NZ Virtual Tour.

Zardnaar

Legend
Leaving Oamaru it's a 10 minute drive north to reach the turn off into the Waitaki Valley. In New Zealand microclimates are a thing. North Otago gets about half the rainfall as Dunedin and the Waitaki Valley and Central Otago have their own microclimates.

Heading towards the Southern Alps.

75b05d8.png

As viewed from South Canterbury not to far from the Waitaki Valley. The Waitaki river is a major hydro electricity generating river with 3 dams on the river.

The valley can support vineyards and berries.

Childhood memories of picking fresh strawberries. One for the bucket, two for me.

There's Maori rock art and the hydro lakes for swimming and fishing. In summer the temperature s often hit mid to late 30's.

Go far enough up the valley beyond the hydro lakes you find Lake Pukaki and Tekapo.

The lakes have amazing coloured water. Fresh snowmelt.

Very cold lake to swim in even in summer. Very dry and arid.

Feeding into Lake Pukaki the waters from Mount Cook/Aoraki.

3270305.jpg

NZs biggest mountain at 3700+ metres.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Mountains are mountains right? What makes NZ ones special? Here we have a lot of native birds not found anywhere else. This is a Kea.

8be008b.png

An NZ exclusive, the world's only alpine parrot. They are very intelligent, curious and not overly scared of humans.

If you're in the Alps you're in their territory. They love butter, peanut butter etc. You're not supposed to feed them but they're very good at feeding themselves and figuring out cat door and how to open zips or rip holes in things.

IMG-6d7f6293e19da8395790eb3ed0c767a5-V.jpg

As I said very dry and arid. There's dirt tracks and hiking trails. This is my nephew near Mount Sumner. My school camps went to Mount Sumner when I was 12. He's 6 start em young here.

IMG-5b57711d99f7fc4b7ea58c61ad411101-V.jpg

They farm deer nearby. Even in the mountains we farm stuff.

Last edited:

Remove ads