D&D 5E o/~ We dislike the spells, the spells that go boom. o/~ (Thunder Damage)

This is why perception and fixed DCs in 3.5e worked so well in many cases.
Ironically, the first thing I thought of when I read the OP was a thread about how the 3.5e visibility rules technically made it impossible to see a torch in a dark cavern. Squares of darkness provided concealment that you can't see through, effectively making a torch with which you have direct line of effect invisible once you're outside of it's radius.

Horwath

Legend
Ironically, the first thing I thought of when I read the OP was a thread about how the 3.5e visibility rules technically made it impossible to see a torch in a dark cavern. Squares of darkness provided concealment that you can't see through, effectively making a torch with which you have direct line of effect invisible once you're outside of it's radius.
what?

I remember that it was that the light source is clearly visible from 20× it's normal radius, double for someone with lowlight vision.

what?

I remember that it was that the light source is clearly visible from 20× it's normal radius, double for someone with lowlight vision.
3.5 PHB page 183 - "A heavily obscured area—such as darkness, opaque fog, or dense foliage—blocks vision entirely. A creature in a heavily obscured area effectively suffers from the blinded condition (see appendix A)."

Darkness creates a heavily obscured area, which blocks vision and also inflicts the blinded condition. By RAW, you can't see someone coming through the dark with a torch. This was a widely known rules flub back on the WotC boards when 3.5 was hot. Obviously, tables should just use common sense instead.

Horwath

Legend
3.5 PHB page 183 - "A heavily obscured area—such as darkness, opaque fog, or dense foliage—blocks vision entirely. A creature in a heavily obscured area effectively suffers from the blinded condition (see appendix A)."

Darkness creates a heavily obscured area, which blocks vision and also inflicts the blinded condition. By RAW, you can't see someone coming through the dark with a torch. This was a widely known rules flub back on the WotC boards when 3.5 was hot. Obviously, tables should just use common sense instead.
Book; Underdark, page 106;
Complete darkness; In darkness light source can be spotted(DC 20) at 20 times it's radius of illumination, and automatically at half that distance.
Dim light; light can be spotted(DC 20) at 10 times it's radius
Using distant illumination: creatures outside illumination can see into it just fine.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
It's magic, it does not follow the laws of physics. It's why a lightning bolt travels a long distance in a straight line instead of grounding itself at the nearest convenient point.

Book; Underdark, page 106;
Complete darkness; In darkness light source can be spotted(DC 20) at 20 times it's radius of illumination, and automatically at half that distance.
Dim light; light can be spotted(DC 20) at 10 times it's radius
Using distant illumination: creatures outside illumination can see into it just fine.

Obviously, that makes much more sense! Too bad you had to buy a splatbook in 3.5 to see a torch in a cave. ;)

Horwath

Legend
Obviously, that makes much more sense! Too bad you had to buy a splatbook in 3.5 to see a torch in a cave. ;)
Too me it was obvious that you can see a torch in NATURAL darkness outside it's radius. :p

This just gives precise rule about DCs to spotting it and how you can avoid being detected in Underdark depending on your light source.

I.E. if you have a "Glowing orb" spell, you can have any light radius between 0 to 60ft. So if you are really scared about being detected, you can have only 5ft "bright light" radius so you can barely navigate in darkness, but you reduce your radius where you can be detected to 100ft.
Or you simply dont care and you blast it away to 60ft.

Remove ads