Obi-Wan Kenobi (spoilers)

Stalker0

Legend
I agree that Vader letting him go seemed really weird, he seemed just happy with the torture (which was a cool scene), so I don’t know if I by the “he’s enjoying the chase”. I mean they been chasing him for 10 years.

Vader killing the people though seemed perfectly fine, as the grand inquisitor said, the Jedi code is an itch you can’t stop scratching. Obi wan saw what Vader was doing and couldn’t step away.

Phew obi wan needs a rocky montage to get back in shape, he performed worse than Rey in her first lightsaber duel

MarkB

Legend
Vader just killing people like Voorhees. Seemed out of character. to me he always came off as a corrupted knight not some sadistic killer.
This is the same Vader who kills his own subordinates out of pique the first moment they screw up? And also, what @Stalker0 said - this is right in line with the "make the Jedi hunt themselves" doctrine of the Inquisitors.

G

Guest 7034872

Have you seen Kevin Smith's Chasing Amy?
I have not, so no, I do not understand the reference.

On the latest episode, though, it's odd to say this in so short a time: all my previous complaints about the acting work of the girl playing Leia evaporated in the first five minutes. To play a double entendre on people who complained about the length of her legs (???), "I think the girl just needed to find her sea legs." And she did; she was completely plausible to me this time.

I still have small reservations about the character of Reva, but even there it's minor: I wish there were a bit more emotional range in her. A this point, though, that truly is a quibble and nothing more.

Tangentially, was I the only one who briefly confused Indira Varma with Natalie Portman? I had a few moments in there where I was saying to myself, "My God! Did they just sneak Natalie Portman into this show?" It was eerie.

Davies

Legend
I agree that Vader letting him go seemed really weird, he seemed just happy with the torture (which was a cool scene), so I don’t know if I by the “he’s enjoying the chase”. I mean they been chasing him for 10 years.
The torture is what convinced me ... he wants to drag out Obi-Wan's suffering for as long as possible, because (since Sidious has never told him that Yoda survived) there are no members of the Jedi Council out there.

Dire Bare

Legend
That escape tunnel has very strange properties. The woman who was helping them (not sure if we actually got a name for her on-screen) was able to go all the way back and then get out to the quarry area without encountering Reva, who was standing at the start of it. And then Reva was able to get to the other end of it without encountering Leia along the way.
I loved episode 3, but I was thinking the same thing . . . how did Tala (yes, she introduced herself to Obi-Wan) get past Reva? How did Reva get ahead of Leia?

Another fun fact I picked up while double-checking Tala's name on IMDB . . . Zach Braff voices Freck, the guy driving the hover-truck who gave Obi-Wan and Leia a ride!

This is the same Vader who kills his own subordinates out of pique the first moment they screw up? And also, what @Stalker0 said - this is right in line with the "make the Jedi hunt themselves" doctrine of the Inquisitors.
yes they mess up and he kills them. but killing the civilians just randomly doesnt seem like him. he works with Lando etc

Only a small part of the tunnel, or tunnel system, was shown. This is a mining area and one single tunnel running in a straight line seems unlikely, so Tala probably used a different exit and did not have to cross paths with Reva. Also, did we actually see Reva going through the tunnels? She could just have easily sensed the direction the main one was going and went back outside and straight to the port, where she killed the pilot and then waited at the tunnel exit for whoever would come out.

As for Vader, maybe he still has one weakness/fear and that is of fire, because of his near death in fire and lava. Sure, he started a small fire, but then Tala shot whatever that was and made it a larger and out-of-control fire, so perhaps Vader was having flashbacks to his near death and just did not act to stop the droid because of that.

As for the actor age thing, I am just pretending that Bail is not actually the same age as Jimmy Smits, as Smits definitely aged more than the rest of the cast. I am just glad they did not go with a different actor of a more accurate age or use de-aging CGI on him.

Edit: also on the age thing, Smits is 66, so maybe 65 when this was filmed. Bail was 67 when he died, so that makes him 57 or 58 in this show. I am now a little surprised they did not do a bit more with makeup and hair dye and stuff to make Smits look more the age of Bail.

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
Only a small part of the tunnel, or tunnel system, was shown. This is a mining area and one single tunnel running in a straight line seems unlikely, so Tala probably used a different exit and did not have to cross paths with Reva. Also, did we actually see Reva going through the tunnels? She could just have easily sensed the direction the main one was going and went back outside and straight to the port, where she killed the pilot and then waited at the tunnel exit for whoever would come out.
Possibly, but it didn't give the impression of being many branching tunnels, and Tala was confident of Leia being able to navigate the rest of the way unaided, which seemingly was still quite a distance (or, at least, she had to walk through that one 20-foot tunnel set they seemed to have at least three or four more times).

And how small is this port, if Reva can get there ahead of Leia and still have time to search through however many rooms there are in it, and find the one that has one specific tunnel leading into it?
As for Vader, maybe he still has one weakness/fear and that is of fire, because of his near death in fire and lava. Sure, he started a small fire, but then Tala shot whatever that was and made it a larger and out-of-control fire, so perhaps Vader was having flashbacks to his near death and just did not act to stop the droid because of that.
Yeah, I can buy that. The fact that he'd literally just raked Kenobi over the coals would have brought the pain of that traumatic experience sharply to the forefront of his mind, so he could easily be very nervous of the fire.
As for the actor age thing, I am just pretending that Bail is not actually the same age as Jimmy Smits, as Smits definitely aged more than the rest of the cast. I am just glad they did not go with a different actor of a more accurate age or use de-aging CGI on him.

Edit: also on the age thing, Smits is 66, so maybe 65 when this was filmed. Bail was 67 when he died, so that makes him 57 or 58 in this show. I am now a little surprised they did not do a bit more with makeup and hair dye and stuff to make Smits look more the age of Bail.
I just don't worry about tracking ages based upon real-world experience. The Star Wars galaxy seems to have human cultures that have grown up independently on thousands of different worlds, so there's no reason to assume that they all age or mature at the same rate as each other, or ourselves.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Liked this episode better than the last two, and appreciate that they did Vaders voice well. But disappointed it was a big jump in the plotting and lots of gaping plot holes

and why didnt Tala shoot Vader when she had the chance?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Great to see Vader!

So…. Jedi. Stormtroopers looking for a Jedi. Don’t they have a photo of General Kenobi, hero of the Clone Wars, Jedi Master, the famous guy they’re looking for? Anakin didn’t think to pass on what he looks like?

And “Hey you, the guy dressed in Jedi robes, so you know of any Jedi nearby?”

That aside. Yeah. Great seeing (and hearing!) Vader! And Leia is still great!

Remove ads