the following article released in 1998 (but it's still going on). There are many other sources that cover this, but I didn't want to go any farther down the demon rabbit-hole.
Source: https://cwasu.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Confronting-An-Atrocity.pdf

Marc Dutroux was a Satanic priest that repeatedly raped and tortured at least 6 girls and young women.

"One press report (Sunday Express 12.1.97) referred to suspected links between Dutroux and the self-styled Satanic Order of Abrasax based in southern Belgium. A letter found in the house of accomplice Bernard Weinstein (who Dutroux admits he drugged and buried alive) referred to the group and to the need to continue to procure ‘presents’ - in the form of human beings - for the High Priestess of the Order. The media were asked to withhold this information for many months. A raid on the group ‘temple’ - an anonymous cottage - resulted in seizure of hundreds of videotapes, racks of computer discs, two human skulls and jars of animal blood."

Does anyone else think D&D has gone too far? AND IS THIS CREEPY AS HELL?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Satanic Panic Part Deus...errrr...Deux?

Yes, a lot of D&D extraplanar powers were drawn directly from RW faiths and myths. Some were pretty nasty. Those were generally made into evil extraplanar powers.

Abraxas isn’t anything special.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
There’s really no “here” here. Some obscure Belgian criminal happens to claim he was some kind of devil worshiper and the same devilish name happens to be used in a role playing game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads